Football: CLeaning up

Iskaral Pust

Unlike the other handball that's never a penalty.

Pretty ropey from Liverpool in the end but job done I suppose. It looked like they had the chance to see it out fairly comfortably after both of their goals but let it slip. Salah and Firmino not having great games didn't help.

OK, we just about saw it out.  I haven't seen it but all the Liverpool fans are complaining about another terrible penalty call against us.  Roma got two soft penalties and an unforced OG from us.

It sounds like the team was playing exhausted in the second half.  I don't know how we'll recover for the final, but we're there!

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

OK, we just about saw it out.  I haven't seen it but all the Liverpool fans are complaining about another terrible penalty call against us.  Roma got two soft penalties and an unforced OG from us.

They also had two nailed on penalties not awarded tonight in fairness.

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

It sounds like the team was playing exhausted in the second half.  I don't know how we'll recover for the final, but we're there!

Roma could'Ve gotten two penalties earlier (Karius against Dzeko in the 49th and TAA handball in the 63th) . The og looked funny, but Lovren was put under pressure by Dzeko, so he tried to hoof it away and hit Milner. So not sure I'd call it unforced. Unlucky for sure, but like I said Dzeko put some pressure on Lovren.

With the QF against City in mind, Liverpool have had their fair share of calls going their way. So Liverpool fans really ought to be quiet about the referee decissions.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Kicking El-Shawaary off having seen him rinse TAA repeatedly was a good tactic by Liverpool, and their constant use of hands in the box was only punished when too late, so their cheating was on point I have to say.

Liverpool better cut that out before the final because you just know that Real Madrid would get those calls.

Good effort by Roma though. Turning it around against Barca and coming close against 'Pool. If only they played it smarter at Anfield and went with a bit more conservative set up. 

Just now, Mark Antony said:

Ronaldo vs TAA and Lovren is going to be the stuff of nightmares. 

hope Liverpool can manage to not lose against Chelsea this weekend. Would be nice for the game against Brighton to not be a must win. 

Alexander-Arnold's problem was getting burned for pace by El Shaarawy and then losing confidence in his positioning because he was worrying about it. Ronaldo's not that quick anymore. I'm sure Alexander-Arnold will have him in his back pocket.

We're going to get battered at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

They also had two nailed on penalties not awarded tonight in fairness.

I heard that too.  And a penalty not given on Mane too.  Plus El-Shawaary had plenty of dives go unpunished (should have seen two yellows in the first game and been suspended tonight) before he really was fouled.  The officiating has been pretty poor in general.

But on balance of play over two legs, I think we deserved it.  It wasn't as comfortable as it should have been, but in both games we saw exhaustion ruin the second half for us.  I know I've been moaning about it for weeks but there's just nowhere to go at the moment in this squad to get the players some rest.  Arsenal played their B team against United at the weekend because they've nothing to play for in the league.  Liverpool's bench tonight was terrible.  And next we have a tough game at Stamford Bridge.

TAA unfortunately had a poor game tonight and was a weak link in defense.  Plus Salah and Firmino were off their game and that meant our defense was absorbing more pressure than they should have been.  Sounds like Mane, VVD and perhaps Robertson were the best performances.

No new injuries, no red cards.  We saw out the tie and were comfortably ahead until the final minutes and seconds.  If we can get enough against Chelsea and Brighton to retain top 4, then we'll have a couple of weeks rest before the final against Madrid.  We won't get any players back from injury, but we'll at least get some rest for these guys.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Alexander-Arnold's problem was getting burned for pace by El Shaarawy and then losing confidence in his positioning because he was worrying about it. Ronaldo's not that quick anymore. I'm sure Alexander-Arnold will have him in his back pocket.

Ronaldo usually likes to come off the left and drift into the box or more central positions so it is going to be TAA vs Marcelo mostly since Ronaldo has the licence to roam. Salah needs to have a good game in the final (unlike tonight) not just for what he brings to the attack but to keep Marcelo occupied as well.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Need Atletico to knock Arsenal out of Europa League tomorrow, guaranteeing that only five teams in England can qualify for Champions League for next season, meaning fourth place won’t miss out. Then Liverpool to be dead on and let their friends down in West London sneak into fourth place while the Reds go onto win the Champions League and qualify via that. Job’s a good’un.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

Ronaldo usually likes to come off the left and drift into the box or more central positions so it is going to be TAA vs Marcelo mostly since Ronaldo has the licence to roam. Salah needs to have a good game in the final (unlike tonight) not just for what he brings to the attack but to keep Marcelo occupied as well.

I was mostly being facetious but, yeah, Ronaldo's not going to be lining up against Alexander-Arnold and running at him repeatedly. He doesn't expend that kind of energy outside the box anymore, he mostly just stays central let alone coming off the left.

Marcelo frequently does basically play as a winger with the midfielders staying central but if Zidane's smart he'll go with with Asensio on the left and try and double up on Alexander-Arnold. It's the obvious weak point with his inexperience but on the other hand he's had some excellent games (like the first leg against City) when people have thought that.

While Liverpool was a bit helped by refereeing and good fortune (to say the least), I still have to recognize that they deserved their ticket for Kiev, considering their performance on both legs. (god knows it's rough to me to state that)

Of course it's cruel for Roma, considering their scored 4 while needing 3 in the first place. But hey, one does not simply concede 5 in a CL semi-final then qualify for final.

So it's going to be a lucky boys final. Interesting. As much as I am annoyed of Real pulling a back to back to back, the Man Utd blood that ruins in my veins totally prohibit me from supporting Liverpool, in spite of their brilliant football. So... come on Merengues ?

PS: I actually care less about CL football. There is one remaining french club in a European cup, that's all the goddamn truth I know.

I expect TAA will start the final. It's too much of a risk to start Clyne in such an important game. He might be fit but I doubt he is match fit. TAA has also had some great games mixed in with a few poor ones. I don't think he warrants being dropped. And he offers more in attack so while Marcelo could cause problems for him defensively, he (Marcelo) makes the most half-arsed attempts at tracking back so TAA and Salah could have plenty of joy down Real's left. 

I agree.  TAA will start if fit.  They’ll need to do a lot of work with him beforehand to prepare him for Asensio and Marcelo overloading the left.  But he managed well against Sane.  

Edit to add: can you imagine being TAA right now?  This is a 19 year old going to a CL final with his boyhood team, having just broken into the team this season and even scored a CL goal in one of the earliest games. 

Archived