US Politics: Follow the Money!

Fragile Bird

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Not to mention how every single person around the dumbster is neck deep in Russians and Russian money.  How is that a straw man?

Because you said we were 'laughing off' the entire Russian investigation by taking issue with your description that it was the most corrupt election of history.  Disregarding the fact that the first 130 years of presidential elections basically only included an electorate of white males, there are plenty of examples of more brazen corruption - like, yes, 1876, in which Hayes traded away Reconstruction for the deciding electoral vote (not to mention the widespread reports of fraud and violence against GOP voters in southern states); or, say 1824, when Adams bought the presidency by naming Henry Clay SoS, a "corrupt bargain" that spurred the creation of the modern Democratic party.  Anyway, nobody's 'laughing off' the Russian investigation just because they disagree with your interpretation of "most corrupt." 

If you weren't saying Clinton's lack of campaigning wasn't the cause of her loss, why did you bring it up at all, and bring it up as the only factor in your protest instead of mentioning the other factors.

I brought it up because you said "To be fair to Clinton, she campaigned relentlessly on jobs and financial challenges," and "But she did work, and campaign, constantly.  You cannot say otherwise."  Well, yes I can say otherwise because the fact is she did not campaign relentlessly (or constantly), or at least she campaigned half as relentlessly as her opponent (who's not exactly renowned for being a hard worker).  I didn't bring up other factors because I was never arguing it was the only, or major, factor contributing to her defeat.  Didn't think that needed to be clarified, because that's ridiculous.

Calling this straw men and moving goalposts -- that's telling someone to sit down and shut up. 

No, it's telling you to stop misrepresenting my positions something I think I'm entitled to.  And it is the definition of strawmanning/moving goalposts when I say Clinton didn't campaign relentlessly, and you argue back that it wasn't the only or major factor in her defeat.  I mean, what?  Same thing with Russia - I say there were many other elections more corrupt, and you say I'm laughing off the investigation.

Not saying its exactly the same thing, but it sure does remind one of the rethug  the other day, yelling at Maxine Waters on the floor of the House, who vociferously was objecting to the nullification of the 5-year regulation against discrimination against black people for auto loans, to sit down and shut up, yelling how sick he is of hers and others blathering about anti-discrimination.

:rolleyes:  Yeah, you're a regular freedom fighter.

8 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Well, it is the rubber and road with this move. Every pro-withdrawal article state Europe will choose trading with U.S over Iran. Also will be Russia and China will not look to defend Iran as well. So even though the U.S violated a Treaty the rest of the world will still follow us or not interfere.

The US would do a lot more harm to its economy by sanctioning Europe, China or [maybe] Russia in any substantial way. The US sanctioning Iran is painless, since the US had bugger all trade with Iran anyway. But I can see some limited action being taken where countries are being used to funnel US goods into Iran in violation of the US sanctions. But no way is the USA going to sanction countries that have bilateral trade with Iran not involving US goods.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The US would do a lot more harm to its economy by sanctioning Europe, China or [maybe] Russia in any substantial way. The US sanctioning Iran is painless, since the US had bugger all trade with Iran anyway.

It's part of the reason saffron is about $1,000,000,000,000 per gram, though. Most of it - which is already expensive - comes from Iran.

I hope the USA does sanction Europe. It'd be nice for someone else to rule the world for a while.

13 minutes ago, Yukle said:

It's part of the reason saffron is about $1,000,000,000,000 per gram, though. Most of it - which is already expensive - comes from Iran.

I hope the USA does sanction Europe. It'd be nice for someone else to rule the world for a while.

Eh, just use tumeric, it's a reasonable alternative and it's one of those "superfoods" as well. 

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Eh, just use tumeric, it's a reasonable alternative and it's one of those "superfoods" as well. 

