How would Ser Davos react to Stannis giving Shireen to the flames?

Stormking902

Lets say before the battle of Ice that is heavily theorized in this forum Mel is able to convince Shireens mother that the girl must be sacrificed to the lord of light to save Stannis and she will be granted a boy after the war for her great commitment and blah blah, Stannis wins a huge victory and takes back WF and he allows Mel to stay in his service and doesn't punish his wife for giving Shireen up to be sacrificed. 

Although Stannis himself didn't give the order he still allows the people who commited the crime to face no punishment which since Stannis is so big on laws means they commited no crime at all. 

What does Ser Davos do next? 

Pretty sure that's when Davos says "deuces" to Stannis! That goes against the Stannis he knows and looks up to. His unwavering loyalty to Stannis would definitely be questioned at that point. He's very much the eye for an eye guy...he punished Davos for being a smuggler but also rewarded him for saving Storm's End from starvation. The guy he respects and supports is the "one good deed doesn't wash out the bad" type of dude. Sacrificing his daughter by burning her alive...let's assume he even lives with that fact, would require some serious consequences in his eyes so if he suddenly dropped that belief because he won the battle for Winterfell doesn't support his character. Meaning he's full of bullshit and not worth the blind loyalty after all. Davos to Stannis: "Byeeeeeeee!!!"

20 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Although Stannis himself didn't give the order he still allows the people who commited the crime to face no punishment which since Stannis is so big on laws means they commited no crime at all. 

Stannis would not let the people who killed his only heir to escape justice. end of story 

Stannis would never give such an order.

It would be Mel and possibly Selyse. Jon noticed that Selyse never kisses Shireen's greyscale side + Wildlings running about how greyscale is never cured, it only sleeps + Mel...I can see Selyse allowing Mel to do it under certain circumstances.

58 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He would never sacrifice his only heir to win the throne. If it does happen it will be mel and mel alone 

10,000% agreed.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, say in television fan-fiction, is an idiot.

3 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He would never sacrifice his only heir to win the throne. If it does happen it will be mel and mel alone 

I wonder sometimes if there are several versions out there and everyone reads a different one.

"Yes, Your Grace." He does not speak of me. Davos felt a moment's pity for his cellmate down in the dark. He knew he should keep silent, but he was tired and sick of heart, and he heard himself say, "Sire, Lord Florent meant no treason."
"Do smugglers have another name for it? I made him Hand, and he would have sold my rights for a bowl of pease porridge. He would even have given them Shireen. Mineonly child, he would have wed to a bastard born of incest." The king's voice was thick with anger.

Stannis would never give such an order.

It would be Mel and possibly Selyse. Jon noticed that Selyse never kisses Shireen's greyscale side + Wildlings running about how greyscale is never cured, it only sleeps + Mel...I can see Selyse allowing Mel to do it under certain circumstances.

Exactly which is why I said Selyse and Mel made the decision, Stannis just lived with it. 

This war has far more at stake than who can rule a country; it's outcome may determine the survival of mankind as a whole. Martin is cited to have given D&D the idea of burning the girl so there's a real chance.of this happening in his next book. Stannis had a pretty good chance of deciding to burn Edric Storm, his bastard nephew, for an r  in this war; I don't think Shireen is absolutelyse  safe from that possibility if  gets to talking about it being absolutely necessary, and his duty as king and if he gets defeated you know say things Shireen is going to die anyway swiftly, and that she would never have a chance of taking the throne since she'd be seen as the grey-scale afflicted daughter of a failed Usurpher who had tried to steal his nephews throne. At least with sacrificing her him he deprives his enemies to have her humiliated, and have her die for the noblest purpose there could possibly be.

Exactly which is why I said Selyse and Mel made the decision, Stannis just lived with it. 

I don't see book Stannis going along with this at all, definitely not shrugging off burning alive his only daughter for whom he seems to have genuine affection and saying "whatevs". And I also don't see him just living with Mel and/or Selyse doing this with his knowledge as it's very poor form for a king to look like others are calling the shots, especially over something this big.

Your OP is confusing. In the text your scenario states that Stannis had no knowledge of sacrificing Shireen thus Davos couldn't hold Stannis accountable, but your title asks what would Davos do if Stannis sacrificed Shireen implying Stannis does actively make this choice. As I'm not sure where you're coming from, I just stated what I think on the subject.

You know if Melisandre did give Shireen to the fire without Stannis's approval; I can't help but suspect it'd to due with Shireen's greyscale being awakened by Patchface. Many have postulated the theory of their being far more to the fool, something supernatural, perhaps a servent of the drowned or another dark force. And some have suggested Shireen's greyscale will break out again. I can see Melisandre attempting to cease the spread of a grey scale epidemic through destroying its source which apparently is Shireen.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, Stormking902 said:

Lets say before the battle of Ice that is heavily theorized in this forum Mel is able to convince Shireens mother that the girl must be sacrificed to the lord of light to save Stannis and she will be granted a boy after the war for her great commitment and blah blah, Stannis wins a huge victory and takes back WF and he allows Mel to stay in his service and doesn't punish his wife for giving Shireen up to be sacrificed. 

Nothing . His anger would be against Selyse and Melisandre , but Davos is no fool Selyse is his queen and he knows what Melisandre can do , and unless he wants a shadow baby in his future he would . He would do nothing .

Just about every other lord in Westeros would have quickly sent away his female child if she had greyscale. Stannis refused to lose her and did everything in his power to cure her, risking himself and many others. I don't see him ever consenting to such a thing.

The only way I see him giving someone a pass is if the in the middle of the Long Night the Others have gotten through the Wall and are about to kill everyone including Shireen. Then Mel burned her and it somehow repelled the Others back enough for an escape. Then Stannis would be forced to wait out the war to chop her head off.

1 hour ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Just about every other lord in Westeros would have quickly sent away his female child if she had greyscale. Stannis refused to lose her and did everything in his power to cure her, risking himself and many others. I don't see him ever consenting to such a thing.

Eh? It's not as though he doesn't have the means to isolate her and doubtful he'd allow anyone but the maestros near her to which severely diminish the chance of spread. I imagine he tried every recommended to treat the disease by the maestor but I don't imagine most lords doing that much different; so long as the basic safety precautions are met there should be very little threat of this breaking out into a pandemic.

And ship them off to where? And whose to say Stannis didn't ship her off to somewhere like the citadel to get treatment until the contagious period passes? There's being dutiful and there just being unreasonable. 

I'm certain Stannis would have Mel and Selyse killed if they sacrificed Shireen behind his back. I can see him making the decision himself if the situation was dire enough, like if the Others have breached the Wall, but he's not the sort of person who would let others make the decision for him. He ejected most of the king's men from within his inner council because they smuggled Edric away, even though Davos convinced him after-the-fact that it was the proper thing to do, because it wasn't their decision to make. 

Archived