Sign in to follow this  
Elaena Targaryen

GRRM WoW Twist

I believe it was this quote.

In the case of any of my novels, I know where I’m starting from, I know where I want to end up, more or less. I know some of the big turning points along the way, the stuff I’m building for, but you discover an awful lot along the way. Characters rise up and seem more important, and you get to what you’d thought was going to be a big turning point and… the thing you’d thought about two years ago doesn’t really work as well, so you have a better idea! There’s always that process of discovery for me. I know not all writers work that way, but it’s always been the way I work.

He was talking about his way of writing in general. Since this time, it's possible he changed a lot of things. But maybe not the twist.

I still believe it's Barristan going to fAegon, the "true king". Dismayed by Daenerys' dothrakis, red priests and sellswords companies.

23 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Has anyone heard or read about the theory that the Hightower is a battery for the Wall?

No, not at all.

Please feel free to elaborate....it makes the whole Oldtown portion (Aeron/Euron/Sam/Alleras) of the plot THAT much more important!

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No, not at all.

Please feel free to elaborate....it makes the whole Oldtown portion (Aeron/Euron/Sam/Alleras) of the plot THAT much more important!

I just heard it this week, it appeared in a Reddit feed. Essentially, the Hightower is acting as a battery to keep the magic warding at the Wall working and it was built far away from the Wall for that reason.  I don’t know much else but it also involved the Faceless Men being acolytes to the God of Death, which is actually the Great Other. The Faceless Man/Pate is trying to bring down the Wall or shut down the battery. 

Now I don’t know how much of this I believe. it does make Oldtown plot seem more relevant but it seems morE plausible that the FM are after a Valyrian artifact (some of said a book about dragons, I think a glass candle) 

if anyone knows more please elaborate as my details are admittedly scant

Here is the link:

Since this theory is not my own, I don't want to badly summarize. Better for you all to read yourselves.

Edited by Lady Rhodes

9 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I just heard it this week, it appeared in a Reddit feed. Essentially, the Hightower is acting as a battery to keep the magic warding at the Wall working and it was built far away from the Wall for that reason.  I don’t know much else but it also involved the Faceless Men being acolytes to the God of Death, which is actually the Great Other. The Faceless Man/Pate is trying to bring down the Wall or shut down the battery. 

Now I don’t know how much of this I believe. it does make Oldtown plot seem more relevant but it seems morE plausible that the FM are after a Valyrian artifact (some of said a book about dragons, I think a glass candle) 

if anyone knows more please elaborate as my details are admittedly scant

Here is the link:

Since this theory is not my own, I don't want to badly summarize. Better for you all to read yourselves.

Thanks I am going to look into this when I get home and settled. 

It makes sense from a cursory glance. The Hightower family are as old as the Starks and the Daynes and the rock upon which it was built is made up of a very strange material.

This is just making me all the more hyped up to see the Oldtown chapters in Winds. The battle in the Redwyne Straits will likely occur in the Aeron POV but Sam will take care of everything else...

I mentioned a while back in an unrelated thread that the Hightower’s feature prominently in the older annals of Westeros but have been silent as of late. Makes me think we are in for a treat

Something shocking about Dany vs Stannis, because it seems to include a "couple of characters", one dead character in the show and another character alive.

Or maybe something about Ser Barristan Selmy, or Shireen.