Balon and Theon die in the Greyjoy Rebellion : what happens

Canon Claude

Obviously Euron would become Lord of the Ironborn so long as he agrees to swear fealty to Robert. But this means he doesn’t go wandering for all those years. He’s obviously still evil and crazy but how would he handle being lord of the Ironborn differently? With no hostage to the Starks, what would he do during the War of the Five Kings? 

Hard to say. We don't know how much Euron changed while he was sailing abroad in exile. Assuming that this was before he got the "Silence", before he went to Valyria and all those other places, we're left with a sociopath who raped Aeron and murdered two of his brothers. He might still rape Victarion's wife, but since he's the lord of the Iron Islands, he'd get away with it. Meanwhile Aeron and Victarion might try to undermine him, so he'd find ways to get rid of them. 

As to his actions as ruler? It depends on if his grandiose plans for world domination were there from the start or if he only got that way after he travelled the world. If he was always a megalomaniac, then he'd no doubt plan a second Greyjoy rebellion and strike when the WOTFK was happening. If not? Maybe he is just happy turning his former enemies against each other and raiding like the Red Kraken did. 

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Obviously Euron would become Lord of the Ironborn so long as he agrees to swear fealty to Robert. But this means he doesn’t go wandering for all those years. He’s obviously still evil and crazy but how would he handle being lord of the Ironborn differently? With no hostage to the Starks, what would he do during the War of the Five Kings? 

Everything satay the same. Euron becomes king, Ramsey betrays and sacks winterfell, Robb dies, Bran heads north, rickon heads to skagos

30 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Everything satay the same. Euron becomes king, Ramsey betrays and sacks winterfell, Robb dies, Bran heads north, rickon heads to skagos

Why and how would any of this happen? Winterfell literally only fell because Theon took it and freed Ramsey. No Theon means Ramsey is stuck in Winterfell's Dungeons until such a time as he is killed while impersonating Reek. He will not be able to go and rally the men in the Dreadfort and betray the North. 

Better yet Euron would have attacked either the Westerlands or the Reach because they make the better targets. So Robb does not even have to worry about the North being invaded. Better yet Robb wouldn't have even reached out to Euron and probably would have focused on getting the Vale off their asses and into the war effort. 

17 minutes ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Why and how would any of this happen? Winterfell literally only fell because Theon took it and freed Ramsey.

The sacking of winterfell was the key point that sends Bran north to be a greenseer, and Rickon and osha to skagos. It matters not if theon is not there, something happens so Ramsay can betray Rodrick's forces and sack winterfell. 

20 minutes ago, The Golden Wolf said:

. No Theon means Ramsey is stuck in Winterfell's Dungeons until such a time as he is killed while impersonating Reek. He will not be able to go and rally the men in the Dreadfort and betray the North. 

The Story only works if he gathers his forces at the dreadfort and sacks winterfell 

21 minutes ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Better yet Euron would have attacked either the Westerlands or the Reach because they make the better targets.

Why would Euron not attack the sparsely defended north? The Reach and the westerlands are still strong and well defended as of the wot5k 

1 hour ago, The Golden Wolf said:

So Robb does not even have to worry about the North being invaded. 

The north getting invaded is a huge part of Robb's story. without it, you might as well just write your own story instead of rewriting one as wonderful as asoiaf. 

1 hour ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Better yet Robb wouldn't have even reached out to Euron and probably would have focused on getting the Vale off their asses and into the war effort. 

Of course he would, and he would be double crossed, just like Theon did, and the story can continue as written 

No hostage? What maked you think that. They didn't take Theon hostage because he was special, they took him because he was the Greyjoy heir.

Asha becomes the lady and Euron a hostage. Or if only a man can sit on pyke then Victarion is hostage. If the hostage is to be a child then Asha is. No matter who dies and who ends up a lord, a hostage will be taken.

Baelor Blacktyde is also taken hostage and it is despite being a lord, possibly because there's no other suitable hostage on the main line.

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

No hostage? What maked you think that. They didn't take Theon hostage because he was special, they took him because he was the Greyjoy heir.

Asha becomes the lady and Euron a hostage. Or if only a man can sit on pyke then Victarion is hostage. If the hostage is to be a child then Asha is. No matter who dies and who ends up a lord, a hostage will be taken.

