House Targaryen, the First Family of ASOIAF

867-5309

18 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Daenerys Targaryen and her family are more important than all of Westeros.  Their significance is greater than the kingdom they built.  Their time ruling in Westeros is only a chapter in the long history of the Targaryen family.  There are chapters before and there can be many more even if Westeros dies.  The kingdom could fall to the White Walkers and the Targaryens can still build an empire somewhere else.  Should Westeros fall it will be the other families like the Starks who will become footnotes.

Correct.  The importance of the Targaryens is greater than Westeros.  This is a big world.  Daenerys Targaryen can always build her empire in Essos even if Westeros is lost to the White Walkers.  

18 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

Correct.  The importance of the Targaryens is greater than Westeros.  Daenerys Targaryen can always build her empire in Essos

Last time I read the books, she tried and she failed miserably; thousands of people are dying because of her. Let's hope the Dothrakis lock her up in Vaes Dothrak; so far she's a disaster armed with dragons. For one freed slave, another (or more) is killed; this is what happens when one gets involved in politics without having a clear project (and when one dates a mercenary with a ridiculous tricolor beard :hat:).

On 5/11/2018 at 5:15 AM, Kandrax said:

I think that chance for Valyria to be reborn are equal to chance that some drunken beggar become Pope.

Not necessarily.  The Dothraki are the major force in Essos.  All she need do is take control of the khalasars and most of Essos will be hers.  The Dothraki + The Unsullied + Former Slaves Training to Be Soldiers + Three Dragons = Power.  The new capital will have to be built elsewhere but it can be done.  

On 5/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, Allardyce said:

The Targaryens are the most important family in the story.  Their history is enough to have a major portion of TWOIAF devoted to them.  And if the theory holds true that the Targaryens can trace their lineage back to the rulers of the Great Empire of the Dawn, then that makes them royalty right from the start.  

I don't think Jon Snow is a Targaryen.   

:)

On 5/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, Tour De Force said:

The Baratheon rule and the War of the Five Idiots (Robb, Stannis, Balon, Joff, and Renly) have really made a mess of things.  The Targaryens left behind a full treasury and now the realm is indebted to the Iron Bank.  Stannis and even the Wall are now indebted to the Iron Bank.  The Lord Commander just fucked up and got the NW mixed up in politics.  The Dornish are plotting war.  Euron is making trouble.  It is time for a Targaryen Restoration led by Daenerys.  

Westeros is in really bad shape and it looks to get worse.  The main trouble spots are the North and the Reach.  War could break out between the Wildlings and the Boltons, thanks to Jon's meddling.  Euron is attacking the mainland.   The Iron Bank is desperate to collect what is owed them.  The houses are destroying each other before the white walkers have crossed the wall.  Whoever are left when Dany makes it over there will beg for her help rather than resist.   

On 5/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Nowy Tends said:

No it is not, unless one reads only Daenery's POV chapters. There's a "I" in ASOIAF, for "Ice". It's not ASODragonsAF.

It's as much the story of the Starks or the Lannisters as that of the Targaryens, who after 5 books and 5000 pages are represented by ONE character, seriously ill and lost in a desert…

Sure the Starks are important but they are not as important as the Targaryens.  

8 minutes ago, Texas Hold Em said:

Sure the Starks are important but they are not as important as the Targaryens.  

Please define "important". I'm curious to know what are your ranking criteria… Tits? Dragons?

3 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Please define "important". I'm curious to know what are your ranking criteria… Tits? Dragons?

Importance in the story.  The impact they have on the story.  The impact the families have on the world of planetos.  

On 5/11/2018 at 10:08 AM, shameeka said:

While I am excited about the upcoming Targaryen books, are they really the first family in the planetos? Brandon the Builder was the first Stark and I think his time was before Valyria.

I may be reading the first post wrong but I believe she meant the most important to the story.  The Targaryens are indeed the most important family in the series.  George Martin went to a lot of trouble to tell us the history of the Targaryens and more will be coming.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:34 PM, Allardyce said:

I think the chances are better that he's not a Targaryen.  

:agree:

And while we're on this topic, I don't think Tyrion is a Targaryen.  The Targaryens are Daenerys, Bloodraven, and Aegon Blackfyre.  BR is a bastard but still a Targaryen.  A Blackfyre is a Targaryen.  Varys is a possible dragon.  

On 5/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, goldenmaps said:

i agree.  If she takes Westeros it will be as a conqueror.  I think the Westerosi perception of her won't be good no matter what her intentions are.   If one Dothraki steals or rapes someone there is no good way in spinning that in her favor. 

That's little different from a sacking and yet people recovered from the sack of King's Landing by the Lannister troops.  In any case, if there is one person who can change the entire Dothraki cutlure, it is Daenerys Targaryen.  And to be honest, she doesn't need the Dothraki to take Westeros.  She has her dragons, the Unsullied, and her army will grow as the freed men get trained.  I believe the Dothraki will stay in Westeros to enforce a ban on slavery.  

I do not foresee much fighting at all.  Many of the noble houses of Westeros will welcome the return of Targaryen rule.  

On 5/14/2018 at 8:45 PM, 867-5309 said:

Not necessarily.  The Dothraki are the major force in Essos.  All she need do is take control of the khalasars and most of Essos will be hers.  The Dothraki + The Unsullied + Former Slaves Training to Be Soldiers + Three Dragons = Power.  The new capital will have to be built elsewhere but it can be done.  

I agree.  There is a chance of a new empire rising in the east.  

Archived