Jump to content
Stormking902

How would Ser Davos react to Stannis giving Shireen to the flames?

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yes he did say/ "pray harder"-in response to them suggesting, that they start just sacrificing non-believers at randomn to try to get the red god's power. He still does them however for those who've been found to have committed a crime. I honestly don't see the "change in behavior" people keep citing, what exactly is Stannis doing or not doing now that is so diffrent from what he has done when he's been with her?

Numerous times during the King’s Prize chapter Stannis refused to allow an offering to be made. In the Sacrifice chapter there was indeed a burning. I usually provide the book & chapter so that people who are interested can read quote content for context.

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice      The four flesh-eaters were naked when Ser Clayton drove them out, their wrists lashed behind their backs with leathern cords. The youngest of them wept as he stumbled through the snow. Two others walked like men already dead, eyes fixed upon the ground. Asha was surprised to see how ordinary they appeared. Not monsters, she realized, only men./

In the previous chapter, the King’s Prize, when Stannis' men were struggling to march against the snow storm, Stannis made his infamous quote:

A Dance with Dragons - The Kings Prize       "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."     "Half my army is made up of unbelievers," Stannis had replied. "I will have no burnings. Pray harder."/

Stannis appears to me as be a cold, hard and stern individual.  Stannis could not abide flesh eaters. He eased the stress of his minions by granting the R’hllor worshipers a sacrifice of the flesh eaters.

Now that the complaints about the character Stannis and Stannis’ character have been expressed what would you have written differently?

As to the opening post --- I think Davos would leave Stannis’s service.

As to the Mel Stannis thing ---- one of her powders or potions included a smoke for lust. Could she have perchance used that on Stannis? Keep in mind as of the end of DwD her chest of stuff is now three quarters empty.

A Dance with Dragons - Melisandre I      The carved chest that she had brought across the narrow sea was more than three-quarters empty now. And while Melisandre had the knowledge to make more powders, she lacked many rare ingredients./

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

It makes sense to you that Stannis abandoned his brother to mercy of poisoner? It makes sense to you that Stannis ensured that his brother and king remained ignorant about the fact that he had no trueborn heirs of his own body?

The Lysa & LF thing is not revealed until much later. Eddard died because he followed a trail. A trail that included Stannis & JA.

Posters can't have it both ways. Eddard not telling King Bob the truth while King Bob was dying was a kindness.

Eddard turning down Renly and informing Cersei was naive. That however is the story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Stannis doesn't want to be mean and cold but he is. He is actually one of the most dangerous man in Westeros if you look at how he deals with people.

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

umerous times during the King’s Prize chapter Stannis refused to allow an offering to be made. In the Sacrifice chapter there was indeed a burning. I usually provide the book & chapter so that people who are interested can read quote content for context

He refused to sacrifice unbelievers at random yes; criminals are fine. Where exactly is this change in behaior? what exactly is Stannis really doing now that he didnt do when he was with Melisandre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The Lysa & LF thing is not revealed until much later.

Yeah, Stannis still suspected Arryn was offed by the lanisters and didn't tell Robert.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Posters can't have it both ways. Eddard not telling King Bob the truth while King Bob was dying was a kindness.

Eddard turning down Renly and informing Cersei was naive. That however is the story.

Ned and Stannis both failed their duty to their king.

However where as Ned, didnt tell his friend on his death bed the truth to spare his friend some heartache in the last moments of his life, Stannis didnt tell his brother out of pure self-interest even if not doing so keeps the king's life in jepordy.

One is out an act of love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He refused to sacrifice unbelievers at random yes; criminals are fine. Where exactly is this change in behaior? what exactly is Stannis really doing now that he didnt do when he was with Melisandre?

Nuttin, nada, zip.

Then again, a person must needs to believe in majics of ASOIAF.

You aren't going to get a serious answer from me.

Except when I say Stannis isn't going to agree to kill his heir. AND if  Stannis does agree to kill his heir Davos will leave Stannis' service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Nuttin, nada, zip.

