Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Swansea need a miracle.

A 9 goal swing in GD is a pretty big miracle.  It’s possible that Stoke will be demoralized and not turn up, and City could score for fun against Southampton.  But since Southampton know they just need to avoid losing by a huge margin, I think Swanse know already that it’s not happening. 

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

A 9 goal swing in GD is a pretty big miracle.  It’s possible that Stoke will be demoralized and not turn up, and City could score for fun against Southampton.  But since Southampton know they just need to avoid losing by a huge margin, I think Swanse know already that it’s not happening. 

It will need to be a ten goal swing. Nine goal swing gets the two teams level on goal difference but the second tie breaker is goals scored and Southampton have scored 10 more than Swansea.

Even if Stoke phone it in I just don’t think Swansea have enough goals in them to rack up a big score. They’d probably need City to win by 7 or 8.

This is a pretty brutal way for Swansea to go down. They looked doomed at the start of the season, Carvalhal came in and looked to have saved them and then they collapse in a heap with probably the easiest run in. It’s the hope that kills you.

55 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah I get the happiness and cheer in staying up, but when you see grown men take their shirts off, get on their hands and knees, and crawl around the grass as the 4th worst team in the league, it's kinda funny, that's all. I can fully accept that I'm the only person on this thread that will think this way on that. 

Quite possibly you're not. But you seem to be the only one who felt compelled to post about their feelings.

As for me, I just can't see the point in criticising people for being happy.

17 minutes ago, mormont said:

Quite possibly you're not. But you seem to be the only one who felt compelled to post about their feelings.

As for me, I just can't see the point in criticising people for being happy.

Fair enough. Posting on a board about your feelings seems to be the point of a board but maybe I'm off on that.

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Fair enough. Posting on a board about your feelings seems to be the point of a board but maybe I'm off on that.

Depends on the feelings, I suppose. :dunno:

Credit to Huddersfield for managing to pick up two draws on the spin away to Man City and Chelsea. They knew what they had to do last night and they did it, which is more than can be said for Chelsea. We have dropped an incredible amount of points at home, especially against teams that we should be beating.

Never felt like Brighton were going to do us a favour against Liverpool in the final fixture anyway, so it was always a matter of whether we would miss out on top four by points or by goal difference, for me.

Had we lost out on top four by goal difference and gone onto win the FA Cup, I'd imagine that might have been enough for Conte and the board to discuss the possibility of him staying beyond this season. I'm not sure that even if we did go on to win the FA Cup that it would be enough for both parties to be happy to continue into their third season together, given some of poor results at home.

I’m far from sure that this is the right place to ask, but is there going to be a world cup 2018 subforum at all? There are going to be games next month already. 

I'd imagine there will be, but there's not much point creating it now. We'll talk about it briefly when the preliminary squads get named on Monday but apart from that there won't be much chat about it till the real season is over.

When the friendlies start, that's when I'll start getting properly hyped for the WC.

Seeing as we’re robbed of Norway appearing (through the cruelty of not really being good at all), I don’t see why people will be excited about the WC.

OTOH, there’s this exciting manager to watch - on the sidelines for Belgium.

When the friendlies start, that's when I'll start getting properly hyped for the WC.

I can't recall a WC I have been less hyped about. And maybe it's early, but I don't think I'm alone. It's weird. 

I can't recall a WC I have been less hyped about. And maybe it's early, but I don't think I'm alone. It's weird. 

You're definitely not the only one.

It doesn't feel like a World Cup year at all to me. And that's with my country actually playing in the World Cup. 

At the moment, I'm more hyped about CL finals. Maybe when that's over I'll switch to World Cup.

Yeah, me too to be honest. I thought it was just general malaise brought on by Jose Mourinho, but apparently not.
I've started to get just a little more enthused as the date of Poland causing a diplomatic incident by winning the final in Moscow comes closer, though.

Same here.  A big part of it is not wanting to tacitly support Putin’s regime and FIFA’s corruption, but the international side of the game has felt stale for a long time too.  

The disinterest does seem pretty widespread, possibly for other reasons, because there is far less atmosphere building among fans and media compared to prior WCs. 

I'd imagine there will be, but there's not much point creating it now. We'll talk about it briefly when the preliminary squads get named on Monday but apart from that there won't be much chat about it till the real season is over.

I was hyped until I saw the prices of the tickets. I wanted to go and see a match, but even quarter-final ticket prices are out of this my world, so it’s kinda unlikely I’ll get to go. 

I don’t think it’s early, the entire internet is totally silent about the World Cup. Just because it’s in Russia people don’t like football anymore? Everybody is entitled to think whatever they wish about politics, but world cups are exciting, Russia is a beautiful country and its people are kind and helpful. What a sad agenda to not hype that. Maybe it’s just me and it has nothing to do with the location, maybe the internet has turned me into a minion that looks for conspiracy everywhere, or maybe I’m alone with this opinion.  In these cases, just ignore me. 

Same here.  A big part of it is not wanting to tacitly support Putin’s regime and FIFA’s corruption, but the international side of the game has felt stale for a long time too.  

The disinterest does seem pretty widespread, possibly for other reasons, because there is far less atmosphere building among fans and media compared to prior WCs. 

Also doesn't help that the US isn't in it.

Also doesn't help that the US isn't in it.

I don’t support the USMNT at all.  The acronym alone makes a mockery of the sport.  I don’t especially follow Ireland either because their football is such a dirge.  I usually watch Germany (ever since the emergence of the new generation of Ozil, Muller, etc), Argentina, Brazil, France, Spain, Netherlands prior to their recent descent into negative football, perhaps England just out of familiarity, and then whoever is doing something new and exciting in that tournament, e.g. S. Korea, Chile, Uruguay, the latest break-out African team (a different one every four years).  

So in footballing terms there’s just as much available this time, but the miasma around Russia and FIFA casts a pall. 

Archived