GRRM WoW Twist

I believe it was this quote.

In the case of any of my novels, I know where I’m starting from, I know where I want to end up, more or less. I know some of the big turning points along the way, the stuff I’m building for, but you discover an awful lot along the way. Characters rise up and seem more important, and you get to what you’d thought was going to be a big turning point and… the thing you’d thought about two years ago doesn’t really work as well, so you have a better idea! There’s always that process of discovery for me. I know not all writers work that way, but it’s always been the way I work.

He was talking about his way of writing in general. Since this time, it's possible he changed a lot of things. But maybe not the twist.

I still believe it's Barristan going to fAegon, the "true king". Dismayed by Daenerys' dothrakis, red priests and sellswords companies.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No, not at all.

Please feel free to elaborate....it makes the whole Oldtown portion (Aeron/Euron/Sam/Alleras) of the plot THAT much more important!

I just heard it this week, it appeared in a Reddit feed. Essentially, the Hightower is acting as a battery to keep the magic warding at the Wall working and it was built far away from the Wall for that reason.  I don’t know much else but it also involved the Faceless Men being acolytes to the God of Death, which is actually the Great Other. The Faceless Man/Pate is trying to bring down the Wall or shut down the battery. 

Now I don’t know how much of this I believe. it does make Oldtown plot seem more relevant but it seems morE plausible that the FM are after a Valyrian artifact (some of said a book about dragons, I think a glass candle) 

if anyone knows more please elaborate as my details are admittedly scant

Here is the link:

Since this theory is not my own, I don't want to badly summarize. Better for you all to read yourselves.

9 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I just heard it this week, it appeared in a Reddit feed. Essentially, the Hightower is acting as a battery to keep the magic warding at the Wall working and it was built far away from the Wall for that reason.  I don’t know much else but it also involved the Faceless Men being acolytes to the God of Death, which is actually the Great Other. The Faceless Man/Pate is trying to bring down the Wall or shut down the battery. 

Now I don’t know how much of this I believe. it does make Oldtown plot seem more relevant but it seems morE plausible that the FM are after a Valyrian artifact (some of said a book about dragons, I think a glass candle) 

if anyone knows more please elaborate as my details are admittedly scant

Here is the link:

Since this theory is not my own, I don't want to badly summarize. Better for you all to read yourselves.

Thanks I am going to look into this when I get home and settled. 

It makes sense from a cursory glance. The Hightower family are as old as the Starks and the Daynes and the rock upon which it was built is made up of a very strange material.

This is just making me all the more hyped up to see the Oldtown chapters in Winds. The battle in the Redwyne Straits will likely occur in the Aeron POV but Sam will take care of everything else...

• 8 months later...

I resurrect this thread to present my fan wish theory that the character "dead on the show, alive in the books" is Jon. I believe GRRM was not fully decided on whether he will kill and resurrect Jon as it happened in the show or just make him wounded and healed, similar to what happened with Bran in AGoT. Everything he said in the interviews fits, including the timing, for this idea to work.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, Mithras said:

I resurrect this thread to present my fan wish theory that the character "dead on the show, alive in the books" is Jon. I believe GRRM was not fully decided on whether he will kill and resurrect Jon as it happened in the show or just make him wounded and healed, similar to what happened with Bran in AGoT. Everything he said in the interviews fits, including the timing, for this idea to work.

We can rule this out. The reason is that GRRM said that he had 'never thought of this before'.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Myrcella

What do you think is going to happen? I'm just curious

17 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Rhaego

Could very well be true, there's so much mystery surrounding that tent that I'd be surprised if GRRM didn't plan to do anything with it

22 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Rhaego

This has gotta be a pipe dream, right? Why wait four books to bring it back up for it to be the "twist". My best guess is that is has to do with Selmy. He knows so much and has so much potential with his ties to Daeny and possibly to (f)Aegon if he falls for his chance to redeem his past failures to protect his King's family.  

On 9/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, Jekse said:

What do you think is going to happen? I'm just curious

Yo!!! Okay, there's just so much can happen with Myrcella, it's not even funny.

On more than one occasion, Myrcella has been compared with Tywin and Tyrion in terms of intelligence, shrewdness and resourcefulness. She could be playing her own game or she could very well be an agent of Doran Martell. She could also be the "younger more beautiful queen" from the prophecy who strips Cersei down and kicks her to the curb. Myrcella could know the truth of her parentage and admit it. Myrcella could become a pawn of Littlefinger or Varys.

So many ways you can go with Myrcella. Killing her in Dorne was very easy to do (in fact, most would have killed her so as to make the Martell family sit on a ticking time bomb) and the death of Myrcella - regardless of whether it was deliberate, unintentional or collateral damage - in Dorne still makes a good story. But Martin notably didn't do it. Why?