Turmeric instead of saffron?! Wash your mouth out, philistine! :P 

Donald Trump and Sean Hannity Like to Talk Before Bedtime

Life inside the bunker of Fox News’ resident Trumplegänger.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/sean-hannity-donald-trump-late-night-calls.html

but Hannity is at the center. “Generally, the feeling is that Sean is the leader of the outside kitchen cabinet,” one White House official said, echoing other staffers (current and removed). I was told by one person that Hannity “fills the political void” left by Steve Bannon, a statement Bannon seemed to agree with

So if the US sanctions Europe over Iran, does that mean it will sanction countries that trade with Europe? That will probably mean all countries will be sanctioned, with the exception of North Korea. So that's why the US is getting all friendly with North Korea, because pretty soon North Korea will be the US's #1 trading partner.

It's all connected.

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I asked about this some time ago, right? So now the apocalypse and the rapture are coming?

Pretty much. Every prophecy that's fulfilled before Satan(?) comes down (edit: I mean up [from Hell]) to rule the world for 7 years and implements a word government of oppression and tyranny is bringing forward the day that Satan(?) comes down (edit: I mean up [from Hell]) and rules for 7 years by implementing a world government of oppression and tyranny. Or something like that.

So it does seem like there's one thing almost everyone, religious or not, can agree on: Trump is a harbinger of the apocalypse. The only point of difference is the nature and cause of said apocalypse.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So if the US sanctions Europe over Iran, does that mean it will sanction countries that trade with Europe? That will probably mean all countries will be sanctioned, with the exception of North Korea. So that's why the US is getting all friendly with North Korea, because pretty soon North Korea will be the US's #1 trading partner.

It's all connected.

If the relevant players in Europe reimpose the former Iran sanctions again because the U.S. unilaterally violated an international agreement they might as well get it over with and become states.

I tried Saffron as a cooking ingredient and didn't get the appeal. Yes, it turns rice a nice yellow color, but that's about it. 

I can't see Trump sanctioning Europe over Iran. He's already functionally hollowed out his tariff with exemptions (including for Europe). 

Boltons a flipping idiot, an embarrasment to the country, he should fit in this administration perfectly. Im hoping the Euro countries stand firm and tell the U.S. they wont reward them for violating the Iranian treaty. Children shouldnt get their way when they misbehave.

CNN has devoted much air time on the lack of an apology from the White House for the Kelly Sadler  insensitive "dying" comment about John McCain.

In the highly unlikely event that such an apology would come, it would be more meaningless than had it made immediately after the comment. The only response from the administration has been to twist the comment into a "leak" issue, casting Sadler as a "victim."

The bottom line is that Donald's staff members share the level of compassion so frequently displayed by their boss. Not much of a revelation.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/israeli-forces-kill-dozens-of-palestinians-amid-gaza-protest.html

Dozens of Palestinians Shot Dead by Israeli Forces Amid Gaza Protest

As the U.S. prepares to open its new embassy in Jerusalem on Monday, violence is spiraling out of control on the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian health officials said Israeli forces killed at least 41 Palestinian protesters and injured more than 1,500 as of Monday morning, with the death toll rising by the hour.

Thousands of Palestinian protestors attempted to breach the border fence between Gaza and Israeli territory, hurling rocks and flaming tires, and were turned back by Israeli tear gas and live rifle fire. Protestors also launched several flaming kites across the border.

Mueller's Probe Is Even More Expansive Than It Seems
The special counsel’s team has interviewed a number of big names. But their interest in more obscure players tells a story, too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/muellers-probe-is-more-expansive-than-it-seems/560255/

Mifsud is one of several key figures among a complicated cast of characters shaping the Russia probe. In the spring of 2016, Mifsud told a young Trump campaign aide, George Papadopoulos, that Russia had “dirt” on Clinton in the form of “thousands of emails,” according to the special counsel’s statement of the offense against Papadopoulos, who was indicted for misleading federal agents about his conversations with Mifsud. Russia had hacked the Democratic National Committee months earlier, and would soon break into Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s inbox. It is still not clear how Mifsud seemed to know in advance that Russia sought to compromise Clinton’s candidacy.

Archived