May - Reading 2018 - Have another?

RedEyedGhost

Finished The Fifth Season. I liked it, but not as much as other boarders seem to have. Good world-building and story, but it didn't impress me enough to jump into the next book yet.

Finished the Strange Case of the Alchemists Daughter.

Fun read, but it would be a bit weak and pulpy if it was not for the meta-narrative, which totally saves the whole to make it very enjoyable.

Not too sure I'm ready to jump in a sequel of more of the same, though. Without the surprise effect, I feel it could become tedious.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:41 AM, Errant Bard said:

Finished the Strange Case of the Alchemists Daughter.

Fun read, but it would be a bit weak and pulpy if it was not for the meta-narrative, which totally saves the whole to make it very enjoyable.

Not too sure I'm ready to jump in a sequel of more of the same, though. Without the surprise effect, I feel it could become tedious.

I absolutely dug this book.  I'm in for the next one, at least.  I'm just a sucker for pulling Victorian era literature string together into cohesive ideas...

On 5/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, aceluby said:

I had almost zero attachment to the characters, so when he tried to tug anything resembling emotion, it completely fell flat.  The characters didn't come alive for me.  Like at all.  Those books were such a slog.

Yes, I think that's broadly where I landed too. Not sure if I will continue with the series. 

Archived