Eurovision 2018: The Eurovision, here we go, the Eurovision, what a show ...

Buckwheat

I doubt I'll make it to chat tonight but may get there late. Thursday should be a go and Saturday for sure.

The Greek song is dreadful -- as usual. It's basically the same lyrics over and over again.

You are the end and the beginning, you are my everything.
(Something like) I won't wipe you off the map (<- Not a fixed expression in Greek) 
(Something about) You won't change my color blue. (Makes no sense in English or Greek)

If anyone wants to torture themselves with a lyrics translation here it is.
Ωνείρο Μου "My Dream"

Cyprus may do well. The singer is Albanian and has been making her living in Greece. She rejected Greece's overtures to do a song.

Just now, Risto said:

Let me know if we do... :D 

Uhhh ... since nobody knows, maybe we should just make a giant group chat on the book of faces? But I understand not everybody wants to share their real name/profile.

3 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Uhhh ... since nobody knows, maybe we should just make a giant group chat on the book of faces? But I understand not everybody wants to share their real name/profile.

Damn... I have no idea... @Ran, any help here? :)

16 hours ago, dalThor said:

I doubt I'll make it to chat tonight but may get there late. Thursday should be a go and Saturday for sure.

The Greek song is dreadful -- as usual. It's basically the same lyrics over and over again.

You are the end and the beginning, you are my everything.
(Something like) I won't wipe you off the map (<- Not a fixed expression in Greek) 
(Something about) You won't change my color blue. (Makes no sense in English or Greek)

If anyone wants to torture themselves with a lyrics translation here it is.
Ωνείρο Μου "My Dream"

Cyprus may do well. The singer is Albanian and has been making her living in Greece. She rejected Greece's overtures to do a song.

I liked it a lot till I learnt the meaning of the lyrics...(some parts are just too exaggerated)

Greek sounds so pleasant to the ears....though

Ok, As promised....this is the translation of the Spanish song.....

I think there is an error on the official Online translation and I fixed it....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purple: Amaia

Red: Alfred

YOUR SONG

I would have never imagined
that travelling to the Moon could be something real

You turn everything upside down
when you kiss my forehead and I discover why

I can no longer
Invent it

I feel like I’m dancing for the first time
You’re the art that sweetens the skin

From my traveller mind, that is still at your feet...  
I feel like I’m dancing for the first time by your side, oh

I know that in you...I can find
that voice that warms me when the weather’s bad

Everything’s perfect if you’re
by my side creating a new city

From my traveller mind, that is still at your feet...

I can no longer
Invent it
I just want
Your song, oh, oh, oh

From my traveller mind,
that is still at your feet...  

Sorry Portugal, I really hope you will not win again this year... the four ladies really win the prize of the most annoying presentators of Eurovision ever. 

Sorry Portugal, I really hope you will not win again this year... the four ladies really win the prize of the most annoying presentators of Eurovision ever. 

the song is not bad but i agree with you. oh, tonight i will only be able to watch the second part...

the song is not bad but i agree with you. oh, tonight i will only be able to watch the second part...

I actually like the song. I just cannot handle those ladies ^_^

So, the IRC server is down, and I'm not sure we'll be bringing it back up. But there's plenty of IRC servers.

My recommendation is go to https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

Just use their default server. Set your name, set the channel to #Westeros, connect. You'll see you now have a #mibbit tab and should shortly after have a #Westeros tab. And there we are. It's a public server, random yahoos may or may not wander in, but I doubt it. I'm there, anyways.

So, the IRC server is down, and I'm not sure we'll be bringing it back up. But there's plenty of IRC servers.

My recommendation is go to https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

Just use their default server. Set your name, set the channel to #Westeros, connect. You'll see you now have a #mibbit tab and should shortly after have a #Westeros tab. And there we are. It's a public server, random yahoos may or may not wander in, but I doubt it. I'm there, anyways.

Mladen and I are here!

Here's short clips put in the running order, to give a preview of what the show may feel like.

Per the bookmakers, Cyprus, Israel, France, Lithuania, and Sweden are likeliest winners. Even money has Sweden in a top 5 finish. Norway has definitely fallen after the semi-final, with Germany touted above it (seems weird, but that's what the odds say).

So, just looking at the geopolitics of it all... Elenei from Cyprus was raised in Greece but her parents are Albanian, so essentially she's going to get a good boost from Greece and perhaps even Albania. I can definitely see the win potential.

I think Israel's support is probably a little overstated. I think it will fall off a bit further following the final. France is quite nice, but France is never going to win this. Lithuania, I can't even get. I think it's over-rated.

Then there's Sweden. All the continental Nordic countries are qualified this year, meaning a nice, big block. I think Ingrosso's almost video-like, really carefully choreographed performance is going to do well with juries even if they consider the song derivative (which it is). I think a top 5 is very likely indeed.

Now, there's running order. Fuego is next to last, the same position that Dima Bilan was in when he won in 2008, and Latvia was in 2002 when they won as well. Italy is last, which is actually a nice position, and given how wildly different their song is from what came before, and I admit this could go highly...

I don't know. Odds are on Cyprus, but I personally think Israel will disappoint, and Sweden and Italy will surprise with strong finishes.

Archived