Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

I didn’t want to start a whole new thread but the other one was closed and this one particular small thing is bothering me.  Feel free to contribute other small things as appropriate.

Anyway, when you hang a horseshoe should it go ends up or ends down?  There’s a couple schools of thought on this, apparently.  One is that with ends up you catch all the good luck and that’s how it should go, while the other is that ends down spreads all the good luck throughout the area so that is how it should go - with the opposite in both cases obviously being BAD luck.  

I’m about to move to a different house so I’ve been giving my possessions a somewhat more critical eye than usual.  Currently the horseshoe is ends down.  I need to know if I have to change this for the new place and flip it around.  I personally think they look better with the ends up, as with the Indianapolis Colts logo for example, but my luck hasn’t been particularly bad lately with my ends down shoe. 

So the question is if my luck would actually be better if I flipped it.  Maybe having it ends down has been holding me back from really great luck instead of just standard luck.  Or maybe ...having it ends down is the only thing preventing disaster in the few years since I found it and flipping it to have the ends up would assure destruction and doom.  

Put the ends up, that's the proper way to display a horseshoe.   Who sez so?  Me, who has two horseshoes in the room and both are ends up.

edt'; boy was I wrong, I have three shoes; one is ends up, one is flat on the table and is what is called an eggbar shoe, which is an oval shaped closed shoe (no ends).  So I guess I have all the good luck aspects covered.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Keep it ends down so you don't need to install a second nail or hanger just out of superstition.

What's that line about appreciating your bad luck because you don't know what worse luck it's saved you from?

That’s what I’m leaning towards, it’s ends down now - why tempt fate?

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

edt'; boy was I wrong, I have three shoes; one is ends up, one is flat on the table and is what is called an eggbar shoe, which is an oval shaped closed shoe (no ends).  So I guess I have all the good luck aspects covered.

Or you’ve created a system where the good and bad luck cancel each other out.  Not a bad strategy.

I read on the internet* that originally horse shoes were hung open end down because the inverted U shape was similar to the symbols for some goddesses at the time.  But that since those symbols were used for goddesses because of their yonic appearances “The Church” made up the whole rational for open end up so as to be less “dirty”.    

So, the question for OP is, do you like looking at vaginas, or no?

*so… ya know.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Er...that’s why I opened the Just like his hands thread, more small things to talk about!

Maybe so, but is that thread discussing why horse shoes look like vaginas?    :blushing:    Didn't think so.     :P

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

a stand up comedian came into work today and ...bought one of his own dvds lol???

Poor guy probably forgot the punchine to one  of his jokes . 

8 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Are you sure it wasn't his evil doppelgänger? :p 

No it really was him!!! Lol.

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

Poor guy probably forgot the punchine to one  of his jokes . 

Or maybe he was trying to get new material and I didn’t even mention it lol 

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

That is weird. I suppose he could be buying it for someone else as a gift.

My hobby is photography and on occasion I do manage to create a really nice print. I usuall give them them away to someone who would  appreciate the subject. Selling it and then buying a copy to give as a present sounds a bit strange. 

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

A guy in Paris scaled the outside of a building to save a child hanging off what looks like a 4th floor balcony. Very cool.

That was insane. I was horrified when I found out that the child's parents weren't home.

Apparently after the heroic fellow brought the child inside, he fell to the ground shaking. He'd been terrified the entire time!

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, dbunting said:

I had always heard open end up so your luck doesn't "run out" the bottom. When we moved in a friend gave us one and told us this.

This has always been my understanding (although I really don't remember where it came from).  I've always thought one should hang the horseshoe above the door (or wherever) with the open side up to "catch" the luck or, as you say, not let the luck fall out:dunno:

Archived