GRRM WoW Twist

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't think that was what he said specifically if I remember correctly - when he first talked about it he talked about a twist he had never thought of before which would work very fine in light of how things had developed so far. But that this was something the show could and would not do because he never told them about it before, being a new thing he came up with it.

He didn't confirmed it involved a character the show had already killed at the time. Unless he talked about this later on in more detail (which I'm not aware of).

https://ew.com/article/2016/02/25/george-rr-martins-game-thrones-twist/

“I have decided to do that, yes,” Martin said in the new interview when asked about his previous quote. “Will you know it? I don’t know. It’s fairly obvious because it is something that involves a couple of characters, one of whom is dead on the show, but not dead in the books. So the show can’t do it, because they have killed a character I have not killed. But that doesn’t narrow it down much because at this point there are like 15 characters who are dead on the show who are still alive on the books.”

Martin has confirmed that Brienne yelled “sword”.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/6425/

anyway after he finished reading the chapters, he opened the floor to some discussion about the plot of asoiaf, and some amazing genius girl said: you know my friends and i were debating this pretty heavily in the lobby just today, brienne screams “one word” as she is being hung by lady stoneheart’s men in a feast for crows - what was the word?

george turned the question on the audience and asked if anyone had figured it out - we shouted all kinds of dumb stuff, “jaime”, “sapphires”, etc. but some other genius in the second row said “sword”!

george confirmed that the word brienne screamed was “sword”; lady stoneheart gave brienne the choice of either swearing her sword to her or being hung, saying “sword or noose”, and as brienne was being hung she screamed “sword”

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

https://ew.com/article/2016/02/25/george-rr-martins-game-thrones-twist/

“I have decided to do that, yes,” Martin said in the new interview when asked about his previous quote. “Will you know it? I don’t know. It’s fairly obvious because it is something that involves a couple of characters, one of whom is dead on the show, but not dead in the books. So the show can’t do it, because they have killed a character I have not killed. But that doesn’t narrow it down much because at this point there are like 15 characters who are dead on the show who are still alive on the books.”

Ah, okay, thanks.

I'd then be reasonably confident that it involves Selmy is some fashion.

If we have Tyrion as a dragonrider and Dany's half-brother that certainly would involve Selmy - especially insofar as the revelation of the parentage is concerned, since he is essentially the only character who could know (more or less) firsthand.

Given George's track record about a work in progress he rarely mentioned small issues (the troubles he had with the timeline of the Aegon plot, the Meereenese knot, the Shrouded Lord stuff all seem to be pretty significant).

Whatever that twist is going to turn out to be it should be a rather significant thing. Not something about Mago or Grenn or Pyp or whoever else was already dead in the show by that time.

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Martin has confirmed that Brienne yelled “sword”.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/6425/

anyway after he finished reading the chapters, he opened the floor to some discussion about the plot of asoiaf, and some amazing genius girl said: you know my friends and i were debating this pretty heavily in the lobby just today, brienne screams “one word” as she is being hung by lady stoneheart’s men in a feast for crows - what was the word?

george turned the question on the audience and asked if anyone had figured it out - we shouted all kinds of dumb stuff, “jaime”, “sapphires”, etc. but some other genius in the second row said “sword”!

george confirmed that the word brienne screamed was “sword”; lady stoneheart gave brienne the choice of either swearing her sword to her or being hung, saying “sword or noose”, and as brienne was being hung she screamed “sword”

I know that, but technically "Stannis" is also choosing "sword", and it fills all the criteria this OP is discussing.

Just now, Feather Crystal said:

We shall see. ^_^

We shall indeed. But I'd really appreciate it if you could clarify what you mean. Martin was very specific, the word brienne screamed was “sword”.

Do you think he was being disingenuous, and she yelled "Stannis"?

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

We shall indeed. But I'd really appreciate it if you could clarify what you mean. Martin was very specific, the word brienne screamed was “sword”.

Do you think he was being disingenuous, and she yelled "Stannis"?

I thought I was being very specific. GRRM confirmed that Brienne chose "sword" back in June of 2012, but mentioned the "twist" in February of 2016 - which is nearly four years later. By changing the word she said from "sword" to "Stannis" is still choosing between "noose" and "sword", because Brienne needs her sword back in order to kill Stannis. Brienne had already sworn her sword to Catelyn and Catelyn had sworn to Brienne that when the time comes she would not stand in her way to kill Stannis. I think Brienne will remind Lady Stoneheart of both of their oaths, and Lady Stoneheart will remember.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:22 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Agree on all as possibilities but Catelyn. But I tend to think it’s either Stannis or ser Barry, and if I had to pick one I’d go with Barristan. 

Honestly, I just threw Catelyn out there. I can see her being instrumental in the fall of Littlefinger but that's the only big twist I can conceive.

Why Stannis or Barristan?

And why not Myrcella? The text tells us that the girl is both book smart and cunning, in the same vein as her uncle and her grandfather.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, Feather Crystal said:

I apologize if anyone else has already mentioned this - I haven't read through all the posts yet, but I've had this theory for a long time - ever since my first read through of the series. It has to do with Brienne and Stannis.

At the end of our story we're left with Brienne's capture by Lady Stoneheart. GRRM has already confirmed that her choice between noose and sword is "sword", but I think she will actually yell out "STANNIS!". GRRM has already set this up:

Lady Stoneheart may have her own agenda killing Freys and whatnot, but she will remember the oath that she made to Brienne and allow her to go after Stannis and kill him.