What exactly is this in response to?

 

5 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

 You aren't going to get a serious answer from me.

So you will not explain what "change" you've seen in Stannis's behavior now that he is away from Mel.

6 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

AND if  Stannis does agree to kill his heir Davos will leave Stannis' service

I would ask why given the amount unholy, things Davos has seen Stannis do and attempt to do(burn the 7, think of burning his nephew), without ever seriously contemplating leaving his master-but I could expect no serious answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So you will not explain what "change" you've seen in Stannis's behavior now that he is away from Mel.

You are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright can any one else actually explain how Stannis is acting differently from when he was with Melisandre? Because what I've seen, he really hasn't. Like what is he doing now that is so different from what we've see of him so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Alright can any one else actually explain how Stannis is acting differently from when he was with Melisandre? Because what I've seen, he really hasn't. Like what is he doing now that is so different from what we've see of him so far?

You have to go back and read the Asha chapters in ADWD because that starts this journey with Stannis being away from Melisandre, and away from her enscorceling she does to people and the Asha/Wayward Bride chapter shows the readers the power and majics of the north and trees. From there we see Stannis care less and less about Melisandre... but the Queen's Men (Melisandre's in truth) are the ones who do all of the worshipping, praying, and asking for Mel and the ones asking to burn people.

Stannis does not. Stannis does not pray or chant or sing or talk about Melisandre. Stannis did not set up the pyres. His faith is dwindling and based on the TWOW chapter, his eyes are now opening.

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice

"Where is the king?" asked Ser Corliss Penny.
Four days ago, one of the king's own squires had succumbed to cold and hunger, a boy named Bryen Farring who'd been kin to Ser Godry. Stannis Baratheon stood grim-faced by the funeral pyre as the lad's body was consigned to the flames. Afterward the king had retreated to his watchtower. He had not emerged since … though from time to time His Grace was glimpsed upon the tower roof, outlined against the beacon fire that burned there night and day. Talking to the red god, some said. Calling out for Lady Melisandre, insisted others. Either way, it seemed to Asha Greyjoy, the king was lost and crying out for help.
"Canty, go find the king and tell him all is ready," Ser Godry said to the nearest man-at-arms.

And even Justin Massey, one of the only ones to be nice to Asha as well as being Staniss' advisor and the one Stannis entrusts Shireen to, has lost faith in Melisandre.

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice

"My champion," Asha said to Justin Massey. He deserved that much, whatever his motives. "Thank you for the rescue, ser."
"It will not win you friends amongst the queen's men," said the She-Bear. "Have you lost your faith in red R'hllor?"
"I have lost faith in more than that," Massey said, his breath a pale mist in the air, "but I still believe in supper. Will you join me, my ladies?"

The only ones keeping faith to fires in the way of burning people are the religious zealot R'hllorist Melisandre men.

A Dance with Dragons - The King's Prize

On the fifth day of the storm, the baggage train crossed a rippling expanse of waist-high snowdrifts that concealed a frozen pond. When the hidden ice cracked beneath the weight of the wagons, three teamsters and four horses were swallowed up by the freezing water, along with two of the men who tried to rescue them. One was Harwood Fell. His knights pulled him out before he drowned, but not before his lips turned blue and his skin as pale as milk. Nothing they did could seem to warm him afterward. He shivered violently for hours, even when they cut him out of his sodden clothes, wrapped him in warm furs, and sat him by the fire. That same night he slipped into a feverish sleep. He never woke.
That was the night that Asha first heard the queen's men muttering about a sacrifice—an offering to their red god, so he might end the storm. "The gods of the north have unleashed this storm on us," Ser Corliss Penny said.
"False gods," insisted Ser Godry, the Giantslayer.

