Rugby: Building up to Japan

ljkeane

7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Not even slightly embarrassing then...

Surely no-one actually believed that Japan were going to be a bunch of mugs?

You would think that if anybody should know not to underestimate Japan it should be Eddie Jones.

The game in Dublin did live up to the expectations of the two best sides in the world competing against each other. It was very intense all the way through, towards the end the Irish looked as if they were almost running out of energy but they managed to hang on for an excellent win.

The first half in Edinburgh also featured a lot of entertaining play from both sides, although Scotland seemed to find it difficult to get an decent possession in the second half.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a very enjoyable game between Aussies and England. 

Much to feel good about if you're England, Cokanisaga emerging as a very strong winger, May is likely to continue to start as well, also liked the flanker's  performance in this game, though at some point Billy V will return at 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how people feel about this thread being contaminated with mention of 7s. But I think it's worth mention, because it's quite a momentous occasion in world Rugby: As of round 2 of the 7s world series the USA is top of the table with two 2nd place results. And in the latest round they beat NZ in the semis to make the finals and lost of Fiji.

So, congratulations to the USA to being a genuine championship contender in at least one form of the game.

• 1 month later...

So Edinburgh will have a home quarterfinal and, in the process, have ensured that Glasgow will be in the knockouts of the Champions Cup too. I think that's the best performance for Scottish teams in Europe I can remember, not a bad way to lead into the Six Nations.

Speaking of the Six Nations this is the England squad for the start of the tournament. Overall it looks pretty strong although Ireland away is a very tough start. With that in mind Underhill's a loss, his defence would be pretty useful in Dublin, but Curry, Wilson and even Earl aren't bad options at openside.

• 2 weeks later...

The Six Nations starts tomorrow and it should be a good tournament leading up to the World Cup and following on from a strong set of Autumn Internationals for Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Ireland have to be favourites with probably the strongest squad they've ever had with the confidence of winning last year plus beating New Zealand. England will have a tough task going to Dublin first up but they're a lot closer to full strength than they have been for a couple of years. Wales are on a really good run of their own and they have Ireland and England at home. Scotissh sides are having a great season in Europe and they'll hope they can carry that through to the International stage. France have a number of talented players again (Demba Bamba and Ntamack were brilliant at youth level) but we'll have to see how that translates to actual performance. 

I'm pretty sure Eddie managed to pick the worst 23 he possibly could out of the 25 man squad.

• Our best lock will be watching from the sofa
  • Our best FH sits on the bench
  • Our best IC starts at FH
  • Our best OC starts at IC - where he's never shown anything in previous attempts
  • Our 3rd/4th best OC starts at FB, despite not showing anything there for 5 years and form that means he probably shouldn't have been in the wider squad, let alone the starting XV.
  • An argument to be made that ou rbench front row is actually better than the starters.

On the plus side, we've actually selected a good balanced backrow - probably the best we've fielded in 15 years.

• Our 5th choice OC starts, having never looked remotely comfortable at international level

48 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I'm pretty sure Eddie managed to pick the worst 23 he possibly could out of the 25 man squad.

• Our best lock will be watching from the sofa
  • Our best FH sits on the bench
  • Our best IC starts at FH
  • Our best OC starts at IC - where he's never shown anything in previous attempts
  • Our 3rd/4th best OC starts at FB, despite not showing anything there for 5 years and form that means he probably shouldn't have been in the wider squad, let alone the starting XV.
  • An argument to be made that ou rbench front row is actually better than the starters.

On the plus side, we've actually selected a good balanced backrow - probably the best we've fielded in 15 years.

• Our 5th choice OC starts, having never looked remotely comfortable at international level

Nah, I pretty much disagree with all of those.

Launchbury's a quality player; we'd get murdered at the lineout by Ireland if he started. Er, wait he's on the bench. Who do you think's our best lock? ETA: No he isn't. I must have misread the team.

A Ford/Farrell combination in midfield just gives up too many yards in defence. It's reliant on the pack dominating and that isn't going to happen. Manu's done pretty well for Leicester but he was always on the verge of not being fast enough to play 13 at international level, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he isn't fast enough anymore and Dublin isn't the place to do that. I think he needs to convert to 12 to have a future. 

