Yoren's death.

Kandrax

On 6/9/2018 at 2:04 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Stannis had someone a million times better than Gendry and that'd Edric Storm. Edric and Mya are Robert's two acknowledged bastards. Gendry doesn't mean squat to Stannis. 

All in all, though, if Ned's life had been spared and he was allowed to take the black as it had been agreed upon, he and Gendry would have been traveling to the Wall together. So it's possible that Varys had entirely different plans for Gendry. I'm not even sure Ned was supposed to make it to the Wall.

That might have been why Ned swore by the Seven and not the Old Gods...

On 6/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Stannis had someone a million times better than Gendry and that'd Edric Storm. Edric and Mya are Robert's two acknowledged bastards. Gendry doesn't mean squat to Stannis. 

All in all, though, if Ned's life had been spared and he was allowed to take the black as it had been agreed upon, he and Gendry would have been traveling to the Wall together. So it's possible that Varys had entirely different plans for Gendry. I'm not even sure Ned was supposed to make it to the Wall.

The only way Ned's not going to make it to the Wall is if he dies en route.  If he makes a solemn promise, takes an oath to do so, he isn't going to renege on it.  Ned simply isn't that sort of person.

I don't know why Varys (if it was Varys) would take Gendry to Yoren, but I think it was also Varys who provided the funds for his apprenticeship.  So it may be that he promised someone he would take are of Gendry and is simply keeping it.  And, really, it costs him little to keep Gendry safe, in this case.  Plus it puts a spoke in Cersei's wheels, an added bonus.

11 minutes ago, Nevets said:

The only way Ned's not going to make it to the Wall is if he dies en route.  If he makes a solemn promise, takes an oath to do so, he isn't going to renege on it.  Ned simply isn't that sort of person.

This has nothing to do with Ned or his oaths, though. There's a difference between what he wants and intends on doing and what the power grabbing people around him want. Cersei was happy sending him to the Wall, Littlefinger wasn't.

2 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

This has nothing to do with Ned or his oaths, though. There's a difference between what he wants and intends on doing and what the power grabbing people around him want. Cersei was happy sending him to the Wall, Littlefinger wasn't.

Littlefinger wanted Ned dead, and Joffrey obliged.  My point was that Ned isn't going to slip away and start fighting against the Lannisters or anything like that.  He's going to go to the Wall or die trying.   He's that kind of guy.  For better or worse.

19 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Littlefinger wanted Ned dead, and Joffrey obliged.  My point was that Ned isn't going to slip away and start fighting against the Lannisters or anything like that.  He's going to go to the Wall or die trying.   He's that kind of guy.  For better or worse.

I never said he was going to go off and fight the Lannisters. That was never my point. 

In any case, he's been dead for 22 years so.

Archived