Smudge: Martin's latest POV

Leonardo

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

That depends on who has the intellectual property to it if Martin dies. I very much doubt his publisher is going to be willed that, so just because there is "money to be recovered" doesn't mean it's legal. 

No, but when the owner sees how much money there is (everyone has a price), and how badly the fans want it, minds might be changed. And if they don't see the light right away, the legal wrangling will begin. Just like the Hornwood estate, a bone that juicy will attract the hounds. 

On 5/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

You did your due diligence.

Just today an acquaintance of mine who is a substitute teacher gave me more information than I want o know.  He said. “I followed what the teacher assigned. The class watched Forest Gump”.   I asked, “What class was this?    He said, “History.”

Wait, is this bad??

I am a high school history teacher and I definitely showed Forest Gump last semester after the exams were over....

To be fair we also watched the Avengers movie Dr. Strange. Not a lot of learning happens after exams; everyone is burned out, including me.

As for the op, smudging is also what you call it when you burn something like sage to bless a space. Doesn't seem to naturally fit into asoiaf, though. 

Or it's a joke to imply he is working on nothing. 

My 3 year son recently got a book from the library about a dog named Smudge....but I doubt that's the allusion!

On 5/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, Rubicante said:

I almost wish that Martin had acknowledged he was going to be unable to finish the books earlier on, and dedicated himself to writing more on the television show.  That way we could get a conclusion to the story, and some decent writing along with it.

Now we are left with a television show that is poorly written, and has so many plot holes that it's almost unwatchable.  "Beyond the Wall" may be one of the worst television episodes I have ever seen.  And although I was convinced that we would at least get "The Winds of Winter", I'm losing hope that we will even get that now.  I still believe we will, but I feel like it is two or three years away.  And to be totally honest at this point, the only thing I really care about is how Stannis Baratheon's arc finishes.  Hopefully Winds will provide that.

The last two books definitely were not as good as the first three, but still had some good aspects.  A Feast for Crows was good just for Cersei's point of view chapters, and getting to see just how crazy she is.  A Dance for Dragon had the Reek/Theon chapters, which were so good I would actually skip other chapters just to continue reading them.  Basically everything in the North in that book was good.  Reek/Theon, Davos, Asha and Jon (Well, maybe not always Jon).

IMO the Theon chapters of Dance are the best chapters in the entire series.  If we don't get any more books I will be happy that we got this far just for those chapters.  Show watchers simply can't understand it when I tell them that Theon is my favorite character.

I think both Dance and especially Feast improve upon re-reads.  

18 hours ago, Bitterblooms said:

Wait, is this bad??

I understand that a movie shown in class has to be broken down into time(periods/modules) but for the life of me I dunna comprehend why a history class is watching Forest Gump.  A sociology class maybe.

Unless there is some super secret Smudge theory innuendo I would assume ---- martin's remark was off the cuff wit.

Arguably the greatest piece of literary work in the Chinese language is an unfinished novel written in the 1700's.  Many have attempted to finish it, there is even an "official" finished version.  But everyone agrees that all the attempts to finish it are far inferior to the original.

The book is also heavy in foreshadowing, prophecy, so the fate of many of the characters can be (somewhat) deduced through careful parsing of  the portion that was written, and there is a whole field in Chinese literature departments that specifically deals with this novel and attempts to guess how the author intended to conclude the story.

There are some parallels here.

Given his dislike of questions on the subject, his repeated requests not to be questioned and statements that he will not answer questions; I think he was being flippant; knowing full well that any answer he gives will be analyzed to death.  I feel rather sad that the relationship between author and reader has deteriorated to this point.

I read GRRM's use of the word "smudge" as his way of saying "the answer"

almost as if he wrote the name of the POV chapter (with a quill and ink on parchment) in response to that person's question, then quickly 'smudged' the ink so as not to give a real answer.

i think he was being playful.

and also, because i couldn't resist:

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ the word "smudge" six times in the first 5 books:

Catelyn VIII - AGOT

catelyn refers to the Direwolf of House Stark appearing on an approaching banner as "... a dark smudge in their center that could only be the direwolf..."

Sansa IV - ACOK

smoke rising from the southern shores of the blackwater rush "...its sooty fingers smudging out the stars."

Tyrion XIV - ACOK

Tyrion describes Ser Balon Swann's appearance as "...spattered with gore and smudged by smoke."

Sansa V - ASOS

upon inspecting her hair net after the Purple Wedding, sansa notices "There was a dark smudge in the silver socket where the stone had fallen out."

Cersei II - AFFC

reflecting on Lancel's appearance and his "mustache," while engaging physically with him, cersei notes "It looks like a smudge of dirt on his lip."

Daenerys V - ADWD

musing on the fate of the cities in her wake, Daenerys states "...yet it still seemed to her that the sky was darker to the southwest, smudged and hazy with the smoke of the Red City's passing."

On 5/15/2018 at 6:16 PM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Arguably the greatest piece of literary work in the Chinese language is an unfinished novel written in the 1700's.  Many have attempted to finish it, there is even an "official" finished version.  But everyone agrees that all the attempts to finish it are far inferior to the original.

The book is also heavy in foreshadowing, prophecy, so the fate of many of the characters can be (somewhat) deduced through careful parsing of  the portion that was written, and there is a whole field in Chinese literature departments that specifically deals with this novel and attempts to guess how the author intended to conclude the story.

You going to say what it is broheim ;)

I don't know where to post this elsewhere, but have you heeard that GRRM's novella "The ice Dragon" is being filmed for cinema as an animated movie? And according to different sources from Hollywood GRRM is gonna write the script by himslelf. At first it was a rumor, but now it is even in his "notablog" (The movie part, not the script part). This is him saying "F*** you" to his book fans. By now I actaully really like this guy. How dishonest can you be with your fans, and still having their full support? This guy is a genius. That, or his fans are all...well...

6 hours ago, T and A said:

I don't know where to post this elsewhere, but have you heeard that GRRM's novella "The ice Dragon" is being filmed for cinema as an animated movie? And according to different sources from Hollywood GRRM is gonna write the script by himslelf. At first it was a rumor, but now it is even in his "notablog" (The movie part, not the script part). This is him saying "F*** you" to his book fans. By now I actaully really like this guy. How dishonest can you be with your fans, and still having their full support? This guy is a genius. That, or his fans are all...well...

I hope that rumur about him writing the script is fake.

Otherwise grrm simply doesn t care about asoiaf fans. He lies to us all the time and now is putting as many projects as he can find between him and working on winds... It is better to just say he has no plans to work on winds as of now instead of these constant lies that the book might be published every year...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

You're talking about Dream of the Red Chamber, aren't you?

Not only is the greatest literary work in the Chinese language, it's probably one of the great masterpieces of human literature. Period.

Speaking of great Chinese novels, "A Song of Ice and Fire" series sounds A LOT  like the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"

• 4 weeks later...

Two possible things:

1. Martin has written himself into the proverbial corner and is having a very hard time in getting himself out. He may have pulled a LOST where he pulled too many threads and cannot put it back together. This results in long layoffs between books because he has trouble making it all work.

2. He has more or less finished Winds but is waiting for the end of the TV show to ride that high with a book release.

Archived