Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

This is my favorite headline of the year so far.

Woman drinking wine from Pringles can banned from Walmart

January 15, 2019

WICHITA FALLS, Texas (AP) — Police in northern Texas say a woman has been banned from a local Walmart after she spent several hours driving an electric shopping cart around the store’s parking lot while drinking wine from a Pringles can.

Police tell the Times Record News that officers responded to a report of a suspicious person around 9 a.m. Friday at a Walmart in Wichita Falls. The city is about 125 miles (200 kilometers) northwest of Dallas, near the Oklahoma border.

Wichita Falls police spokesman Jeff Hughes says the woman had reportedly been riding the electric cart around the parking lot for about three hours.

Hughes says police eventually found the woman in a nearby restaurant and told her not to return to the store.

Police say the woman wasn’t arrested and her name was not released.

Since weve been talking driving tests recently. Prince Philip has crashed. 97 year old men should not be driving cars. If he had died it might have given us all a break from the brexit fiasco. Sounds like he was entirely to blame. 

19 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Since weve been talking driving tests recently. Prince Philip has crashed. 97 year old men should not be driving cars. If he had died it might have given us all a break from the brexit fiasco. Sounds like he was entirely to blame. 

With all the health issues he has supposedly been having, there is no way he should be behind a wheel. I'm sure there is a ton of research that suggests that elderly peoples reactions and vision are simply not up the task of driving as well.

Two goodies:

Man wins $1 scratch ticket, drives to lottery office to demand a novelty check and gets it:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4859133/1-on-lotto-novelty-cheque/

Toto’s song “Africa” will play for an eternity in the Namib desert:  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/toto-africa-desert-installation-play-for-all-eternity

23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My Nan told me about this yesterday - he’s much too old to be driving around like that now surely. I don’t want to be “ageist” by saying that but at that point in your life get everyone else to drive you around :lol: especially if you’re a Royal 

On 1/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, BigFatCoward said:

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

My Nan told me about this yesterday - he’s much too old to be driving around like that now surely. I don’t want to be “ageist” by saying that but at that point in your life get everyone else to drive you around :lol: especially if you’re a Royal 

I think ater you turn 70 or some other appropriate # you need to successfully drive an electric cart through a course while drinking wine from a Pringles can to be allowed to keep your license.  They can call it the Gene Wolfe Senior Slalom or something.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I take Uber somewhat regularly.  Usually if just going over to or back from a friends.  At any rate, I notice something that I find kind of alarming but kind of fascinating.  

It takes me a few seconds after I close the door to put my seat belt on.  Not 30 seconds, but like 5-10 seconds.  100% of the time, the Uber driver starts accelerating before I've buckled my seatbelt.  Not most of the time.  100% of the time.  Given how much emphasis on seat belts there is, is this not indicative of something?  Is their pressure to do their trip quickly and on to the next one so great that it crushes safety?  Did legal not tell them that they really can't afford headlines with dead passengers who didn't have time to put their seat belts on?  

Ha, Uber giving a shit about it’s employees and whether they may be sued, good one :laugh: 

Bit more substantive response. In answer to your first question, yes, I i,Aline there is a great deal of pressure to get the trip done quickly. It’s what differentiates them from local taxi firms over here, where the driver is more likely to assist with things like loading bags/shopping into the boot, assisting elderly to and from the car etc. Uber riders have targets and expectations to meet and can’t afford this luxury.

In terms of legal, until recently in the U.K. Uber drivers were categorised as self-employed contractors so Uber would escape liability there. And there has been sufficiently bad press that I imagine “Uber driver drives off while passenger is seatbelt less” is small potatoes to them. 

Plus, I can hear their spokesperson already. “Uber is committed to the safety of its customers and prides itself on the highest standards of safety training for Uber drivers. The reckless driving of this/there persons is not condoned by Uber and we will be taking full disciplinary action on the individuals concerned.”

Because yet another poster created a thread in the wrong part of the forum, it made me think of how certain people are unable to peruse over what I think it's a pretty well organized forum and figure out where to post. This brought a memory of a funny night I experienced in college:

I had a part-time job working as a night desk clerk in a dorm - basically, make sure people coming in were residents of said dorm, and that guests were signed in.

So on this particular night, which was a weekend, and it was winter, I was working with another guy, and our desk was basically a long table set near the entrance, which was a double-door style. Every time the door closest to us was opened, a really cold draft would hit us, which quickly became annoying. On a weekend night, the door was opened a lot, between all the fidgety smokers, the drunk students, and other people. However, if the door that was a bit further was opened, the draft would go away from our desk, so we decided to do something about it.

We started with a sign, legibly typed in large font caps, saying "please use other door" with an arrow pointed to it. About 80% of the students failed to see the sign, about 15% blatantly ignored the sign, and only the rest actually followed the instructions. Then we moved one of the big arm chairs in the lobby directly at the door. I think, at least half the people who failed to see the sign, walked into the chair. :bang: Therefore, we also took a small rest stand and placed it on the chair, to raise the obstruction to most people's eye level. That reduced the number of people walking into the chair, but there were still plenty of them who would face a moment of confusion once they opened the door, followed by a decision to force their way past the obstruction, rather than use the door directly to their left. Humans! :rolleyes:

SAying goodbye to my beloved dog Jake tomorrow he had his 16th birthday 2 days ago but he has deteriorated in such a way that he can no longer go on and am heartbroken - have grown up with him. I remember coming out of school when I was 9 years old and first seeing his awkward beautiful border collie puppy with big feet and a big head ...gorgeous boy. 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

SAying goodbye to my beloved dog Jake tomorrow he had his 16th birthday 2 days ago but he has deteriorated in such a way that he can no longer go on and am heartbroken - have grown up with him. I remember coming out of school when I was 9 years old and first seeing his awkward beautiful border collie puppy with big feet and a big head ...gorgeous boy. 

Theda I am so sorry to hear this. :grouphug:

I still miss my Airedale. 

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

that really really sucks. :( you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm sorry for your loss. You have my condolences.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. 

I feel your pain and know where you are.

:grouphug: 

My daughter's cat was almost killed by a mouse. A computer mouse. It got knocked off the table and wrapped around the cat's neck and the more she pulled the tighter it got. My wife finally got her freed. The cat is doing well. 

Archived