US Politics: Follow the Money!

Fragile Bird

32 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

The shooter in Texas is a trump supporting neo nazi, im so shocked.

The real tragedy here is the failure of the American Educational System.

How in the fuck a kid has Nazi and assorted fascist symbols on an article of clothing right next to the Hammer and Sickle is beyond me.

People can't even be bothered to engage in proper extremism anymore. It's depressing.

It's because of the concerted war by the right and rethugs on public education since the 1970's.  Notice, the NRA doesn't even call this a high school, but "a government school," where the government brainwashes Our Children into hating the 2nd amendment, abortion and takin' away our gunzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

4 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

The real tragedy here is the failure of the American Educational System.

How in the fuck a kid has Nazi and assorted fascist symbols on an article of clothing right next to the Hammer and Sickle is beyond me.

People can't even be bothered to engage in proper extremism anymore. It's depressing.

This kind of ahistorical gibberish is not new or rare. Witness the number of numbfucks who venerate the flag of a failed slavers' rebellion alongside the flag of the country that crushed said slavers' rebellion.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It's because of the concerted war by the right and rethugs on public education since the 1970's.  Notice, the NRA doesn't even call this a high school, but "a government school," where the government brainwashes Our Children into hating the 2nd amendment, abortion and takin' away our gunzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Dude, this is scary true. Did you know that in Oklahoma and Kansas a bunch of districts only have school 4 days a week? That's fucking madness. Kids already don't get enough education with 5 days.

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This kind of ahistorical gibberish is not new or rare. Witness the number of numbfucks who venerate the flag of a failed slavers' rebellion alongside the flag of the country that crushed said slavers' rebellion.

Yeah, but that one at least has the (bullshit) romanticism of a losing effort against an objectively immoral enemy combatant.

But Nazi v Soviet is the kind of shit that has definitive lines in the sand. We still don't properly appreciate the magnitude of that showdown. The worst war in human history by factors of factors should matter.

I just hope the person who guns me down has actual convictions.

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

It seems we interpret norm/normalizing different.  There are very few norms or standards across presidents.  In the four presidents I can remember, each one established his own standard.  And Clinton could get away with things Bush couldn't, and vice versa, and so forth.  What I think we all can agree on is Trump has degraded the standards of the presidency more than anyone since Nixon.  But that doesn't mean the next president will not develop her own standards, norms, whatever.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just arguing that what Trump is doing is different. Not in the sense as you described, but in the sense that he's the only one whose norm might be the end of a traditional democracy. That's why I was saying during the campaign that people were being foolish to root for him to win the nomination. Rubio would have done things I hated, but I would never have been afraid. Cruz would be next level gross, but again, I wouldn't be worried about the health of the Republic. Trump had no understanding or respect for the norms of democracies, and showed autocratic tendencies. I argues at best Trump would be an incompetent kleptocrat, and at worst, he would be the first president to refuse to relinquish his presidential powers once his term of office came to a Constitutional end. Those are the norms I was talking about.  

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

I didn't say it was normal. I said it's the new normal. I clearly don't accept it as I keep posting links here on shit I read and find interesting/terrible but it's pretty clear from what I do read, from the polling, from the TV news (local and cable) that I watch, that this crap registers with people who are already against it and barely registers with people who just don't care or don't pay attention. There is massive fatigue right now on one side and propaganda on the other.

I know man. I wasn't taking a shot at you or anything. And I do appreciate your updates. You and Fez are sometimes faster then the major news outlets.

:P

48 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Dude, this is scary true. Did you know that in Oklahoma and Kansas a bunch of districts only have school 4 days a week? That's fucking madness. Kids already don't get enough education with 5 days.

The budget cuts are insane too. We're only increasing the haves vs. have-nots, and it's being done systematically through the education and judicial systems, among other things.

Here's an example of just how bad it's getting. Right out of college I got a low pay internship for a Senator, so I had to get a side job. I was hired to be a "tutor," but really I was a teacher using a loophole to get around state laws. I taught math and reading to 5th and 7th graders a few days a week who had emotional issue and/or behavioral problems. In one of the reading classes we cover aspects of WW2. Several of the kids had never heard of Hitler. HITLER! And that was with both the 5th and 7th graders. These are the same kids who I assume now are trapped in their phones. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The budget cuts are insane too. We're only increasing the haves vs. have-nots, and it's being done systematically through the education and judicial systems, among other things.