He's planning something. Methinks it's something especially big because he has repeatedly emphasized the importance of the Dornish and Stormlander theaters, Myrcella's importance to Stannis, the fact that the Lannister control of the Iron Throne has been broken and the importance of Myrcella has to Cersei and Jaime both.

I think the big twist has something to do with something in King's Landing. Either Myrcella herself or Myrcella as a centerpiece both work because no one sees it coming. Seriously. Think about it.

Who thinks or talks about Myrcella?

I also think there was a good chance that the twist has something to do with Bloodraven. But since more people can get on board with that theory, which almost mean that it can't be a twist.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

This has gotta be a pipe dream, right? Why wait four books to bring it back up for it to be the "twist". My best guess is that is has to do with Selmy. He knows so much and has so much potential with his ties to Daeny and possibly to (f)Aegon if he falls for his chance to redeem his past failures to protect his King's family.  

The amount of books doesn't matter.

You say why wait four books for Rhaego but ignore the fact that Selmy being twist also means that we have had to wait for four books.

I'm not discounting The Bold. But how would he fulfill the role of the twist? I don't see it.

With the way that GRRM has written POV chapters, it is impossible for a POV character to be an architect of a plot that completely takes the story in a wildly and drastically different direction.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, Jekse said:

Could very well be true, there's so much mystery surrounding that tent that I'd be surprised if GRRM didn't plan to do anything with it

I'm glad you see it too.

I didn't say that the twist is Rhaego. I'm saying that the twist revolves around Rhaego.

For example, there is a lot we don't know about that tent. Like a lot happened offpage/offscreen in between Daenerys VIII and Daenerys IX in A Game of Thrones. And does anyone remember who Mirri Maaz Duur's teacher was? A maester from Westeros named Marwyn. Guess who is coming to Daenerys: Marwyn himself. And that funniest thing about it is that Duur told Dany about Marwyn. Guess who else has something in common with Duur and Marwyn? Quaithe...and Melisandre. There's a lot going on with Asshai. And then there is a matter of the Dothraki and their council of crones and widows. The Dothrakis are no strangers to sorcery  either and I feel like a powerful position within Dosh Khaleen is probably the most important leadership position in the entire series after the Iron Throne of Westeros.

Idk.

The Dothraki are a little bit more sophisticated than we think.

Maybe the  great plot twist is about Cersei & Jaime turning out to be half-Targaryens.

I know - we readers have speculated on this in the forums quite a lot and the idea is not new to us. But GRRM says he doesn't read the forums. So maybe he actually had never thought of this before. Until the idea finally came to him too.

He said there were 3, 4 characters involved. Well, Aerys, Joanna and Tywin would be a love triangle and make 3. Rhaella would be more indirectly involved so would make the 'maybe 4'.

He also said he could see how it could have happened.

Well - that would fit too. We also can see how it could have happened. And we know it does not have to have happened. The evidence is circumstantial and quite likely there is nothing to it. But that's exactly how GRRM's statement reads. 'Could' being the operative word. He wasn't even decided whether to run with it or not.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, BlackLightning said:

The amount of books doesn't matter.

You say why wait four books for Rhaego but ignore the fact that Selmy being twist also means that we have had to wait for four books.

I'm not discounting The Bold. But how would he fulfill the role of the twist? I don't see it.

With the way that GRRM has written POV chapters, it is impossible for a POV character to be an architect of a plot that completely takes the story in a wildly and drastically different direction.

Yeah, but his arc has been accounted for and noted in EVERY BOOK: Selmy appears in AGoT, ACoK, ASoS, is mentioned in AFFC, and has POVs in ADWD and WoW. Meanwhile Rhaego is only lightly mentioned in four novels and usually as a confirmation of Daeny's progress because he is d-e-a-d dead and not coming back because that would ruin Daeny's progression as a character. So no, I did not ignore him (Selmy) for four books but perhaps you did? Also, Selmy is a POV with a defined character arc that has a fairly clear trajectory for the immediate future, and comparatively, Rhaego never saw the light of day and is barely mentioned after his death. Rhaego served his purpose, there is no need to bring him back in any form but in memory.   

I'm curious how you can not see how it is possible for Selmy to be the twist. George mentioned the show couldn't do it because the character was killed off, and while that is quite a vague hint and in no way the end-all word for it to be him, Selmy would indeed fit the description. Plus, did I not mention his potential allegiance/loyalty being stretched and tested when he figures out that there is another Targ out there whom he knew and was sworn to protect? 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:51 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

Ahh, yes, I did. Just making sure. Start there with your thoughts on him being the twist. There have been many posts and threads on this forum that discusses his potential loyalty issues between Daeny and fAegon should they arise. If he survives the Battle of Fire, it would be a disservice to his character if Selmy doesn't have some sort of internal strife regarding which Targ he should serve once he hears that him and Jon Con and Co. are invading the stormlands.  

Archived