A Dance with Dragons - The King's Prize

Even when the shout came down the line to make camp for the night, it was no easy thing to warm yourself. The tents were damp and heavy, hard to raise, harder to take down, and prone to sudden collapse if too much snow accumulated on top of them. The king's host was creeping through the heart of the largest forest in the Seven Kingdoms, yet dry wood became difficult to find. Every camp saw fewer fires burning, and those that were lit threw off more smoke than heat. Oft as not food was eaten cold, even raw.
Even the nightfire shrank and grew feeble, to the dismay of the queen's men. "Lord of Light, preserve us from this evil," they prayed, led by the deep voice of Ser Godry the Giantslayer. "Show us your bright sun again, still these winds, and melt these snows, that we may reach your foes and smite them. The night is dark and cold and full of terrors, but yours is the power and glory and the light. R'hllor, fill us with your fire."
Later, when Ser Corliss Penny wondered aloud whether an entire army had ever frozen to death in a winter storm, the wolves laughed. "This is no winter," declared Big Bucket Wull. "Up in the hills we say that autumn kisses you, but winter fucks you hard. This is only autumn's kiss."
 

A Dance with Dragons - The King's Prize

The horses and the common men had it hardest. Two squires from the stormlands stabbed a man-at-arms to death in a quarrel over who would sit closest to the fire. The next night some archers desperate for warmth somehow managed to set their tent afire, which had at least the virtue of heating the adjacent tents. Destriers began to perish of exhaustion and exposure. "What is a knight without a horse?" men riddled. "A snowman with a sword." Any horse that went down was butchered on the spot for meat. Their provisions had begun to run low as well.
Peasebury, Cobb, Foxglove, and other southron lords urged the king to make camp until the storm had passed. Stannis would have none of that. Nor would he heed the queen's men when they came to urge him to make an offering to their hungry red god.
That tale she had from Justin Massey, who was less devout than most. "A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire," Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."
 

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice

The She-Bear tried again. "I do not need to watch this."
It is not you the queen's men want to burn. "Then go. You have my word, I will not run. Where would I go? To Winterfell?" Asha laughed. "Only three days' ride, they tell me."
 

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice

It is not you the queen's men want to burn. "Then go. You have my word, I will not run. Where would I go? To Winterfell?" Asha laughed. "Only three days' ride, they tell me."
Six queen's men were wrestling two enormous pinewood poles into holes six other queen's men had dug out. Asha did not have to ask their purpose. She knew. Stakes. Nightfall would be on them soon, and the red god must be fed. An offering of blood and fire, the queen's men called it, that the Lord of Light may turn his fiery eye upon us and melt these thrice-cursed snows.
"Even in this place of fear and darkness, the Lord of Light protects us," Ser Godry Farring told the men who gathered to watch as the stakes were hammered down into the holes.
 
And Stannis going back to a beacon fire atop a tower means something. There are different kinds of fire in this world, just as their are different kinds of cold. Stannis going to a beacon fire is a signal of seeking knowledge, or, finding knowledge.

A Dance with Dragons - The Sacrifice

Wordless, King Stannis walked away, back to the solitude of his watchtower. Back to his beacon fire, Asha knew, to search the flames for answers. Arnolf Karstark made to hobble after him, but Ser Richard Horpe took him by the arm and turned him toward the longhall. The watchers began to drift away, each to his own fire and whatever meagre supper he might find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah, Stannis still suspected Arryn was offed by the lanisters and didn't tell Robert.

Okay internet buddy, let us play. I was transparent enough to provide information from the five books.  Can you or will you supply something to support your above statement.

 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ned and Stannis both failed their duty to their king. 

How did you come to this conclusion? It appears to me it that statement is loaded with shoulda, coulda and woulda bs.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

However where as Ned, didnt tell his friend on his death bed the truth to spare his friend some heartache in the last moments of his life, Stannis didnt tell his brother out of pure self-interest even if not doing so keeps the king's life in jepordy.

 

Go search the books and come back to me with something other than self centered projection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Stannis does not. Stannis does not pray or chant or sing or talk about Melisandre. Stannis did not set up the pyres. His faith is dwindling and based on the TWOW chapter, his eyes are now opening.

