Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

US not being in doesn’t really matter to me.  Watching as a neutral is more enjoyable for me anyway. 

It does for me. I'm a big football fan so I'd normally watch as a neutral regardless but there is nothing better here in NYC than to see so many people invested in football. The atmosphere is a large part of the fun and the lack of it makes me less interested in it as a whole. I'll watch it because that's what I do, but I don't care as much.

It is not just the US missing - Italy, Chile and the Netherlands too. That combined with the best four teams being a good way ahead of the rest makes the group stages look a little sparse. Also, on a personal level, this is the first World Cup since 2006 that I won’t watch almost every game of.

It is a shame as this will likely be the last proper World Cup before the Qatar farce and the unwieldy format post expansion make it less appealing.

Idk I’m fucking pumped for the World Cup. When Qatar rolls around I doubt I will be. 

Yeah, I'm also pretty excited for the WC. I hope it's another goal fest like Brazil and maybe have another unfancied side go on a good run like Costa Rica did in 2014.

I don’t watch United all that often. Are their matches always this dull?

A couple of good shots, and one really big chance for Shaw, but not much heartwarming play. 

Why do you think we've been moaning about that arsehole in charge all season?

Rooney likely coming to my club dc united. yawn.

front office having a rough time selling tickets to a new stadium after years of poor uninspired play, letting actual good players go and alienating the supporters who actually brought atmosphere and passion.

so. they spend a reported $16 million on a has been striker who looks like a potato. but this potato will sell tickets and has to be able to score goals more frequently than the poor attack the team has had all season. 

just another signing to help confirm mls is the retirement league. 

I’m sorry for you, MC. 

But Rooney leaving would be good news for me (well, that is, if it is accompanied by Allardici disappearing). And he has to go someplace..

But, yeah, it doesn’t help the MLS.

14 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

US not being in doesn’t really matter to me.  Watching as a neutral is more enjoyable for me anyway. 

I've started to type how I prefer when my team is in it, but just couldn't.

This will be the fifth time out of possible eight that my national team (Yugoslavia, then smaller Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro and Serbia) has made it to the World Cup tournament and it's usually not a good experience to watch them play. We've had one quarterfinal (old Yugoslavia, with players from other republics), one round of 16 ('98 WC in France, that crossbar Mijatovic hit from the spot against Netherlands still rattles in the back of my mind), placed dead last once (lost all three in Germany) and one huge letdown when we failed to advance from group stages with a pretty good group of players in South Africa.

Though there has been some joy in watching our teams play in the biggest tournament there is, I'm not sure it's worth all the crap they put us through.

You can tell that the WC is near when the diapers are decorated with football-shaped swedish flags.

Can't really muster any interest right now either, probably will once it's gearing up and I guess I'll watch Sweden's games at least with some friends. The usual pattern for me is that I'm pumped for the start, lose interest in the middle and watch the final stages. 

As far as the corruption of the football world goes, I follow Roma, which means I sometimes watch Juve. That combined with the 2002 WC showed me what's what in the footballing world early on in my football viewing life (started watching 2000) and I have yet to see any improvement. Of course, the FIFA and UEFA corruption is on another level, but it's just more of the same.

While I'm at it, slavery in Qatar and human rights in Qatar and Russia is of course terrible things, but seeing how we are simultaneously doing our best to make the earth uninhabitable for man, boycotting the WC on political grounds feels pretty low on my list of priorities.

As Northern Ireland never make it to World Cup tournaments, I have to choose someone else to follow. Italy are usually that team, so without them in it, it seems a bit strange. I enjoy the fanfare the Dutch bring to the World Cup, and the USA are always interesting to watch to see if they can pull off a decent run. As Chile have won the last two Copa Americas, I fancied them to do well in this World Cup, but they failed to even qualify. That's four quite big teams missing out before it even began.

As Northern Ireland had finally qualified for a European Championship in Euro 2016, along with the Republic of Ireland making the finals, there was quite a bit of buzz here going into Euro 2016, from both sets of fans. As neither have made the World Cup, there's very little excitement here at all, especially when compared to two summers ago; Scotland were the only British Isles side to miss out for Euro 2016, so if NI didn't do well, we could support our neighbours in the Republic, Wales or England.

Looks like I'm going to have to be an England fan for this one.

1 minute ago, Mikael said:

I'm sure you won't have to endure that for long ;)

Ha, probably. To be honest, when Iceland were playing them in Euro 2016, I was on for the Icelandic. I like seeing underdog teams do well in Euros/World Cups, so if we see Iceland vs England Round 2 in Russia, I know who I'll be supporting again.

Archived