is the WoT series worth reading

eac

4 hours ago, Loge said:

There was a very popular theory stating that Mazrim Taim is Demandred. Debates were about as intense as the R+L=J threads these days. Except, Taimandredists would still claim their theory is correct even after RJ thimself debunked it. 

As for Demandred staying in Shara, that actually makes a lot of sense. Chekhov's gun. Why mention it at all if it isn't going to be important at some point? Sanderson's ending is another thing. Can't blame Jordan for that.

Ah, Demandred = Mazrim, yep, while I read books after they were finished, I was quite convinced that is real. Especially after it was revealed that Mazrim was dark.

I honestly remember only once Shara mentioned (for that adventurer that has been there), and was a total shock to see them being arguably the strongest country in Randland, and their invasion. A bit unexpected. I liked Sanderson's ending (bar Rand/Ishamael thing in the very end).

Btw, anyone has read Sanderson's short story of Demandred? I found it cool.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

:stunned: 

And the Asmodean reveal too?????  Like most I assume, I stopped visiting places like wotmania/theoryland after the series was completed.  I had never read that.  

Me either.  Can anyone comment on how credible that is?

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Me either.  Can anyone comment on how credible that is?

100% true. Brandon Sanderson confirmed it on Reddit just after that came out. @Terezalso had access to RJ's notes, which I know as I sat in a hotel lobby in Chicago and went through them with her :P She didn't have access to those ones at that time, though, so I didn't see them.

Spoiler

So you could say that Taimandred was true, as of LoC, but is unquestionably false now, since it was refuted by the later books, which are obviously canon. 

That's funny, I'm sure if I were more invested in that theory, this would be really big news when it came out. 

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

100% true. Brandon Sanderson confirmed it on Reddit just after that came out. @Terezalso had access to RJ's notes, which I know as I sat in a hotel lobby in Chicago and went through them with her :P She didn't have access to those ones at that time, though, so I didn't see them.

I recall that his collection was being given to College of Charleston or some such, wasn’t it?

Any chance they might digitize it and make it available as an online reference?

48 minutes ago, Maithanet said:
  Hide contents

So you could say that Taimandred was true, as of LoC, but is unquestionably false now, since it was refuted by the later books, which are obviously canon. 

That's funny, I'm sure if I were more invested in that theory, this would be really big news when it came out. 

This is a dangerous precedent!  What could this mean for R+L=J?!!?

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is a dangerous precedent!  What could this mean for R+L=J?!!?

We'll have to wait until Sanderson writes The Winds of Winter to find out.

40 minutes ago, Yukle said:

We'll have to wait until Sanderson writes The Winds of Winter to find out.

Don’t tease.  Getting a written conclusion to the series is a dream I have abandoned

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I recall that his collection was being given to College of Charleston or some such, wasn’t it?

Any chance they might digitize it and make it available as an online reference?

Pfft, I doubt Harriet and Co would allow that. They need to sell more copies of their shitty compendium.

If GRRM decides that he cannot finish his series, and leaves to someone else, no way in hell it is going to be Sanderson. Someone like Abercrombie or Abrahams would be much more suited to the task.

Or he can just troll us and leave it to Pat Rothfuss.

Interesting. If this is true then Jordan was quite disingenuous with the fans. Question is when and why he changed the story. The Asmodean murder would fit though. In LoC it is hinted at that Demandred has been active in Arad Doman. Later that's revealed to be Graendal's turf. In LoC she keeps the rulers of Shara as pets. So it seems like Jordan swapped the roles of Demandred and Graendal. And if Graendal is now the forsaken who is pulling the strings in Arad Doman, where Asmodean seems to have spent some time, then she must also be the killer now. Of course that sheds a new light on Jordan's remarks on how obvious the Asmodean case was... 

1 hour ago, Loge said:

Interesting. If this is true then Jordan was quite disingenuous with the fans. Question is when and why he changed the story. The Asmodean murder would fit though. In LoC it is hinted at that Demandred has been active in Arad Doman. Later that's revealed to be Graendal's turf. In LoC she keeps the rulers of Shara as pets. So it seems like Jordan swapped the roles of Demandred and Graendal. And if Graendal is now the forsaken who is pulling the strings in Arad Doman, where Asmodean seems to have spent some time, then she must also be the killer now. Of course that sheds a new light on Jordan's remarks on how obvious the Asmodean case was... 

I don't remember this happening. She kept the rulers of some other (and much smaller) country as pets, not Shara IIRC.

Isn't Demandred the only Forsaken who is on Shara, and he actually did a revolution there?!

Archived