Here's an example of just how bad it's getting. Right out of college I got a low pay internship for a Senator, so I had to get a side job. I was hired to be a "tutor," but really I was a teacher using a loophole to get around state laws. I taught math and reading to 5th and 7th graders a few days a week who had emotional issue and/or behavioral problems. In one of the reading classes we cover aspects of WW2. Several of the kids had never heard of Hitler. HITLER! And that was with both the 5th and 7th graders. These are the same kids who I assume now are trapped in their phones. 

Yeah, that's why I told you the fight's already over.

I had pictures of the holocaust in my 4th grade textbook. Looking back, I don't think they were graphic enough when I remember how many boys thought the Nazis were cool in HS.

The oligarchs won, again, America is cooked. Stick a fork in it.

3 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Yeah, that's why I told you the fight's already over.

I had pictures of the holocaust in my 4th grade textbook. Looking back, I don't think they were graphic enough when I remember how many boys thought the Nazis were cool in HS.

The oligarchs won, again, America is cooked. Stick a fork in it.

Same goes for how some school books are completely removing slavery. The atrocities of the past are the oligarchs' seekwrits.

On a lighter note, it's nice to see that Trump is not totally destroying our most important alliances:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/16/17360380/trump-donald-tusk-twitter

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump had no understanding or respect for the norms of democracies, and showed autocratic tendencies. I argues at best Trump would be an incompetent kleptocrat, and at worst, he would be the first president to refuse to relinquish his presidential powers once his term of office came to a Constitutional end. Those are the norms I was talking about.  

I agree with the bolded, but I'm not worried about him relinquishing his powers.  And the biggest "norm" there is in polarized politics is the president can get away with more and more under unified government, and will be investigated up the ass during divided government.  The last time an intraparty chamber seriously investigated its president was when?  LBJ, maybe?  

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

And here are those 6 pieces of shit-

Six Democrats helped Republicans in confirming Haspel: 

• Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, 
• Sen. Joe Donnelly of Indiana, 
• Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida, 
• Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, 
• Sen. Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, and 
• Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia – 

So you’re saying the CIA knows some really juicy career ending (possible jail time) scandals on Warner, Shaheen, and Nelson? Tell me more!

11 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

So you’re saying the CIA knows some really juicy career ending (possible jail time) scandals on Warner, Shaheen, and Nelson? Tell me more!

Nelson has to contend with Scott, I'm sure it was electorally driven.  Warner is the ranking Dem on the committee, he wants to maintain coordination.  Shaheen's the only weird one - unless she already hears Ayotte's footsteps in 2020.

A House Republican Rebellion on Two Fronts

As House moderates near success in forcing votes on DACA, Speaker Paul Ryan is facing another uprising from the conservatives who tanked the farm bill on Friday

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/republican-leaders-confront-an-immigration-revolt-on-two-sides/560729/

To head off an attempt by Republican moderates to force votes on bipartisan immigration bills—a formal petition drive that’s only a handful of GOP signatures away from succeeding—the conservatives had demanded a firm commitment from the leadership for a vote on their preferred immigration proposal. But when a deal didn’t materialize on Thursday night, they voted down the farm bill.

58 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Nelson has to contend with Scott, I'm sure it was electorally driven.  Warner is the ranking Dem on the committee, he wants to maintain coordination.  Shaheen's the only weird one - unless she already hears Ayotte's footsteps in 2020.

Seems like a good way for Nelson to depress turnout amongst his base voters, and prove to other democrat voters he’s scum. So if it’s electorally driven, it’s because he’s electorally suicidal?

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Screw the farmers! They need to shoulder their share of sacrifices!

Well, thanks to all this tariff BS China has decided to buy soybeans from Russia instead of the US.  Good work Trumpy!

China has already canceled several shipments from the U.S. in anticipation of tariffs on the country’s products. While Brazil is expected to take much of that market share, Russia is also benefiting.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-buys-record-amount-russian-121938133.html

13 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Seems like a good way for Nelson to depress turnout amongst his base voters, and prove to other democrat voters he’s scum. So if it’s electorally driven, it’s because he’s electorally suicidal?

Obviously he doesn't think so.  He's won a lot of elections in Florida.  Only lost one to my knowledge.

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

Well, thanks to all this tariff BS China has decided to buy soybeans from Russia instead of the US.  Good work Trumpy!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-buys-record-amount-russian-121938133.html

About time these Farmer Fucks get a turn on the nut buster.

I'll say a few words at a lamp that the entire over produced American consumption industry collapses into nothingness.

This country could use a good famine or three. Man made or otherwise.

Archived