Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

We need a new thread!  Why did you make me wait so long?

The nerves may be building here.  As usual, I’ll be at work during the game and trying to maintain the illusion of productivity while checking the score, deciding not to check the score for at least ten minutes, agonizing for two minutes, checking the score again, and repeat. 

Hoping for a close and entertaining game, but overall, I would like to see Liverpool make the final and go onto win the whole thing.

Can’t believe I’m saying that about another English club, but there’s something likeable about this Liverpool team, and they’ve played some incredible football in the Champions League this season.

Only thing is, there’d be serious gloating on these threads if they were to win it...

Lallana travelled to Rome with the squad and it would have been a boost if he'd been fit but it's perhaps not too surprising he doesn't make the bench given how his season's gone. Looks like Alexander-Arnold is now Liverpool's 4th central midfielder.

ETA: Actually I'd probably be seriously worried if any of the players on the bench had to come on early in the game, even Clyne's not really looked back up to speed since he's come back from injury. That's not ideal.

Liverpool make four changes for tonight’s Champions League semi-final, second-leg encounter with AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico.

James Milner, Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson and Dejan Lovren are restored to the line-up in Italy.

Elsewhere, Jordan Henderson and Trent Alexander-Arnold are passed fit to start.

Liverpool: Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Mignolet, Clyne, Klavan, Moreno, Ings, Solanke, Woodburn.

3 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Hoping for a close and entertaining game, but overall, I would like to see Liverpool make the final and go onto win the whole thing.

Can’t believe I’m saying that about another English club, but there’s something likeable about this Liverpool team, and they’ve played some incredible football in the Champions League this season.

Only thing is, there’d be serious gloating on these threads if they were to win it...

Me too, just because of how seething all Man Utd fans would be. 

Jokes aside, I’d be fairly disappointed in any group of fans if they didn’t gloat about their team winning the Champions League - the biggest prize in European club football. It’s something to be proud of. 

It could even be good for other English teams in Europe if Liverpool were to win it, as it might spur them on and make them believe they can win it, too. After Liverpool won it in 2005 until Chelsea won it in 2012, English teams had a consistent spell in Europe in terms of reaching semi finals and finals.

ETA: 1-0 Mane. Get in! What am I saying???

On a more serious note, I found out at the weekend that Sean Cox is an acquaintance of my dad, and actually a close friend of one of my dad's best friends.  Sean (Coxy to everyone) is a big volunteer in the Dunboyne GAA club (that's a town close to ours).  His family is devastated, obviously.  It left my dad really rattled because it was only two years ago that he and my brother were meeting me for an EL semi-final tie at Anfield.  And the attack happened outside the Archer's pub, directly outside the Kop and stadium shop.  Just a regular guy, standing exactly where he should have been.  There was no police presence for some reason.

It's nice that Roma made the gesture before the game but it would be even better if Italian clubs would clamp down on the ultras.  (And that applies too to Liverpool and their fans who pelted the City bus).

31 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Now if Roma would just stop kicking lumps out of our players....

At this point you're just winding us up with these, right?

eta: that was one of the worst freekicks I've seen in my life.

Alexander-Arnold's not having a great game, he doesn't look like he likes El Shaarawy being quicker than him.

Salah's not been brilliant either.

ETA: I'd actually get Clyne on, Alexander-Arnold looks like his head's gone a bit here.

Archived