US Politics: Follow the Money!

Fragile Bird

White House Examining Plan to Help Iranian People Oppose Regime
White paper pushes bid to help Iranians topple already weak hardline regime

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/white-house-examining-plan-spark-regime-change-iran/

The Trump administration is examining a new plan to help Iranians fighting the hardline regime in Iran following America's exit from the landmark nuclear deal and reimposition of harsh economic sanctions that could topple a regime already beset by protests and a crashing economy, according to a copy of the plan obtained by the Washington Free Beacon.

The three-page white paper being circulated among National Security Council officials in the White House offers a strategy by which the Trump administration can actively work to assist an already aggravated Iranian public topple the hardline ruling regime through a democratization strategy that focuses on driving a deeper wedge between the Iranian people and the ruling regime.

The plan, authored by the Security Studies Group, or SSG, a national security think-tank that has close ties to senior White House national security officials, including National Security Adviser John Bolton, seeks to reshape longstanding American foreign policy toward Iran by emphasizing an explicit policy of regime change, something the Obama administration opposed when popular protests gripped Iran in 2009.

4 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

White House Examining Plan to Help Iranian People Oppose Regime
White paper pushes bid to help Iranians topple already weak hardline regime

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/white-house-examining-plan-spark-regime-change-iran/

I thought we were out of Regime change.

Really depressing to show how nothing was learned from Iraq.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I don't see how this could possibly be wishful thinking.  Clinton's economic message did not resonate with voters.  That isn't wishful at all. 

The 'wishful' part is that somehow, the problem here is that she could have just crafted her message better and that would've worked.

That Clinton's message didn't resonate with (enough) white working class voters wasn't about how well the message was crafted.

8 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

You attributing far more thought to the joke than I gave it. I don't care about McCain. At all. I saw a opportunity to make a Harry Potter joke and I took it.

That’s fair enough, apologies. :)

Seems to me a significant reason Trump won was because his protectionist rhetoric helped him flip the midwest in his favor.  There are plenty of democratic voters skeptical of free trade, and Clinton didn't really do much to persuade them.  So I don't blame it all on racism, that's an oversimplification.

1 minute ago, Red Hermit said:

Seems to me a significant reason Trump won was because his protectionist rhetoric helped him flip the midwest in his favor.  There are plenty of democratic voters skeptical of free trade, and Clinton didn't really do much to persuade them.  So I don't blame it all on racism, that's an oversimplification.

If you're willing to vote for a blatant racist, sexist, admitted serial assaulter accused of literally a score of sexual assaults...

You're a racist, sexist, serial assault enabler.

Putting money and security above morality is not misguided, it's actively corrupt. It's literally the definition of compromising values.

Democrats: Prepare to Pack the Supreme Court
If Republicans refuse to let the other party govern, all options should be on the table.

https://newrepublic.com/article/148358/democrats-prepare-pack-supreme-court

It would be very wrong, however, to assume that the overwhelming Democratic majorities in Congress would have continued to do nothing had the Court kept striking down critical New Deal programs. Had the Court refused to back down in 1937, it very likely would have resulted in some combination of Court-packing and jurisdiction-stripping.

Our contemporary elite polarization means that the center-right Courts of the last four decades will be a thing of the past as soon as Justice Kennedy leaves: The median vote of the Court will be either a conservative like John Roberts or Sam Alito, or a liberal in the mold of Elena Kagan or Ruth Bader Ginsburg. That the Court will be strongly aligned with one political faction during a time of close partisan competition is tinder that could easily fuel a constitutional crisis.

9 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

If you're willing to vote for a blatant racist, sexist, admitted serial assaulter accused of literally a score of sexual assaults...

You're a racist, sexist, serial assault enabler.

Putting money and security above morality is not misguided, it's actively corrupt. It's literally the definition of compromising values.

They are at least willfully ignorant of Trump's pandering to racism and misogyny.  It is definitely corrupt.

1 minute ago, Red Hermit said:

They are at least willfully ignorant of Trump's pandering to racism and misogyny.  It is definitely corrupt.

Willful ignorance is enabling by dint of refusing to deal with a problem.

And that's far too generous phrase anyway. Ignorance, willful or no, requires you at least pretend you don't know about the situation. He screamed his hate at the top of his lungs and they cheered or else tried to explain it away.

13 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Willful ignorance is enabling by dint of refusing to deal with a problem.

And that's far too generous phrase anyway. Ignorance, willful or no, requires you at least pretend you don't know about the situation. He screamed his hate at the top of his lungs and they cheered or else tried to explain it away.

I don't recall him ever trying to explain it away.

3 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yes I can.  Here's a GIF of the two campaigns' stops from Sept 1.  Here's an article noting Trump out-campaigned her by 50% in the key battleground states during the stretch run.  And here's another one noting she basically took the week off before the first debate to prepare, which is probably the least economical way for a candidate to spend their time when they're debating Donald Trump.

Hillary famously didn't visit Wisconsin during the stretch run, but she got thoroughly out-campaigned overall.  But then -- in PA coal counntry -- where I was during the Dem Nom Con -- she never ever went.  But I was yelled at over and over that if she dared show her face there they'd kill her.  They'd say this before or after howling about how badly the coal mine corps had generationally treated them and their families while screaming for it all to come back.  Don't blame Hillary for this.

I said that.  But she did work and campaign.  

But then -- in PA coal counntry -- where I was during the Dem Nom Con -- she never ever went.  I was there though, and these coal mining family members yelled over and over that if she dared show her face there they'd kill her.  They'd say this before or after howling about how badly the coal mine corps had generationally treated them and their families while screaming for it all to come back.  Don't blame Hillary for this.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

But then -- in PA coal counntry -- where I was during the Dem Nom Con -- she never ever went.  I was there though, and these coal mining family members yelled over and over that if she dared show her face there they'd kill her.  They'd say this before or after howling about how badly the coal mine corps had generationally treated them and their families while screaming for it all to come back.  Don't blame Hillary for this.

If you're not willing to go to places where a significant portion of the population wants to kill you, then don't run for president.  Trump lives in NYC.  Even then, those aren't the areas she'd be going to in swing states, so it's a moot point.  The fact is Clinton got half-lapped by a lazy septuagenerian that has shown a juvenile propensity towards fast food.  Was she bad at campaigning?  Yeah, but that doesn't mean you don't try, and in doing so, try to get better.  So, yes, I will attribute the appropriate amount of blame to her campaign, or lack thereof.

On the McCain thing, I agree he's vainglorious and selfish.  That's a pretty spot-on depiction.  But so was Ted Kennedy (not to say I'm comparing their legislative output - in magnitude and character, Kennedy was what McCain could have been), and I don't remember the urge to call him names or impugn his character while he was dying from brain cancer.

25 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

On the McCain thing, I agree he's vainglorious and selfish.  That's a pretty spot-on depiction.  But so was Ted Kennedy (not to say I'm comparing their legislative output - in magnitude and character, Kennedy was what McCain could have been), and I don't remember the urge to call him names or impugn his character while he was dying from brain cancer.

So we should wait to impugn his character until after he dies from brain cancer? 

Or we should have done it before he got brain cancer?

But definitely not while he has brain cancer and is dying from it? 

Honestly, why is this is relevant to his character at all, or one's ability to impugn it?

21 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

So we should wait to impugn his character until after he dies from brain cancer? 

Or we should have done it before he got brain cancer?

But definitely not while he has brain cancer and is dying from it? 

Yes.

21 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Honestly, why is this is relevant to his character at all, or one's ability to impugn it?

I dunno, common decency.

Archived