But Catelyn is not going to let Brienne just go. She's going to keep Podrick and Ser Hyle hostage and demand that Brienne bring her back Stannis' head or else all of their lives will be forfeit.

This isn't much of a twist though. People have been predicting this since the days of A Feast for Crows

53 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Honestly, I just threw Catelyn out there. I can see her being instrumental in the fall of Littlefinger but that's the only big twist I can conceive.

And why not Myrcella? The text tells us that the girl is both book smart and cunning, in the same vein as her uncle and her grandfather.

But Catelyn is not going to let Brienne just go. She's going to keep Podrick and Ser Hyle hostage and demand that Brienne bring her back Stannis' head or else all of their lives will be forfeit.

This isn't much of a twist though. People have been predicting this since the days of A Feast for Crows

Technically Brienne still considers herself pledged to Catelyn's memory, their oaths sealed after Renly's murder. Brienne also has Oathkeeper, the sword Jaime gave her to help her with her oath to always protect Lady Stark's children. Stannis has actually fallen to second place on Brienne's list of things to do, so I think if you were to reread this part of the story leading into her capture you'll notice Brienne is in a different "place". The expectation in the story is for Brienne to tell Lady Stoneheart that she hasn't forgotten about Sansa and Arya, but she may remind Lady Stoneheart about the promise she made while she was still Catelyn to "not stand in her way" and use that to get set free.

3 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I can see Stoneheart playing a part in Littlefinger’s fate as well. But to me Catelyn is dead, and therefore doesn’t fit the alive in the books/dead n the show criteria. 

I just don’t see Myrcella as being that important... it’s just my opinion, of course, and I know I can be totally wrong. Still, the way I see it, this twist will involve a secondary but much more plot relevant character than Myrcella. Same goes for many others, like Pyp, Grenn, etc. 

IMO the twist will involve Stannis, Selmy, Jojen, or Mance. And if I had to pick one, then I’d pick Selmy. I think the show handled these four characters very badly indeed... and I believe there’s great potential for a nice juicy twist w/ any of them. I have other thoughts on the matter but will leave it at that. :)

1 hour ago, alienarea said:

It could also simply be Jon not dying. Technically, he is alive in the books and died in the show.

Or Roose Bolton. 

I don’t think either one works... Martin confirmed that he was going to do the twist early on in 2016. Months before, at some point in 2015, he first brought up the possibility; he said then he had had an idea for a twist but wasn’t sure yet whether he’d go for it or not. And when he confirmed it and said one of the characters involved in this twist had already been killed off by the show, neither Jon nor Roose had died yet. Both died in series 6, which premiered in April (I think?) 2016. 

22 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I can see Stoneheart playing a part in Littlefinger’s fate as well. But to me Catelyn is dead, and therefore doesn’t fit the alive in the books/dead n the show criteria. 

I just don’t see Myrcella as being that important... it’s just my opinion, of course, and I know I can be totally wrong. Still, the way I see it, this twist will involve a secondary but much more plot relevant character than Myrcella. Same goes for many others, like Pyp, Grenn, etc. 

IMO the twist will involve Stannis, Selmy, Jojen, or Mance. And if I had to pick one, then I’d pick Selmy. I think the show handled these four characters very badly indeed... and I believe there’s great potential for a nice juicy twist w/ any of them. I have other thoughts on the matter but will leave it at that. :)

I don’t think either one works... Martin confirmed that he was going to do the twist early on in 2016. Months before, at some point in 2015, he first brought up the possibility; he said then he had had an idea for a twist but wasn’t sure yet whether he’d go for it or not. And when he confirmed it and said one of the characters involved in this twist had already been killed off by the show, neither Jon nor Roose had died yet. Both died in series 6, which premiered in April (I think?) 2016. 

Technically, Jon died in season 5.

You're right, I didn't look into when GRRM first came up with the twist and how it related to the show.

The most interesting options are Mance or Barristan.

IMHO, I would prefer Mance being somehow responsible for the Others by opening the wrong grave(s) in the Frostfangs and fixing it by opening the right grave in the crypts of Winterfell.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:53 PM, kissdbyfire said:

I always forget about Jojen.

Maybe it's because I watched him die on screen before I got caught up on reading the books.

I think it will be Mance or Barristan. Jojen doesn't seem important enough to matter. He and Stannis both seem to have endings already preconceived by George quite early on. Personally I hope it will be Mance his story is so interesting and I would like to find out what he knows about the Others.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was already pretty obvious that GRRM has backtracked on his twist and it won't be used?  He made a reference a while ago about him having an idea that ended up going into a rabbit hole so he had to scrap it and go back again.  That was the twist.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

I thought it was already pretty obvious that GRRM has backtracked on his twist and it won't be used?  He made a reference a while ago about him having an idea that ended up going into a rabbit hole so he had to scrap it and go back again.  That was the twist.

Ahhhh, nope. It's quite the oppoosite in fact. Unless you can provide quotes to back up what you're saying?

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ahhhh, nope. It's quite the oppoosite in fact. Unless you can provide quotes to back up what you're saying?

I'll see if I can dig them out.  He didn't specifically say it was about the twist but it was pretty obvious that was what he was referring too.  The interview was from this year.

3 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'll see if I can dig them out.  He didn't specifically say it was about the twist but it was pretty obvious that was what he was referring too.  The interview was from this year.

he spoke about changing his mind about something he said couple years ago, maybe that is interview that was made at the beginning of this year.

People assumed he spoke about twist, but I can't really be sure, maybe he did.

Archived