Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

• 1 month later...

The best thing that happened this year for me was being the interpreter and tour guide for a group of visiting French university/college students of which all but 2 were girls. They were studying political science and were really interested in all my political talk. I was so happy having several beautiful women having their undivided attention and listening to everything I said.

Best work assignment ever and the closest thing I've ever had to having a career.

Got involved with a startup business a couple weeks ago where I'm developing a web platform for them to do their data entry and integrate it with some other open apis.  Not getting paid until they can start selling and use it, but that should be by the end of the year at which point I will get a 10% cut.  Risk for me is just time and effort, but even if nothing comes from it I should have a good experience and a good resume booster.  If things do pan out, I could be looking at a side income that dwarfs my 'real job'.

We accidently stole a cat and I need some advice.

Christmas Doggy (this is what happens when you ask a 3 year old what they think she's called) started coming in a few months ago, at first just for food, but now she sleeps in my husband's office all day.

She has a collar, so clearly she's someone's, but she seems to prefer our house.  Goodness knows why.  It's a tip, we have a crazy toddler, and a cat 3 times her size.  Yes, they get the good food, but she really seems to like hanging out here.

Now it's come to the point where she needs a new collar, but I'm reluctant to put it on as I feel guilty about our accidental theft.  Do you think I should try and get a message back to the owners if she goes back there?  I hate to think of them missing her, as I wouldn't like it if ours went wondering.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't figure out the name of a certain type of puzzle.  It's a group of several various geometric shapes.  Usually, together, the shapes make a square, but they can be rearranged to form different animal-like shapes.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

5 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I can't figure out the name of a certain type of puzzle.  It's a group of several various geometric shapes.  Usually, together, the shapes make a square, but they can be rearranged to form different animal-like shapes.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Tangram

On 11/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, Neddy's Girl said:

Christmas Doggy (this is what happens when you ask a 3 year old what they think she's called) started coming in a few months ago, at first just for food, but now she sleeps in my husband's office all day.

She has a collar, so clearly she's someone's, but she seems to prefer our house.  Goodness knows why.  It's a tip, we have a crazy toddler, and a cat 3 times her size.  Yes, they get the good food, but she really seems to like hanging out here.

Now it's come to the point where she needs a new collar, but I'm reluctant to put it on as I feel guilty about our accidental theft.  Do you think I should try and get a message back to the owners if she goes back there?  I hate to think of them missing her, as I wouldn't like it if ours went wondering.

Attach a note to the collar? Or get a new collar and leave the old one on so the other owners know they have a competitor!

On 11/28/2018 at 6:35 PM, Neddy's Girl said:

Concur with undefoot re: old school message in a bottle on the collar style communications with other cat people.  If that fails, you can go with a more modern approach as far as tech goes:

Spam the shit out of social media, follow local and a control / shelters / pet groups, and post some cat pics.  Action shots of the cat 'working' in the office are probably a great thing to include.

I was walking home the other day and decided that I wanted wine and was quite pleased with this - like, yeah, I'm just going to get a bottle of wine, and then have a glass alone at home while, oh, reading a philosophy book or something, like all sophisticated and grown up. Then this little mental space of self assurance was completely blown when I realized I hadn't the foggiest clue what difference between a pinot grigio and cabernet sauvignon was, much less which one I preferred. Then I realized that the only reason I was having this problem was because Trader Joe's, damn them, had more than one white for 2.99 USD, completely stumping my one alcohol selection strategy. Anyway the point of this is that I really enjoy Trader Joe's and its like my favourite thing in America, though I never have a clue what to get and end up wandering out with nothing half the time though I enjoy visiting whenever I walk past anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I was walking home the other day and decided that I wanted wine and was quite pleased with this - like, yeah, I'm just going to get a bottle of wine, and then have a glass alone at home while, oh, reading a philosophy book or something, like all sophisticated and grown up. Then this little mental space of self assurance was completely blown when I realized I hadn't the foggiest clue what difference between a pinot grigio and cabernet sauvignon was, much less which one I preferred. Then I realized that the only reason I was having this problem was because Trader Joe's, damn them, had more than one white for 2.99 USD, completely stumping my one alcohol selection strategy. Anyway the point of this is that I really enjoy Trader Joe's and its like my favourite thing in America, though I never have a clue what to get and end up wandering out with nothing half the time though I enjoy visiting whenever I walk past anyway. 

Isn’t Cabernet Sauvignon red?

• 2 weeks later...

As the holidays approach, thinking about visiting my parents which is a biannual event.  You know what they need to invent?  Something that when you're watching a movie/show with your parents there's some distraction when there's any nudity or sexual situation when you're with your parents.  No matter how old I get, that's still totally uncomfortable.  Hell, the older I get it's probably gonna get more uncomfortable.  I feel like this is an entirely open market waiting to be exploited.

19 hours ago, DMC said:

As the holidays approach, thinking about visiting my parents which is a biannual event.  You know what they need to invent?  Something that when you're watching a movie/show with your parents there's some distraction when there's any nudity or sexual situation when you're with your parents.  No matter how old I get, that's still totally uncomfortable.  Hell, the older I get it's probably gonna get more uncomfortable.  I feel like this is an entirely open market waiting to be exploited.

It's called marijuana.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

This begs a mandatory follow up question, which movies have you already seen with them?

Archived