Brown seems to have gotten better the more he hasn't played international rugby. He'd probably be more likely to put in a solid performance than Daly but he's not going to break a game open anymore. If we're going to win against the odds in Dublin gambling on (admittedly out of form in Daly's case) strike runners in the back 3 isn't unreasonable.

Slade, to fair, has never really put in a great performance at international level. I'm also firmly of the opinion he's the most talented back we've got in English rugby and if we're going to have a hope of winning the World Cup we need players of his potential class to come through. There's absolutely an argument picking him isn't the best thing to do to win in Ireland but I think it's also a risk with taking with Japan in mind.

This year the Six Nations is being broadcast in the US on NBCSN, so finally available for viewing outside of expensive extra channels.  I'm watching France vs. Wales right now in the background as I'm working from home.  Very tidy performance by the French so far.

Now that I can finally watch it, I hope Ireland can maintain their recent dominance over England tomorrow.

Well that was something.

France played really well in the first half and, given the conditions, there was some excellent rugby from them at times. Then they did a France and contrived to shoot themselves in the foot in spectacular fashion in the second half. Why the hell is a second row trying to throw a double miss pass in midfield off slow ball when they're in front? Mental.

England Under 20s with what on paper looked a very strong squad also managed to lose to Ireland. That was my best hope for the weekend. 

The Welsh played better in the second half but the French errors conceded the game.  Two tries conceded directly from sloppy handling and then a suicide pass.  Then numerous knock-ons stopped promising attacking momentum, and several missed kicks throughout the game.  The Welsh did defend resolutely to be fair, and took the initiative early in the second half when they had to.  But really they just waited for the French errors to arrive.

A swing from 16-0 to 19-24 tells of a game of two halves. 

Gatland already predicted that a victory in Paris would set up Wales for a grand slam. I’m not sure I saw enough today for either England (stronger selection this year) or Ireland to be underdogs in Cardiff.  But it’s very early yet. 

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Gatland already predicted that a victory in Paris would set up Wales for a grand slam. I’m not sure I saw enough today for either England (stronger selection this year) or Ireland to be underdogs in Cardiff.

I gather (I haven't watched Rugby as much as I want to in recent years so I can't say myself but my brother does so I get the scuttlebut) that Wales are normally much better than this but if they play like that against England or Ireland they're going to get basooned. Like, the weather didn't help but there were so many errors, even in the second half.

Wahay, I wasn't expecting that.

Really good performance from England. They had a real physical edge and the backrow competed well at the breakdown, which has been a problem against Ireland in the past. They came out on top in the kicking game too, especially in the first half, which was a bit of a turn up for the books. I wouldn't have thought of Earls being a weakness on that front but he was targeted pretty relentlessly until Schmidt took him off at half time.

Ireland well outplayed by England there.  Unfortunately the TV broadcast of the game here is deferred by a couple of hours and I could not resist checking on live progress.

The Six Nations is such a competitive competition most years, despite large disparity in population and variable form of clubs. 

I am delighted to have been wrong.

I stand by my criticisms, but those players really shows them down my throat today.

Easily Farrell's best game of rugby that I've seen, in any shirt. That pass for May's try was a thing of beauty, and he played with control and discipline, whilst he treated the red with respect. Keep all of that up and I will quickly become a fan.

First time Manu has looked comfortable in the 12 shirt - not that there was any doubt what he could bring nid jw kept his head - which he did with aplomb.

First time Slade has looked even competent at international level. Didn't do better than that 'competent' yet he scored a brace, and we all know he has the tablet. Hopefully this will be the making of him as an international player.

Daly still looked out of position, and will be grateful that Ireland decided that our only truly World Class player would be our weak link in the back 3. But this was again, the most comfortable he's been at the back since he switched to OC a few years ago. Was still the wrong choice given Brown's form, but a huge step up on his 2018 form.

Curry - what a difference an OSF makes, and Wilson continues to impress, playing the role of 2012 era Robshaw, with a little extra in the carry.

Kruis cancelled out Toner, but would still be my 4th choice of 4 excellent options; whilst Hughes rose to the heights of anonymous at lock - which probably makes I his best showing for a couple of years

If anyone really wants to geek-out, an online-friend has done a minute-by-minute breakdown of the match: http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3213&sid=9c21eb29da4a4d18b3ef012b0d6b0abf

Another one has done an (anglocentric) analysis of every ruck: http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3219&sid=9c21eb29da4a4d18b3ef012b0d6b0abf

Archived