Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

An Atleti masterclass. They had Arsenal's attack pretty much pocketed for the majority of the game. Oblak didn't have much to do. Atleti created more and better chances and deserved the win. Arsenal have paid the price for failing to convert their chances in the 1st leg when they had Atleti against the ropes. 

Switched over the Salzburg game midway through the half when it was clear Arsenal weren't going to come back. RBS have been well on top again. From what I've seen they would be well deserving of a final spot - more so than Ajax last year who rode their luck in the quarters and semis. Pele keeping l'OM in the tie surprisingly given he looked a weak link as they are missing Mandanda. He hardly covered himself in glory in the Leipzig games.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. just saw the replay. That shouldn't have been a corner in the first place. Slice of good fortune for Marseille.

Who cares though, seeing a Red Bull team go out like that just makes it more satisfying.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That should do it for Marseille. 

ETA. just saw the replay. That shouldn't have been a corner in the first place. Slice of good fortune for Marseille.

Yup. That's a hold-up if there has ever been one. 

But I don't care... a french club is playing an European final ! Not to mention the final will be played... in France !! (As much as I am hyped, I still totally expect Atleti to wreck us lol)

2 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

But I don't care... a french club is playing an European final ! Not to mention the final will be played... in France !! (As much as I am hyped, I still totally expect Atleti to wreck us lol)

To be fair, Atleti don't really wreck anyone, and if they give Payet as many golden crossing chances as Arsenal's players got tonight, you'd have thought he'd create a couple of goals with them.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, Atleti don't really wreck anyone, and if they give Payet as many golden crossing chances as Arsenal's players got tonight, you'd have thought he'd create a couple of goals with them.

Well, I can hardly see Atleti losing it, considering the experience they have in European cups.

As you pointed it out, they do concede chances, but should Marseille manage to cross a couple of balls, we still need some striker to finish it home. We do have strikers, but nowhere near the level of Costa, Griezmann, Torres...

Thauvin's goal in the first leg was a handball too.

As ever with Red Bull's sides, they are very watchable and the players likeable (except Timo Werner, obviously) but it is impossible to ignore what horrible clubs they are. Hopefully some of them can escape the Red Bull orbit by moving somewhere other than Leipzig. Especially Rose, who will surely be moving upwards but has no vacancy to fill as Hassenhüttl is staying put it seems. He would be a good fit at Dortmund if they aren't scared off by the similarity to Bosz, which they should not be as it is only superficial.

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's how Atleti like to defend though - more narrow to invite crosses where they have two of Gimenez, Godin and Savic plus Oblak. It works very well for them considering they are the best defensive unit in world football and have been for some time now.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

That's how Atleti like to defend though - more narrow to invite crosses where they have two of Gimenez, Godin and Savic plus Oblak. It works very well for them considering they are the best defensive unit in world football and have been for some time now.

Sure, I'm not making Marseille favourites, I'm just saying it'd be a mistake to write them off. Especially since there's a fairly good argument to be made that what works against most teams won't necessarily be as secure against probably the best crosser in world football right now.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sure, I'm not making Marseille favourites, I'm just saying it'd be a mistake to write them off. Especially since there's a fairly good argument to be made that what works against most teams won't necessarily be as secure against probably the best crosser in world football right now.

Sure, I'm not counting out Marseille. Anything can happen in a one off game. Just pointing out that pushing the opposition into wide areas is a deliberate defensive tactic by Atletico and has proven to be very successful over a number of years. It's also worth noting that both their first choice fullbacks missed the games against Arsenal and the 2nd choice RB played all of 10 minutes. 

21 minutes ago, mormont said:

Gerrard confirmed at Rangers.

I really wonder if he knows what he's getting himself into. 

I think he assumes he can always fall back on a youth coaching role at Liverpool if this doesn’t work out.  If this turns out badly, he’ll still have plenty of time to rehabilitate his reputation.  

Once you think about it, what has Gerrard to lose, really?

Rangers are in such a state that no one will really blame HIM if he fails there. If he succeeds, he could really make a name for himself.

Archived