Sign in to follow this  
RedEyedGhost

May - Reading 2018 - Have another?

46 minutes ago, aceluby said:

This probably goes in the unpopular opinions thread, but I thought the LPQ was significantly weaker than D&C.  

I agree but I thought LPQ had the better ending.

I'm still making my way through City of God by St. Augustine, currently 77% through the whole book.

However that has been my primary read, but I've been reading several books at home.  Foremost has been the rest of Sam Campbell's Living Forest series as I read Beloved RascalsSweet Sue's Adventures, and Calamity Jane over two weekends in the middle of the month.  The latter two books were a completely different format than the other 10 books Campbell wrote, but no complaints about them.

The only other book I finished over the course of the rest of this month as by Tacitus, Agricola and Germany, a book that contains his first two written works that happens to be the only works of his that survived completely.

Overall 7 books completed over the course of the month, see earlier posts in this thread to know the other three.

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

This probably goes in the unpopular opinions thread, but I thought the LPQ was significantly weaker than D&C.  

Exactly the opposite for me.

1 hour ago, Infidel said:

Exactly the opposite for me.

Completely agree. The Long Price Quartet is my favorite fantasy series. But I'm also a sap that loves when authors tug at my emotional strings. While I enjoyed D & C, it lacked the emotional ride of TLPQ.

Almost finished with Jemisin's The Fifth Season. Interesting world-building and story, but the "twist" or reveal was obvious from the start.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

Completely agree. The Long Price Quartet is my favorite fantasy series. But I'm also a sap that loves when authors tug at my emotional strings. While I enjoyed D & C, it lacked the emotional ride of TLPQ.

Almost finished with Jemisin's The Fifth Season. Interesting world-building and story, but the "twist" or reveal was obvious from the start.

I had almost zero attachment to the characters, so when he tried to tug anything resembling emotion, it completely fell flat.  The characters didn't come alive for me.  Like at all.  Those books were such a slog.

Finished The Fifth Season. I liked it, but not as much as other boarders seem to have. Good world-building and story, but it didn't impress me enough to jump into the next book yet.

Finished the Strange Case of the Alchemists Daughter.

Fun read, but it would be a bit weak and pulpy if it was not for the meta-narrative, which totally saves the whole to make it very enjoyable.

Not too sure I'm ready to jump in a sequel of more of the same, though. Without the surprise effect, I feel it could become tedious.

I'm reading American War by Omar El Akkad. It's about a US civil war that begins in 2074. I'm only about 20 pages in, but feeling good about it so far.

Slowly working my way through Gardens of the Moon. The world is very interesting, but I still don't feel I've gotten to know any of the characters that well, and I'm more than halfway done.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:41 AM, Errant Bard said:

Finished the Strange Case of the Alchemists Daughter.

Fun read, but it would be a bit weak and pulpy if it was not for the meta-narrative, which totally saves the whole to make it very enjoyable.

Not too sure I'm ready to jump in a sequel of more of the same, though. Without the surprise effect, I feel it could become tedious.

I absolutely dug this book.  I'm in for the next one, at least.  I'm just a sucker for pulling Victorian era literature string together into cohesive ideas...

On 5/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, aceluby said:

I had almost zero attachment to the characters, so when he tried to tug anything resembling emotion, it completely fell flat.  The characters didn't come alive for me.  Like at all.  Those books were such a slog.

Yes, I think that's broadly where I landed too. Not sure if I will continue with the series.