 

Faith seems to be the wrong word to subscribe to Stannis; one of the  key lesson from his injured bird story was that "faith is dumb and it's better to work with what actually works; his injured was an embarrassment; and no matter how much Stannis hoped, and had faith in it someday doing him proud it didn't and it was was always clear it wouldn't ..Melisandre and Rh'lor have shown quantifiable results;extremely valuable tools to be sure but tools to which it is clear he'd discard if they stop producing results; the quotes you've provided of the queensguard expressing some doubt in the red god don't really indicate there's been a real shift in Stannis. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Faith seems to be the wrong word to subscribe to Stannis; the key lesson from his injured bird story was that "faith is dumb.Melisandre and Rh'lor have shown quantifiable results;extremely valuable tools to be sure but tools to which it is clear he'd discard if they stop producing results; the quotes you've provided of the queensguard expressing some doubt in the red god don't really indicate there's been a real shift in Stannis. 

Faith itself is not solely a religious term. It simply means you have strong confidence or belief in something (doesn't have to be Jeebus). Stannis was led to believe that Melisandre could deliver him what is rightfully his. Melisandre has been shown time and again to interpret her flame reading incorrectly. Stannis rewards Davos by making Davos his hand, and this is after Davos releases Edric. Stannis realizes earlier before he left the wall to go on his campaign that he had it wrong.

Here is a book quote to show what happens. It is Davos that gets Stannis to where he needs to be to "save the kingdom", not Melisandre. When you have character development, things tend to changeover the course of the story:

A Storm of Swords - Jon XI

"I am no lord, sire. You came because we sent for you, I hope. Though I could not say why you took so long about it."
Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. "You're bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight."
 
Now, maybe start adding some book quotes to your discussion because so far I have not seen anything of the sort besides your own opinion.
Edited by The Fattest Leech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Okay internet buddy, let us play. I was transparent enough to provide information from the five books.  Can you or will you supply something to support your above statement.

 

How did you come to this conclusion? It appears to me it that statement is loaded with shoulda, coulda and woulda bs.

Go search the books and come back to me with something other than self centered projection.

I'm sorry but do you honestly expect someone to engage further in a conversation with you after you proclaim whatever questions he or she asks (besides the two you've deemed worthy), will not illicit a serious response from you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 4:20 AM, Dorian Martell's son said:

He would never sacrifice his only heir to win the throne. If it does happen it will be mel and mel alone 

Stannis is probably the only character righteous enough to make such a sacrifice.

Stannis ground his teeth again. "I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty . . . If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark . . . Sacrifice . . . is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice. Tell him, my lady."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Stannis was led to believe that Melisandre could deliver him what is rightfully his. Melisandre has been shown time and again to interpret her flame reading incorrectly.

To which Stannis has challenged her on multiple occasions: upon the news of the red wedding and seeing it attributed to Rh'lor, "Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied?" asked Stannis This sounds more Walder Frey's handiwork than any god's" on pg 723.  And on the same page "There are lies and there are lies woman. Even when they speak truly they are full of tricks to me. 

just prior to being informed to the news of Joffery's poisoning:

"The flames are full of tricks. What will be,what may be. You cannot tell me for a Certainty" on pg 864

 

What exactly has he done or not don't in the absence of Melisandre to show he's returning to the "old Stannis"? It's clear he's never been so engrossed with Melisandre or the red God to the point where he'd overlook any mistakes(in his eyes), on their part and always ready to question them when they fail to predict accurately or even when they do; you say hes been losing faith, since their separtation, how has he(not his more fanatical Rhl'orist followers), shown to have done that. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Stannis rewards Davos by making Davos his hand, and this is after Davos releases Edric.

No it isn't. Stannis dubs Davos his hand on pg. 498-499. He doesn't free Edric Storm until much later in the book. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Here is a book quote to show what happens. It is Davos that gets Stannis to where he needs to be to "save the kingdom", not Melisandre. When you have character development, things tend to changeover the course of the story:

Alright? Yes Stannis has charachter development; yes Davos helps motivate him to go to the north; and? I'm sorry and are you taking Stannis taking Davos' advice as proof of him recognizing releasing Edric Storm as right?

