GRRM WoW Twist

28 minutes ago, Dalinar said:

Maybe Barristan decides to betray Daenerys in favour of Young Griff, because he believes that he is Aegon VI. 

Precisely my thought. If Barristan survives the battle of fire, which I think he will, I believe that his loyalties being tested (and his inner turmoil over the right thing to do vs perhaps what is the most "honorable" thing to do) is most likely his final character arc. If fAegon turns out to actually be a Targ he would have the better claim over Daeny, soooo what's an honorable old man supposed to do?  

On 9/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

This has gotta be a pipe dream, right? Why wait four books to bring it back up for it to be the "twist". My best guess is that is has to do with Selmy. He knows so much and has so much potential with his ties to Daeny and possibly to (f)Aegon if he falls for his chance to redeem his past failures to protect his King's family.  

Yeah, Rhaego isn't even a proper character in the books. And is very dead in both books and show. I agree, there's a very good chance it's Selmy. Another good candidate is Stannis. 

57 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, Rhaego isn't even a proper character in the books. And is very dead in both books and show. I agree, there's a very good chance it's Selmy. Another good candidate is Stannis. 

My head says Barristan, but my heart wants Stannis, haha. I'd love for Stannis to stick around into Dream with his influence ever diminishing to the point where both him and Davos are of a similar rank serving whomever leads the north after the BoI. Those Stannis POVs would be gold. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JonSnow776 said:

In my opinion (I wrote my own topic about it) I believe the likeliest candidates will be Syrio, Rickon, The Hound or (this is gonna sound crazy) Mycah 

The Hound is not dead n the show, so I don’t see how it could be him. Micah died in both, and is such a minor character that I don’t really see the point. Rickon doesn’t sound right either, since Martin has had big plans for him for a long time. And Syrio, IMO, is very dead in the books. 

ETA: The Hound did die, very stupidly I might add, but only s8, long after the twist idea.

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The Hound is not dead n the show, so I don’t see how it could be him. Micah died in both, and is such a minor character that I don’t really see the point. Rickon doesn’t sound right either, since Martin has had big plans for him for a long time. And Syrio, IMO, is very dead in the books. 

I could be mistaken, but was Rickon still alive on the show when GRRM made that comment? Sorry it's been a while.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

I could be mistaken, but was Rickson still alive on the show when GRRM made that comment? Sorry it's been a while.

You know, I'm not e entirely sure. I think so. I think Martin fist talked about the twist (as a possibility) same year series 5 aired, and then some months later he confirmed that he was going to do it. But that's all off the top of my head,  and I could be wrong. 

ETA: @sifth, here's what I found, from Feb 2016:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/grrm-thought-of-a-new-twist-that-got-cant-use.html

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You know, I'm not e entirely sure. I think so. I think Martin fist talked about the twist (as a possibility) same year series 5 aired, and then some months later he confirmed that he was going to do it. But that's all off the top of my head,  and I could be wrong. 

ETA: @sifth, here's what I found, from Feb 2016:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/grrm-thought-of-a-new-twist-that-got-cant-use.html

If it's 2016, then it's the year Rickon was killed off on the show. Though GRRM made this comment back in February of the year that happened. Dam, this one might be too close to call.

Just now, sifth said:

If it's 2016, then it's the year Rickon was killed off on the show. Though GRRM made this comment back in February of the year that happened. Dam, this one might be too close to call.

I think that Martin already knew Rickon would die - again, stupidly - when he talked about the twist. That said, I don't think he would have spoiled show info, so imo it's a character that was already dead when he talked about it. So, s5 or earlier. 

• 1 month later...

I am bored and want to do something so I am reviving this interesting thread.

I haven't really throroughly researched and thought this through so feel free to pile on.

After this disclaimer: One character who I find particularly well suited for a plot twist is Mance. He fulfills the 'dead on the show' requirement beautifully and he is always good for a revelation or surprise. That's because double identities and scheming have been his modus operandi and because he is well placed in Winterfell and the crypts to uncover whatever there is to uncover. The Northern Lords also are conveniently located right there so that Mance could uncover anything that they may have planned.

I dimly remember a 'Mance is Rhaegar' thread I read ages ago. I find that very implausible but the base assumption: that Mance may have another identity (just not as Rhaegar), is an idea that one could think about for instance.

I'll wander off and be bored someplace else now.

I'm personally in boat for Stannis or Selmy

There were lot of controversy surrounding that season, from dead Stannis to Theon and Sansa fate, but wasn't actor who got Selmy role booted due to plot leaks? Which may be the reason why show producers kill him off, while Martin had plans for him. Hiring another actor for privacy clause might be issue for some reason here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think it’s Irri betraying Dany somehow, maybe when Dany brings the Dothraki back to Meereen and they have to get on the ships to sail to Westeros. On their first voyage, Irri tells Dany that the Dothraki women and children were crying but stopped when Dany entered their rooms. I always thought that was Irri trying to tell Dany she’s pushing them too far, and Dany doesn’t respond. To Irri that probably seemed like she didn’t care. Dany also makes another insensitive comment later when Irri mentions the horses can’t drink the poisoned water and Dany says she doesn’t mean to have them drink it. We also have more groundwork... Dany’s dragon bit her hand, her kisses taste of duty, and Dany snapped at her about Rhakaro. 

16 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think it’s Irri betraying Dany somehow, maybe when Dany brings the Dothraki back to Meereen and they have to get on the ships to sail to Westeros. On their first voyage, Irri tells Dany that the Dothraki women and children were crying but stopped when Dany entered their rooms. I always thought that was Irri trying to tell Dany she’s pushing them too far, and Dany doesn’t respond. To Irri that probably seemed like she didn’t care. Dany also makes another insensitive comment later when Irri mentions the horses can’t drink the poisoned water and Dany says she doesn’t mean to have them drink it. We also have more groundwork... Dany’s dragon bit her hand, her kisses taste of duty, and Dany snapped at her about Rhakaro. 

That would be sad. But very possible.

After all. One of the betrayals Daenerys will know will be a betrayal of blood.

Maybe something happens to Jhiqui (serious or minor, it doesn't matter that much) and Irri just snaps.

I don't think any of the previous betrayals were the betrayals. I think that they will all happen in the final book.

43 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

That would be sad. But very possible.

After all. One of the betrayals Daenerys will know will be a betrayal of blood.

Maybe something happens to Jhiqui (serious or minor, it doesn't matter that much) and Irri just snaps.

I don't think any of the previous betrayals were the betrayals. I think that they will all happen in the final book.

The only problem is that this seems so obvious to me that I can't believe that GRRM would have just "discovered" it in 2015.

But then again, he had to be told by a reader that Jon would be beheading Slynt instead of hanging him so....

I think the Dothraki need some complexity, they're all either "bad Dothraki" or "good Dothraki" in relationship to Dany. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, alienarea said:

IIRC there is this line by Ned in AGOT when he says he might have to deal with the king beyond the wall, paraphrased. In the line of the twist that would imply Mance and Ned know? Maybe Mance is someone who was allowed to take the black by Ned, and who deserted the nightwatch beyond the wall for his own safety?

Mance is Duncan Targaryen' son. He was taken to the Wall at some point by Bloodraven. Son of the heir who rejected the crown, he might still be consodered the heir, making him literally the King, beyond the Wall.

Archived