Baelor Blacktyde is also taken hostage and it is despite being a lord, possibly because there's no other suitable hostage on the main line.

But why would Euron care about any of his family members becoming a hostage? I don’t even mean his sociopathy, I just mean that given the nature of the world he lives in, Euron would be only too happy to get rid of a rival for the throne like Asha. As for Victarion, what are you going to do with such a hostage? He’ll just try to escape or find a way to get himself killed and then Euron has a good laugh over it. It’s not like Euron has any heirs, that’s why Theon was such a valuable hostage (in theory).

Asha gets married off to whoever Robert wanted to make the ruler of the Iron Islands.  Euron probably still leaves or gets banished.

Instead of Balon crowning himself during the war of five kings i'd expect Aeron would lead a rebellion against whoever the lord was and plot to put presumably Victarion on the seastone chair.

3 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

But why would Euron care about any of his family members becoming a hostage? I don’t even mean his sociopathy, I just mean that given the nature of the world he lives in, Euron would be only too happy to get rid of a rival for the throne like Asha. As for Victarion, what are you going to do with such a hostage? He’ll just try to escape or find a way to get himself killed and then Euron has a good laugh over it. It’s not like Euron has any heirs, that’s why Theon was such a valuable hostage (in theory).

Any brother he has is his heir. As for why would he care? Perhaps he won't but in this feudal setting people expect him to. Think of Tywin, Tyrion is worth shit in his eyes, literally so he appointed himm to Casterly sewers, yet when he is taken he starts a war on it.

What would your vassals think if you show them you are powerless to protect even your immediate family members or worse, even they are expandables in your game?

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

He blamed Ned for defeat and death of his sons.

I wonder why that is. Did he expect Ned to turn on king Robert as well or did he do something crucial during the fighting that we don't know about yet?

I could understand more if it was payback for "ruining" Theon.

20 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

I wonder why that is. Did he expect Ned to turn on king Robert as well or did he do something crucial during the fighting that we don't know about yet?

I could understand more if it was payback for "ruining" Theon.

I've always thought that he hated the Starks because he couldn't admit, even to himself, that he was scared of Tywin. The Starks taking Theon gave him a scapegoat to focus on. I mean, by all rights, he could've attacked everybody but instead he focused on the North while politely trying to negotiate with the Lannisters. Negotiation isn't really an Iron Born thing is it?

I don't blame him either. Given the choice between going against an unproven teenage boy or one of the most celebrated commanders in Westerns, who is famed for his brutal punishments, I'd attack Robb too. I mean, Balon had to know that if he attacked the Lannisters and lost once again House Greyjoy would be extinguished. Tywin was in full control of the realm this time after all. Robb, on the other hand, provided a much much safer target. He didn't even have a navy!

Balon and Theon die in the Greyjoy Rebellion : what happens

None of us can say because the story will be very different.  Theon is a pivotal character.  Taking him out changes the story to a significant degree.  At least in Westeros. 

11 minutes ago, UnFit Finlay said:

I've always thought that he hated the Starks because he couldn't admit, even to himself, that he was scared of Tywin

That seems pretty insightful TBH. 

13 minutes ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Given the choice between going against an unproven teenage boy or one of the most celebrated commanders in Westerns, who is famed for his brutal punishments, I'd attack Robb too.

Doran might not get much done but going with option "chill out" isn't all bad, good way to not turn able bodies into broken men. However the Ironborn seems to be almost to a man a gaggle of rapers, thieves and slavers so of course that wouldn't do. :rolleyes:

Seem like the returns on "investment" of a reaving campaign in the North has to be limited at best. Sparsely populated and not really overflowing with highly valuable, compact consumer goods like spices, gold and high quality cloth.

31 minutes ago, UnFit Finlay said:

He didn't even have a navy!

How is this a part of the world? The North has to deal with IB, securing trade (especially during the winter were any extra food is vital) and slavers from Essos and there is no organised navy? I could see a northern navy might have been in decline from lack of funding or a reliance on other parts of the Seven Kingdoms to keep them safe after the Conquest. But the fact that there is no navy is just...

Brandon the Burner is a top-tier idiot and a pretty weak hand-waving.

Archived