Rugby: Building up to Japan

ljkeane

You can say that, but the only player he's ever dropped a fit Joseph for is Ben Te'o - and that only against Italy. Otherwise, Slade has only had that shirt whilst Joseph has been injured, or only just back from a long-term injury.

I know my opinion that Eddie prefers JJ is an unpopular one, but it is backed by the evidence available.

Beyond that, we're just round in circles, we already know each others reasoning and really should be happy enough to agree to disagree. Especially as Eddie has the only opinion that matters, and has already told everyone what that opinion is.

Umm, well, I'll take the win over Ireland, obviously; I'm not convinced it's healthy just before a big tourney though; don't want to risk slipping from confidence to cockiness. I guess we've got enough time (and 3 easier tests for reality to dawn) to overcome that risk.

Biggest things though, hope Mako, Cian and Connor are all okay (and why was Connor allowed to return in the first place?)

A bit of a disaster for Ireland. Ok, it's only a warm up but that was a strong Ireland side and to lose that comprehensively on the back of a poor Six Nations is a big worry for them this close to the World Cup. Getting steamrolled by England's power game two times in a row is particularly concerning I'd say, if England can do it South Africa probably can too. After such a good 2018 it's a bit of a demoralising note to go into the World Cup on.

New Zealand have announced their World Cup squad. I'd probably have taken Laumape but by far the biggest surprise is Owen Franks missing out. With Retallick going to be a big question mark despite being in the squad the All Blacks could be left with a surprisingly inexperienced looking tight five for the World Cup. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/salary-cap-row-is-one-battle-the-invincible-saracens-cannot-win-dcsbdmg5n
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7420353/Saracens-salary-cap-storm-transferred-independent-panel-Premiership-Rugby-escalate-case.html

TL;DR: investigation has been referred to the independent body Sport Resolutions. Apparently this can only happen "where the salary cap manager is of the 'reasonable opinion' that there has been a breach of £350,000 or more or the club is deemed to have failed to cooperate." or "where there is an overrun of under £350,000 but the club opts to have the matter dealt with by a panel and where there is a dispute over the regulations themselves."

Result vs Tonga was not pretty for Tonga and not much of a warm up or indicator it AB readiness for the RWC. I guess at least it means the ABs aren't so underdone that they struggle to beat Tonga.

I heard a report that European clubs are threatening to dock the pay, or refusing to release Pacific Island players for them to play for their national team. Seems pretty shit, particularly since a lot of Pacific players will be really income sensitive being thatr their income might be economically supporting a large extended family. I would have assumed the clubs will be releasing the players for RWC duties, though I wonder how safe an assumption that is.

Kind of makes policies like the NZRU that players who want to be considered for the ABs need to be playing in NZ domestic competitions look very sensible, not only because it keeps talent here, but also makes sure the top talent is always available for national duties when called upon. Bugger being beholden to the good will of Euro clubs. Unfortunate that the PI players don't have a strong enough domestic competition too be able to afford to stay under the umbrella of their home unions.

So only a couple of days to go to the start of the World Cup then and I have to say I'm looking forward to it more than I have looked forward to a World Cup since 2003.

It looks like it could be the most open World Cup since at least 1999. New Zealand are rightly favourites but they aren't the side they were last time and are probably on their worst run of form in 10 years. South Africa look strong, Wales have had a great run of form for the last year or so, Ireland haven't been great recently but they were excellent the year before and England are very dangerous if they hit their stride. I genuinely wouldn't be massively surprised if any of those teams win.

Australia, Argentina, France and Scotland would be more of a surprise but they're all capable of pulling off a shock win in a one off game. I'm not sure if Japan are but it'd be great if they did again.

Anyway it should be good. I'm kind of regretting not sorting out a trip out to Japan.

For me it's New Zealand, South Africa or England.  Australia and Wales as the dark horses but doubtful.

Ireland not in good form, have never made it past the quarters and don't perform at WCs. France and Argentina look their worst in a long time.

Just realised I won't be able to watch the vast majority of the tournament and not just because of the time difference. The Irish broadcaster (eir) is a pay channel unavailable on my tv package and it seems BBC no longer have the rights. Bummer.

Looking forward to All Blacks vs Springboks tomorrow night, first match between major contenders. It's early in the tournament so shouldn't really have an impact on who eventually lifts the trophy, but it'll give a good indication of where the teams are at.

13 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Looking forward to All Blacks vs Springboks tomorrow night, first match between major contenders. It's early in the tournament so shouldn't really have an impact on who eventually lifts the trophy, but it'll give a good indication of where the teams are at.

I think the winner of pool B is probably going to have a significantly easier route to the final than the runner up so it’s still a big game. 

Try ruled out for Japan.

They’re really trying to play up tempo to tire out the Russians (and because they always play like that) but they’re making a lot of errors. 

France V Argentina tomorrow morning is my pick of the round.

Essentially the first knock-out match, between 2 very closely matched teams

Russia are still in this, Japan still look a little dazzled by the pressure - but their sheer fitness has to show soon

Archived