 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Now, maybe start adding some book quotes to your discussion because so far I have not seen anything of the sort besides your own opinion.

Well I didn't have my books with me at the time. Well the ones to which I could pull directly from to prove a point. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Faith itself is not solely a religious term. It simply means you have strong confidence or belief in something (doesn't have to be Jeebus).

I wasn't thinking of religious faith from your post as much as faith as in belief in anything without reason. I misread your usage of the word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Stannis would be a righteous guy if he had stood by the side of his royal brother when the man died. But he abandoned him a year before that. And keeping quiet about Cersei's infidelity also preventing King Robert from taking another wife, fathering some legitimate children before his early death.

It is awfully convenient that Robert left no trueborn children of his own body from the point of view of Stannis if one thinks about it. Telling Robert would have rid the court of Cersei, Jaime, and the bastards, but Stannis would only have been the heir presumptive until Robert had taken a new wife and produced some trueborn heirs.

I mean it's clear to anyone Robert has no fondness for his children or his wife(I'd go as far as say as loaths)-dare I say he'd be relieved to know Joffery(the sociopath), is not of his loins, it would vindicate hom(it's not that he's a terrible father or something's wrong with him for why Joffery's messed up, yes, it was all those evil lions fault), he'd finally have an excuse to go to war and finally get a younger and prettier wife, one who could appreariate him for the awesome man that he is. The chance of Robert at least seriously contemplating what Stannis would bring forth is decent is what I'm saying; and if not? Stannis should still be ready to put his own life at risk for his monarch.

I have to say now that you mentioned the lack evidence it suddenly occurred to me; Stannis truly has no basis for even himself wholeheartily believing the children of Cersi and Jaimie are aren't Robert's trueborn children. All he really has suspicions to which he knows he could never confirm. For all he he knows, he really is usurping his nephews throne; there literaly is no way for him to tell. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

To which Stannis has challenged her on multiple occasions: upon the news of the red wedding and seeing it attributed to Rh'lor, "Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied?" asked Stannis This sounds more Walder Frey's handiwork than any god's" on pg 723.  And on the same page "There are lies and there are lies woman. Even when they speak truly they are full of tricks to me. 

just prior to being informed to the news of Joffery's poisoning:

"The flames are full of tricks. What will be,what may be. You cannot tell me for a Certainty" on pg 864

 

What exactly has he done or not don't in the absence of Melisandre to show he's returning to the "old Stannis"? It's clear he's never been so engrossed with Melisandre or the red God to the point where he'd overlook any mistakes(in his eyes), on their part and always ready to question them when they fail to predict accurately or even when they do; you say hes been losing faith, since their separtation, how has he(not his more fanatical Rhl'orist followers), shown to have done that. 

No it isn't. Stannis dubs Davos his hand on pg. 498-499. He doesn't free Edric Storm until much later in the book. 

Alright? Yes Stannis has charachter development; yes Davos helps motivate him to go to the north; and? I'm sorry and are you taking Stannis taking Davos' advice as proof of him recognizing releasing Edric Storm as right?

 

Well I didn't have my books with me at the time. Well the ones to which I could pull directly from to prove a point. 

https://asearchoficeandfire.com/

Use it wisely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I mean it's clear to anyone Robert has no fondness for his children or his wife(I'd go as far as say as loaths)-dare I say he'd be relieved to know Joffery(the sociopath), is not of his loins, it would vindicate hom(it's not that he's a terrible father or something's wrong with him for why Joffery's messed up, yes, it was all those evil lions fault), he'd finally have an excuse to go to war and finally get a younger and prettier wife, one who could appreariate him for the awesome man that he is. The chance of Robert at least seriously contemplating what Stannis would bring forth is decent is what I'm saying; and if not? Stannis should still be ready to put his own life at risk for his monarch.

