28 minutes ago, Dalinar said:

Maybe Barristan decides to betray Daenerys in favour of Young Griff, because he believes that he is Aegon VI. 

Precisely my thought. If Barristan survives the battle of fire, which I think he will, I believe that his loyalties being tested (and his inner turmoil over the right thing to do vs perhaps what is the most "honorable" thing to do) is most likely his final character arc. If fAegon turns out to actually be a Targ he would have the better claim over Daeny, soooo what's an honorable old man supposed to do?  

On 9/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

This has gotta be a pipe dream, right? Why wait four books to bring it back up for it to be the "twist". My best guess is that is has to do with Selmy. He knows so much and has so much potential with his ties to Daeny and possibly to (f)Aegon if he falls for his chance to redeem his past failures to protect his King's family.  

Yeah, Rhaego isn't even a proper character in the books. And is very dead in both books and show. I agree, there's a very good chance it's Selmy. Another good candidate is Stannis. 

57 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, Rhaego isn't even a proper character in the books. And is very dead in both books and show. I agree, there's a very good chance it's Selmy. Another good candidate is Stannis. 

My head says Barristan, but my heart wants Stannis, haha. I'd love for Stannis to stick around into Dream with his influence ever diminishing to the point where both him and Davos are of a similar rank serving whomever leads the north after the BoI. Those Stannis POVs would be gold. 

Edited by Lord Daedrunk
a word

In my opinion (I wrote my own topic about it) I believe the likeliest candidates will be Syrio, Rickon, The Hound or (this is gonna sound crazy) Mycah 

5 hours ago, JonSnow776 said:

In my opinion (I wrote my own topic about it) I believe the likeliest candidates will be Syrio, Rickon, The Hound or (this is gonna sound crazy) Mycah 

The Hound is not dead n the show, so I don’t see how it could be him. Micah died in both, and is such a minor character that I don’t really see the point. Rickon doesn’t sound right either, since Martin has had big plans for him for a long time. And Syrio, IMO, is very dead in the books. 

ETA: The Hound did die, very stupidly I might add, but only s8, long after the twist idea.

Edited by kissdbyfire

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The Hound is not dead n the show, so I don’t see how it could be him. Micah died in both, and is such a minor character that I don’t really see the point. Rickon doesn’t sound right either, since Martin has had big plans for him for a long time. And Syrio, IMO, is very dead in the books. 

I could be mistaken, but was Rickon still alive on the show when GRRM made that comment? Sorry it's been a while.

Edited by sifth

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

I could be mistaken, but was Rickson still alive on the show when GRRM made that comment? Sorry it's been a while.

You know, I'm not e entirely sure. I think so. I think Martin fist talked about the twist (as a possibility) same year series 5 aired, and then some months later he confirmed that he was going to do it. But that's all off the top of my head,  and I could be wrong. 

ETA: @sifth, here's what I found, from Feb 2016:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/grrm-thought-of-a-new-twist-that-got-cant-use.html

Edited by kissdbyfire

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You know, I'm not e entirely sure. I think so. I think Martin fist talked about the twist (as a possibility) same year series 5 aired, and then some months later he confirmed that he was going to do it. But that's all off the top of my head,  and I could be wrong. 

ETA: @sifth, here's what I found, from Feb 2016:

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/grrm-thought-of-a-new-twist-that-got-cant-use.html

If it's 2016, then it's the year Rickon was killed off on the show. Though GRRM made this comment back in February of the year that happened. Dam, this one might be too close to call.

Just now, sifth said:

If it's 2016, then it's the year Rickon was killed off on the show. Though GRRM made this comment back in February of the year that happened. Dam, this one might be too close to call.

I think that Martin already knew Rickon would die - again, stupidly - when he talked about the twist. That said, I don't think he would have spoiled show info, so imo it's a character that was already dead when he talked about it. So, s5 or earlier.