Iskaral Pust

Football: CLeaning up

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Young, Rose

Midfielders: Dier, Delph, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Alli, Sterling 

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

At the moment I have two questions:

-who is the 1st choice GK ?

-why on earth do Southgate and Pochettino always pick that guy Dier ? I mean, EVERY SINGLE mattering Spurs or England game I have watched, I've seen him on the pitch and I've seen him doing some crucial mistakes. 

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is he definitely going? I thought he was waiting for clarity on Sam's position. 

I may have jumped the shark a bit on that one. However, if we get a somewhat half-decent manager, he’ll send Rooney packing. 

He doesn’t have the legs for the PL any longer - at least for a team wanting to challenge for the top 6.

6 hours ago, Notone said:

Be that is it may. I didn't say Hart deserved to be called up, you can still somehow feel sorry for him. Because it's a quite deep fall from one of the best 5 or 7 goalkeepers in the world to not even be good enough to be the first choice keeper in West Ham (no offense).  Some boarders seemed to enjoy it a bit too much. No idea if Hart is such a bellend that he deserves it.

Dude, I wasn't saying otherwise, just contributing to the discussion by suggesting a possible explanation for his fall from grace. I'm a City season ticket holder for the last 20 years so I have a lot of love for Joe Hart. I've watched him deliver some of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

Five full-backs seems excessive. If Southgate wants Walker to play tucked in as a wide CB, why ignore Bertrand who played a decent amount there a couple of seasons ago?

On 5/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Horse of Kent said:

Bilic would be a very odd appointment - as if they thought Kovac worked well so they'd just look at other former Croatia managers. This would be too soon for Farke. He has done a decent job at refreshing an ageing Norwich side, but the results on the field have yet to come. Next season, when they are without parachute payments and his side have more experience will be the real test. I'd look at Hütter, who won the title at Young Boys, and Buvac - who they've supposedly interviewed first.

Did I ever tell you I'm Fredi Bobic?

5 minutes ago, Warm-hands said:

At the moment I have two questions:

-who is the 1st choice GK ?

-why on earth do Southgate and Pochettino always pick that guy Dier ? I mean, EVERY SINGLE mattering Spurs or England game I have watched, I've seen him on the pitch and I've seen him doing some crucial mistakes. 

Personally, I'd choose Pickford but it's very much up for grabs.

Dier isn't the best but England has a dearth of top quality in genuinely defensive midfield options.

8 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Five full-backs seems excessive. If Southgate wants Walker to play tucked in as a wide CB, why ignore Bertrand who played a decent amount there a couple of seasons ago?

Another that could have done a job would have been Cresswell, who has played as LCB for West Ham quite a bit. And he can cross-well...

20 hours ago, Notone said:

You kinda have to feel sorry for Joe Hart. 6 years ago at the Euros in the Ukraine and Poland Hart looked like the long needed fix after years of goalkeepig woes for England. It's really amazing how deep he has fallen from grace during the last 2-3 years. It really went downhill for him at an amazing pace since Guardiola arrived and announced that Hart was not the right keeper for his vision.

I've no sympathy for Hart at all, especially for what happened at City. Guardiola told him that there were things he needed to work on, and he responded by saying he was England's Number 1, and he didn't need to work on anything. And that was the end of that.

18 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think England should be taking at least one of Albrighton or Ward-Prowse, purely for the delivery abilities. Albrighton obviously having had a better season, and being generally more proven, but I think JWP is better just at pure crossing the ball in so in taking an otherwise fringe player for very specific potential scenarios he might be a better idea.

I know you're a big fan of JWP, but is he really that good overall? I don't see that much of him, but he only seems to start roughly half of Southampton's games, and the fans of theirs I've seen talk about him hardly seem that impressed either.

He's been around on the fringes of their team for a long time now, and never quite taken the step up.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

I know you're a big fan of JWP, but is he really that good overall? I don't see that much of him, but he only seems to start roughly half of Southampton's games, and the fans of theirs I've seen talk about him hardly seem that impressed either.

He's definitely not as good as I wanted him to be when he first came through, he's quite limited, but I think quite a lot of the reason he doesn't start many games is Southampton in his whole time there have simply never really played in a way where he fits into the team.

In desparation situations though, I don't think England have anyone better for just knocking the ball into the box. Like I say, he'd be there for a very specific purpose.

1 hour ago, Warm-hands said:

Because Dier is still a very talented player and one of the very few England midfielders who can actually fill a playmaker role in some fashion.

Posted (edited)

Marseille started very well but they fucked themselves trying to play out from the back. It's going to be difficult for them especially now that Payet has gone off injured. Atleti did not have a good half - defensively they were solid enough but attacking wise they could barely string any passes together. It was like watching United. 

ETA. great goal by that man Griezmann again. Can't see a way back for Marseille now against this wall of a defence. 

Edited by Consigliere

I was rooting for Marseille when the game started, and I got my hopes up after the start. Now.. nah, Atleti has this in the bag. Shame, really, but there’s no way this defense lets Marseille through twice with Payet off. 

Atleti put in a better performance in the 2nd half and managed the game very well. Deserved winners. 

Chelsea's hunt for a new manager dealt a blow, as Napoli have held talks with Sarri over a new deal.

My first choices would have been Simeone or Allegri, both of whom are unrealistic targets, though.

I wasn't overly keen on the idea of Sarri initially, but I've accepted that we are unlikely to even compete for the title every single season as we used to, so it would be nice to be entertained by the football we play, at least. For that reason, the idea of Sarri getting the job has grown on me, but it looks like he might be staying at Napoli.

Luis Enrique will probably emerge as favourite. Not totally sold on him. His wage demands will be high, and considering Chelsea will likely have to pay off Conte and his entire staff if he is sacked, Luis Enrique might end up pricing himself out of the Chelsea job, should he want it.

A wild card - an unlikely one, at that - would be Zidane, for me. He may not be known as a master tactician, but he seems to deal with dressing rooms well, which is a particular problem at Chelsea. Ancelotti did well at Chelsea, by managing the players and letting them express themselves on the pitch. To be fair to Ancelotti, he wasn't sacked because the team were doing terribly or because he had 'lost the dressing room'; he was sacked because we didn't retain the title in a period that the title was between Chelsea and Man United. The landscape has changed a lot since then, with more teams competing for the title, so you'd imagine Abramovich wouldn't have sacked Ancelotti if it was in 2018.

Like Allegri and Simeone, though, I don't see Zidane as a realistic target.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12962/11375385/maurizio-sarri-in-talks-over-new-napoli-deal

I don’t know why Jardim seems to have fallen off everyone’s radar. I’d have thought he’d be perfect for Arsenal and maybe worth a look for Chelsea now they’re having to adjust to some new economic realities.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I don’t know why Jardim seems to have fallen off everyone’s radar. I’d have thought he’d be perfect for Arsenal and maybe worth a look for Chelsea now they’re having to adjust to some new economic realities.

I've said before that I thought Jardim seemed to be the perfect fit for Arsenal. Given that they are restructuring their managerial system, though, I no longer feel he would suit. Seems like they want more of a head coach, with managerial duties that once belonged to Wenger now being handed over to other figures. With that in mind, it makes sense that they seem to be favouring Arteta.