Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

After five years of complaints (this isn’t an exaggeration, if anything it’s an under estimate, the complaints certainly stem from before I went to uni) we finally have a new boiler fitted that actually works! It’s so weird being able to come home and not worry that you will be sat in the cold all night, or to turn on the tap wondering if you can get a hot wash this evening. 

• 1 month later...

Working at a residential home today. I think one of the residents bought an Imagine Dragons CD? Or downloaded some of their songs?

Whatever it is, all I know is that I've been listening to the same Imagine Dragons songs on repeat for five hours now...

20 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

Working at a residential home today. I think one of the residents bought an Imagine Dragons CD? Or downloaded some of their songs?

Whatever it is, all I know is that I've been listening to the same Imagine Dragons songs on repeat for five hours now...

I really like ID.... but that would drive me bonkers

On 3/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, aceluby said:

I really like ID.... but that would drive me bonkers

Yes, there were moments where I thought, "I don't want to hear ID ever again!" Thankfully, a roommate eventually played a movie loudly, and it drowned out ID most of the time, heh :P

Lewis Black is my favorite comedian and his description of USA's two party political system (It's "a bowl of shit looking in the mirror at itself.") perfectly encapsulated my attitude toward Congress.  As such, the quote has been part of my signature ever since I created one.  Yet, in the era of Orange45, the statement is no longer accurate.  In its place, I have added a passage that has stuck with me ever since I read it about 4 years ago .

On 3/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Triskele said:

Remarkable that you lived to report this with your sanity intact.  This sounds like something they'd have done as enhanced interrogation during the Bush years.

Haha, I think the loud movie played about halfway in by the person's roommate was my saving grace. It drowned out parts of the songs, which was a huge help.

I thought there actually was some American war prison that was busted for playing its prisoners the I Love You song from Barney day and night (among other torment) during those years...

Actually not exactly a "small" thing but just wanted to express my awe at the first ever image of a black hole being released today by a group of observatories that say they used some of Einstein's theories to accomplish the feat. All of humanity is further enriched today imo.

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Actually not exactly a "small" thing but just wanted to express my awe at the first ever image of a black hole being released today by a group of observatories that say they used some of Einstein's theories to accomplish the feat. All of humanity is further enriched today imo.

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

I occasionally paraphrase Newton. 'If I have seen further than others it is by kicking the small minds into a pile and standing on them.' 

I think the reality is really a simulation hypothesis is a bunch of bullocks because who would really simulate a reality so banal?  But there was an article I read today about it and they postulated that the whole point of a simulation might be to see if we could deal with climate change.  What the suffering fuck?  I get that there's a narrative to support but if we're really all 1s and 0s in a simulated reality why the hell does it matter if the programmed parameters are going to lead to runaway global warming?

While walking my dog at lunch I happened upon an unusual set of items. On the sidewalk of an upscale neighborhood I found a pair of broken Gucci glasses, then about ten feet further I found a 5 inch heel stuck in the mud. About 20 feet further down the sidewalk was a torn up jockstrap and the last thing I found was a broken roll of dimes.

The hell went down before I got there?

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

While walking my dog at lunch I happened upon an unusual set of items. On the sidewalk of an upscale neighborhood I found a pair of broken Gucci glasses, then about ten feet further I found a 5 inch heel stuck in the mud. About 20 feet further down the sidewalk was a torn up jockstrap and the last thing I found was a broken roll of dimes.

The hell went down before I got there?

You were so close to finding a black Amex card, a box full of 3D printer code on USB sticks, and a flux capacitor.  But you're a quitter.

A client went berserk at work today. I told him his bag had a hole in it (it was big and looked like some of his stuff was falling out). His eyes got a little bloodshot and intense. He said "like 15 other people" told him that. I said I didn't know that and apologized. He said some angry things, don't remember what. Myself and another staff calmly said I was trying to help. He soon loudly said we were pains in his butt. I think we said again that I was trying to help. He said we were pains in his ass. We looked at our computers to work and try to ignore him. He soon shouted we were pains in his asshole, "especially you, Lizard Queen!"

He was very obviously pissed off. Myself and the other staff were surely hoping he'd calm down as we tried to ignore him, but he didn't. He continued yelling about how staff persons were pains in his ass over and over, and he said "I'll get a new fucking bag if it'll make you happy, LQ!" It was definitely intimidating, especially since he was sitting next to the cubicle entry, which was the only way out of the cubicle area. He also said "you staff are fucked in the head, I swear to God!" (Yeah, he says WE are the ones fucked in the head, as he goes ballistic over someone telling him his bag has a hole in it...)

A coworker showed up after a few minutes of him screaming and tried to talk to him. He shouted more about how we were pains in the ass, and I think he told the coworker to fuck off. The coworker left, and another coworker and someone who works for a different service on our team showed up soon after. He shouted at both of them. The other coworker took him into a meeting room to talk in private. He called her a bitch and screamed at her. When he returned, two other clients told him to knock it off, basically. I was later told the angry client got in one of the other client's face while he threatened violence. I believe the angry client called the other client some name that involved colors (not racially), or threatened him in a way that involved turning him different colors. The threatened client was saying things like "okay, white boy" and didn't seem to be taking the angry client seriously. My coworker was trying to get these two other clients to go somewhere else. They eventually did.

Once the cops showed up and got inside, he of course stopped shouting and honestly became calm, even cheery. After he spoke with the police, he smiled, shook their hands, and said he was sorry they had to come out for him. 

I stood in the cubicle area until the police showed up. The client stood around the cubicle entry for nearly the whole episode. I was honestly afraid to walk out. He was especially mad at me, at least earlier on. My coworkers who talked to him in his state were brave. I don't know if it was cowardice, but as I said, I stood in the cubicle and didn't say a word to him for pretty much the whole time. 

This was a little long-winded -- I have to write a report about the incident tomorrow and thought this post could be used for some reference, heh.

Archived