Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What the fuck has been happening in Lisbon today? A crowd of 50 Ultras broke into their training ground and beat up the players and coaches, leading to a hospitalisation for Bas Dost. The squad is probably going to boycott the cup final this weekend, and you'd imagine a few will leave in summer, if not all of them (there's some chatter that they could have grounds for terminating their contracts if they show that the club failed to take proper security measures, or something).

All apparently because they missed out on a CL spot this season.

I've read that the club president is a major part of the problem. Apparently this guy is a former ultra himself and has been making inflammatory remarks about the team and coach even going as far as mocking them on social media and referring to the players as cry babies. When the coach and players complained he suspended them for a time. Basically, the behaviour of this populist, narcissistic cunt is probably the reason for emboldening other ultras to do what they did. I certainly hope all the players fuck off. They certainly have just cause for terminating their contracts. 

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Young, Rose

Midfielders: Dier, Delph, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Alli, Sterling 

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

We’re really restructuring atm. 

Along Allardici, CEO Elstone is leaving. Seems to be some sort of splitting up the responsiblity for that position - that is, we’re getting a new CEO, but also some people from the board step up to take charge of spesific tasks previously under the CEO (e.g the commercial side, the new stadium etc).

Also, Steve Walsh is either out or moving sideways, with Marcel Brands joining from PSV to become our new DOF. And a new manager will hopefully be incoming very shortly. 

And Rooney leaving, which is - unfortunaltely - overdue. We don’t need three slow number 10s - so the oldest needs to go. 

How the squad will look after the summer will be exciting to see. However, I reckon next season will see at best minimal movement in the table.

2 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

And Rooney leaving, which is - unfortunaltely - overdue. We don’t need three slow number 10s - so the oldest needs to go. 

Is he definitely going? I thought he was waiting for clarity on Sam's position. 

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Young, Rose

Midfielders: Dier, Delph, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Alli, Sterling 

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

At the moment I have two questions:

-who is the 1st choice GK ?

-why on earth do Southgate and Pochettino always pick that guy Dier ? I mean, EVERY SINGLE mattering Spurs or England game I have watched, I've seen him on the pitch and I've seen him doing some crucial mistakes. 

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is he definitely going? I thought he was waiting for clarity on Sam's position. 

I may have jumped the shark a bit on that one. However, if we get a somewhat half-decent manager, he’ll send Rooney packing. 

He doesn’t have the legs for the PL any longer - at least for a team wanting to challenge for the top 6.

6 hours ago, Notone said:

Be that is it may. I didn't say Hart deserved to be called up, you can still somehow feel sorry for him. Because it's a quite deep fall from one of the best 5 or 7 goalkeepers in the world to not even be good enough to be the first choice keeper in West Ham (no offense).  Some boarders seemed to enjoy it a bit too much. No idea if Hart is such a bellend that he deserves it.

Dude, I wasn't saying otherwise, just contributing to the discussion by suggesting a possible explanation for his fall from grace. I'm a City season ticket holder for the last 20 years so I have a lot of love for Joe Hart. I've watched him deliver some of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

Five full-backs seems excessive. If Southgate wants Walker to play tucked in as a wide CB, why ignore Bertrand who played a decent amount there a couple of seasons ago?

On 5/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Horse of Kent said:

Bilic would be a very odd appointment - as if they thought Kovac worked well so they'd just look at other former Croatia managers. This would be too soon for Farke. He has done a decent job at refreshing an ageing Norwich side, but the results on the field have yet to come. Next season, when they are without parachute payments and his side have more experience will be the real test. I'd look at Hütter, who won the title at Young Boys, and Buvac - who they've supposedly interviewed first.

Did I ever tell you I'm Fredi Bobic?

5 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

At the moment I have two questions:

-who is the 1st choice GK ?

-why on earth do Southgate and Pochettino always pick that guy Dier ? I mean, EVERY SINGLE mattering Spurs or England game I have watched, I've seen him on the pitch and I've seen him doing some crucial mistakes. 

Personally, I'd choose Pickford but it's very much up for grabs.

Dier isn't the best but England has a dearth of top quality in genuinely defensive midfield options.

8 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Five full-backs seems excessive. If Southgate wants Walker to play tucked in as a wide CB, why ignore Bertrand who played a decent amount there a couple of seasons ago?

Another that could have done a job would have been Cresswell, who has played as LCB for West Ham quite a bit. And he can cross-well...

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

I know you're a big fan of JWP, but is he really that good overall? I don't see that much of him, but he only seems to start roughly half of Southampton's games, and the fans of theirs I've seen talk about him hardly seem that impressed either.

He's definitely not as good as I wanted him to be when he first came through, he's quite limited, but I think quite a lot of the reason he doesn't start many games is Southampton in his whole time there have simply never really played in a way where he fits into the team.

In desparation situations though, I don't think England have anyone better for just knocking the ball into the box. Like I say, he'd be there for a very specific purpose.

1 hour ago, Warm-hands said:

Because Dier is still a very talented player and one of the very few England midfielders who can actually fill a playmaker role in some fashion.

Marseille started very well but they fucked themselves trying to play out from the back. It's going to be difficult for them especially now that Payet has gone off injured. Atleti did not have a good half - defensively they were solid enough but attacking wise they could barely string any passes together. It was like watching United. 

ETA. great goal by that man Griezmann again. Can't see a way back for Marseille now against this wall of a defence. 

I was rooting for Marseille when the game started, and I got my hopes up after the start. Now.. nah, Atleti has this in the bag. Shame, really, but there’s no way this defense lets Marseille through twice with Payet off. 

Archived