Exactly. And Stannis also had the perfect opportunity to approach his brother after Joffrey's nameday. After all, we do know that Cersei and the children accompanied Tywin back to Casterly Rock (at least for some portion of the way). Which means Cersei couldn't have immediately reacted to the accusations Stannis brought forth.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have to say now that you mentioned the lack evidence it suddenly occurred to me; Stannis truly has no basis for even himself wholeheartily believing the children of Cersi and Jaimie are aren't Robert's trueborn children. All he really has suspicions to which he knows he could never confirm. For all he he knows, he really is usurping his nephews throne; there literaly is no way for him to tell. 

Sure, there is no indication that Stannis had the same kind of conversation with Cersei Ned had in the godswood. He just believes his brother's children aren't his brother's children. But without proof this is worth nothing. Robert has acknowledged them as his children and this makes them his children. Period. There is no question about that.

The correct way to deal with that would have been to inform Robert about what Stannis thought was going on. And then have him rule on the matter. But he never did that.

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

You have to go back and read the Asha chapters in ADWD because that starts this journey with Stannis being away from Melisandre, and away from her enscorceling she does to people and the Asha/Wayward Bride chapter shows the readers the power and majics of the north and trees. From there we see Stannis care less and less about Melisandre... but the Queen's Men (Melisandre's in truth) are the ones who do all of the worshipping, praying, and asking for Mel and the ones asking to burn people.

That seems to me a misinterpretation of things. Stannis never believed in R'hllor back in ACoK or ASoS, just as he never believed in the Seven or the old gods (at least since he had to watch his parents die). He makes that abundantly clear in ACoK when he gives his red falcon speech. He knows Melisandre has real power and he intends to use her and her power to get what he wants.

What he wants is the Iron Throne. He has no interest to save the world or anything, but if Melisandre can help him get what he wants he'll also give her what she wants - and that means he'll force Westeros to bow down to R'hllor the Red rather than to the other non-existing gods Stannis doesn't care about. He never hangs out at the night fires or chants and sings about R'hllor.

But when Stannis himself sees a vision in the flames - a vision about the Battle at the Fist of the First Men - he starts to believe that Melisandre might be right that he is a savior.

It is Davos who, in the end, tells him about the situation at the Wall (but not because Mel withholds that information from Stannis but because Pylos didn't trouble Melisandre or Stannis with the letters from Castle Black) but Stannis is only receptive to Davos' arguments because he has started to believe/seriously consider the things Melisandre believes about him.

After all, it is Melisandre who makes it clear to Davos and the reader that she didn't come to Westeros to seat some dude on the Iron Throne. She has a broader agenda, wants to save humanity from darkness, etc. She might not really understand the nature of the danger but she does know that there is a danger everybody is facing, even if she can only understand and phrase that danger in silly religious terms (like 'the Great Other' is trying to corrupt/destroy us all, etc.).

Now, in ADwD Stannis doesn't hang out with Melisandre all that much, but he doesn't change his overall stance. He was never a fan of human sacrifices but he chooses to go through with them to punish some cannibals. That he doesn't push the Northmen yet to accept R'hllor as their new and only god doesn't mean he won't do that after the Boltons are dealt with and he is reunited with Melisandre.

I mean, it is morons who push Stannis for sacrifices in the snow. There is no real reason for that and no reason to believe Melisandre herself would push him for stuff like that at this point. And then - when Mel demands a sacrifice she usually can deliver. When she burned Alester Florent they got the wind they needed to get to the Wall in time. For all we know she could end a snow storm in the middle of winter with some blood sacrifice. Magic is a real thing in this word. Gods not necessarily. 

We'll have to wait and see about that one, don't we?

If Bran happened to reach out to Stannis at the island in the lake - or if animals, etc. did come to Stannis' help in the coming battle - then this might cause Stannis to reconsider his stance on the old gods, etc. considering that he also knows now that the true enemy are the Others from the old legends. Creatures that were fought and (presumably) defeated by the First Men of old. He isn't the kind of guy stupid enough to not see that they might be able to learn something from those people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×