Smudge: Martin's latest POV

Leonardo

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/05/01/george-r-r-martin-talks-more-about-the-winds-of-winter/

When asked what the latest POV was he was working on for Winds, GRRM said only Smudge.

People are confused, but I think this may be a reference to the book Misery, in which the author in that is bedridden and gets paper brought to him from the store for his typewriter of poor quality, which smudges. He typed out the word Smudge and then, well, smudges it lol.

I personally took this to mean Bran, as GRRM and Stephen King are fans of eachothers work. However that'sjust a theory and it could mean any number of things. Anyone else have ideas about this?

An alternate identity for one of our current characters... Like Arya has chapters as "The Blind Girl", "The Ugly Little Girl", and "Mercy". I can easily imagine it being the name of an identity Arya will take on, makes me think of a coal-boy or something in a castle. 

Either that, or it's all that's left of a character after encountering some Dragon-fire. As in, Victarion pisses Dany off, and ends up as a smudge of grease and charred bone. 

You call LOTR “the main story,” but if you had asked Tolkien, he would have said the SIMARILLION was his main story, his life’s work. Yet he was never able to complete it during his lifetime. Not because he did not care, however…

…Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.

I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

I find this quote the most telling from that article.

5 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I find this quote the most telling from that article.

Confirmation of what most sane people already knew I think.  I gave up on the books a couple of years ago.  He has other projects that he is more interested in now..  I think the best we can hope for is done he'll release the whole story in an Archmaester's retrospective point of view.

It's a damn shame but maybe after the quality of the last two books a blessing in disguise.  It's clear in hindsight he made a massive mistake with the pacing of the tale which made him have to rethink his original five year gap and he has struggled ever since.

22 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Confirmation of what most sane people already knew I think.  I gave up on the books a couple of years ago.  He has other projects that he is more interested in now..  I think the best we can hope for is done he'll release the whole story in an Archmaester's retrospective point of view.

It's a damn shame but maybe after the quality of the last two books a blessing in disguise.  It's clear in hindsight he made a massive mistake with the pacing of the tale which made him have to rethink his original five year gap and he has struggled ever since.

I didn't say it was surprising, just telling that he's voicing it as well. You do have a point about the last two novels, which literally were all over the place. The five year gap would've let everyone mature, grow and get where they need to be. Though maybe yes, the story's possibilities will be ever green in our imaginations at the very least. Unless something like happened with Jordan happens and someone else finishes it.

On 02/05/2018 at 3:10 PM, Unacosamedarisa said:

Either that, or it's all that's left of a character after encountering some Dragon-fire. As in, Victarion pisses Dany off, and ends up as a smudge of grease and charred bone. 

From your lips to Martin's ears! :D

On a side note, regarding Martin's comment about Fitzgerald and the others, he's made similar comments in the past. Before Dance? Or Feast? Can't remember, but there you go. 

2 hours ago, The Last Wolf said:

I searched and did not find anything on '' Smudge ''

You did your due diligence.

Just today an acquaintance of mine who is a substitute teacher gave me more information than I want o know.  He said. “I followed what the teacher assigned. The class watched Forest Gump”.   I asked, “What class was this?    He said, “History.”

8 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I almost wish that Martin had acknowledged he was going to be unable to finish the books earlier on, and dedicated himself to writing more on the television show.  That way we could get a conclusion to the story, and some decent writing along with it.

Now we are left with a television show that is poorly written, and has so many plot holes that it's almost unwatchable.  "Beyond the Wall" may be one of the worst television episodes I have ever seen.  And although I was convinced that we would at least get "The Winds of Winter", I'm losing hope that we will even get that now.  I still believe we will, but I feel like it is two or three years away.  And to be totally honest at this point, the only thing I really care about is how Stannis Baratheon's arc finishes.  Hopefully Winds will provide that.

The last two books definitely were not as good as the first three, but still had some good aspects.  A Feast for Crows was good just for Cersei's point of view chapters, and getting to see just how crazy she is.  A Dance for Dragon had the Reek/Theon chapters, which were so good I would actually skip other chapters just to continue reading them.  Basically everything in the North in that book was good.  Reek/Theon, Davos, Asha and Jon (Well, maybe not always Jon).

7 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Given Martin's attitudes towards fanfiction, I can't see him willing over the rights for someone to finish it.

There is too much money involved. Lawyers will step in, and somebody will figure out a way to do it. And, of course he is not our b!$@#, but that would be pretty cold blooded toward the fans, especially the hardcore folks who have been into this for one to two decades of their lives. 

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

There is too much money involved. Lawyers will step in, and somebody will figure out a way to do it. And, of course he is not our b!$@#, but that would be pretty cold blooded toward the fans, especially the hardcore folks who have been into this for one to two decades of their lives. 

If we're talking about the rest of Martin's lifespan, the time it takes for the legal issues to be fought out, and then the time it takes... whoever... to actually do it. Needless to say that's no where soon. I get the feeling Martin's already made his money and it doing things at his pace, and who can really blame him if he just wants to enjoy the spoils of his work? At this point I'm just content with the fact that we're going to get an ending of sorts through the show. Maybe that's even the loophole, a "novelization of the final three seasons" or something. And who knows, maybe Martin really is close to rolling out Winds.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

If we're talking about the rest of Martin's lifespan, the time it takes for the legal issues to be fought out, and then the time it takes... whoever... to actually do it. Needless to say that's no where soon. I get the feeling Martin's already made his money and it doing things at his pace, and who can really blame him if he just wants to enjoy the spoils of his work? At this point I'm just content with the fact that we're going to get an ending of sorts through the show. Maybe that's even the loophole, a "novelization of the final three seasons" or something. And who knows, maybe Martin really is close to rolling out Winds.

I mean if he dies (valar morghulis) before he finishes (valar dohaeris), there will be a ton of money still to be made off finishing the series. I can't see the publishing industry allowing that money to be unrecovered. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I mean if he dies (valar morghulis) before he finishes (valar dohaeris), there will be a ton of money still to be made off finishing the series. I can't see the publishing industry allowing that money to be unrecovered. 

That depends on who has the intellectual property to it if Martin dies. I very much doubt his publisher is going to be willed that, so just because there is "money to be recovered" doesn't mean it's legal. 

Archived