Was Stannis a good swordsman?

The Last Wolf

29 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

I think that he is average swordsman, just like Ned. This could be reason why he refused duel with Cortnay.

I thought it was because he resented having to risk his life for what should be his by right, plus it would lend credence to Penrose’s case by accepting the duel. Though given Stannis’ relative youth, his Baratheon height and muscle, plus the fact that he’s surely well trained, I figured Penrose would surely have lost the duel (albeit only just if we assume he was a great swordsman)

He actually mentions wielding Lightbringer at the Blackwater and it being no different to any other sword. So he did fight then. 

He's tall, had a formal martial education at a Lord-Paramounts castle and quite dedicated to his duty. So it's likely he's a decent fighter. Just not legendary tier like some famous figures and Kingsguard.

We don't actually know how much fighting he has personally done. It could be a bunch or not much. Did the Tyrells ever attempt to take Storm's End by force and had to be rebuffed? Did he ever lead a sortie? Did he fight earlier before that at Summerhall? (He recalls Robert returning before his lose at Ashford). Did he ever have to personal fight in his time in the Navy or the Greyjoy rebellion?

On 5/4/2018 at 0:29 AM, Kandrax said:

I think that he is average swordsman, just like Ned. This could be reason why he refused duel with Cortnay.

People who are in a worse position offer a duel. It means to reduce the opponent's credibility because he will refuse, and no one in a superior position on the battlefield would accept. 

On 5/3/2018 at 1:33 PM, The Last Wolf said:

We did not see anything of his abilities like swordsman, we only know that he has a good sword

There's a reference to the effect that Thoros's fiery sword trick ruins the blade, so Stannis's sword may not be all that good if Mel is using that same trick.

4 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

There's a reference to the effect that Thoros's fiery sword trick ruins the blade, so Stannis's sword may not be all that good if Mel is using that same trick.

I'm pretty sure Mel has just put a glamour on a normal sword, gonna be pretty awkward when he uses it and he has to send his nicked and blunt sword of legend to the blacksmith.  

Archived