Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Not really.  I go on camping/hiking/backpacking trips a lot but I don't eat out very often, almost never.  I cook pretty much everyday.  I can see where a microwave would save time though, especially if you're reheating a whole chicken breast (although I can't imagine the texture would be very appetizing).

If I have a roast or chicken to reheat I'm usually slicing off small pieces for a sandwich, fried rice, tacos, curry, stir fry, or ramen, I'd rarely be reheating an entire chunk of meat, especially something lean like a chicken breast.l

That sounds awful. I typically have two chicken breasts for dinner over three nights (via fajitas), and cutting them up and reheating them is delicious.

I bought a new TV!  Haven't done that in almost exactly 5 years, and holy shit have TV prices gone down.  Live with my brother, and his TV crapped out a few weeks ago so he kind of immediately needed a new one.  When I saw he was able to get a 43" LG for >$300 dollars, I was like, shit, might as well get one myself.  So I got a 50 incher LG for $300 sticker (330 with tax), which I'm pretty sure is exactly half I paid for the 43" Vizio I bought 5 years ago that was in the living room and now is in my bedroom.  Quite the change in the market, had no idea.

None of our stands could fit the 50", so I also had to get a TV stand.  Figured the way it's going, might as well get a very long stand.  Found a 70" one for a hundred bucks at IKEA.  My brother put it together yesterday.  Offered him help but he's loved putting things together like that since he got into Legos at, like, the age of 6.  Also got a chair for my bedroom because until now I've always had just an old-school TV in there, so the 43 incher is much bigger than what's been in my bedroom, but the room has the..room. 

In fact, now one of my walls is lined by, to start, a couple feet of a small table that holds a lamp (that's a secondary one I only use when I'm writing and pulling an all-nighter), my printer, my grav bong, and where I put the laptop.  Then the laptop's hooked up to a nice monitor on the desk next to that, which is probably around 35-40 inches.  Then now the 43 inch Vizio.  One good thing about my brother's obsessive gaming is we have a ton of consoles.  So I got a PS3 that is currently playing LOST on Hulu next to me (he put his old X-Box 360 in the living room - we also have a N64 in there - as he prefers the PS4 currently in his room).  Then next to that, I still have the old school TV with an original X-Box because I like playing EA's MLB game from..2005 I think.  The draft started tonight, and I'll usually create new "prospect" teams every year around this time.  I prefer to play the game while also watching something, so figured might as well still make use of the old TV.  Anyway, point is I really like the set up in my room even though it looks kinda ridiculous with a series of three screens on one side. 

I got some new flavors of toaster pastries.  Nature's Path brand so not actually Pop-Tarts.  I got Razzi Raspberry, Cherry Pomegranate and Wildberry Acai.  They are all good.

Also a centipede is in my apartment.

Can someone explain what a pop tart actually is? We can buy them over here (very easily in fact, all supermarkets stock them these days) but i dont really get what they are is it just like a jam pasty?*

*note, not something i have ever actually made, just seems the best descriptor from my impressions

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Can someone explain what a pop tart actually is? We can buy them over here (very easily in fact, all supermarkets stock them these days) but i dont really get what they are is it just like a jam pasty?*

*note, not something i have ever actually made, just seems the best descriptor from my impressions

think of them as badly made apple (other fillings available) pie you re-heat in the toaster.

Today was my last day at my job. 

Also, there was a bat in my apartment. I was sitting in my kitchen around 10p, derping around on my phone, when suddenly a damned but just flew in. I didn't know what it was at first -- a bird? A bat? I quickly determined it was a bat after seconds of observation. Shut myself in the bathroom to call my land lady while my cat chased the bat. I didn't think he'd actually get the bat, but I found the bat unresponsive on the floor while my cat sniffed him. I wound up wrapping the bat in a blanket and throwing him outside.

8 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

Also, there was a bat in my apartment. I was sitting in my kitchen around 10p, derping around on my phone, when suddenly a damned but just flew in. I didn't know what it was at first -- a bird? A bat? I quickly determined it was a bat after seconds of observation. Shut myself in the bathroom to call my land lady while my cat chased the bat. I didn't think he'd actually get the bat, but I found the bat unresponsive on the floor while my cat sniffed him. I wound up wrapping the bat in a blanket and throwing him outside.

Heh

On 6/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Hmmm. Hard pass, sounds gross

The cinnamon toaster strudel is actually pretty good, but otherwise most of them are trash. Granted, I haven’t had any of them in over a decade. My breakfasts are either a protein smoothie or a protein shake and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

10 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

Next time just grab a broom and swat it out of the air.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Next time just grab a broom and swat it out of the air.

It was all over in maybe 3 minutes. I guess my cat killed it.

Helena, thanks for the video! I liked how the dog peed in the middle of things.

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The cinnamon toaster strudel is actually pretty good, but otherwise most of them are trash. Granted, I haven’t had any of them in over a decade. My breakfasts are either a protein smoothie or a protein shake and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

I maintain my previous comment - sounds gross, hard pass :P 

49 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I maintain my previous comment - sounds gross, hard pass :P 

It tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup and has over 40 grams of protein. What’s not to love? Plus I get a serving of veggies and fruit before 7 a.m.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It tastes like a Reese's peanut butter cup and has over 40 grams of protein. What’s not to love? Plus I get a serving of veggies and fruit before 7 a.m.

I think i will stick to my coffee and portion of self-loathing thanks

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think i will stick to my coffee and portion of self-loathing thanks

I’ve always found it interesting how different cultures do breakfast since living in Argentina. My host family thought it was crazy that I ate in the morning.

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Your cat's rabies vaccination up to date, just in case?

Bats can be jerks that way.

Yes, he actually had a 3 year long vaccine this November :). A vet I took him to reassured me that there's practically no chance of him getting rabies with up-to-date vaccines. 

Yeah, I'm still not sure how the little bat bugger even got in here... sounds like they wedge through very small spaces.

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve always found it interesting how different cultures do breakfast since living in Argentina. My host family thought it was crazy that I ate in the morning.

A protein smoothie is something you drink, not something you eat. :P

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

A protein smoothie is something you drink, not something you eat. :P

Bah, I couldn’t find a protein shake down there to save my life. It’s a bit of a culture shock going from a developed country to living in a developing one. For example, they thought I was crazy for wanting to go jogging in the mornings. And frankly it wasn’t even doable, so I just played soccer with kids at local parks. It was pretty much like how the U.S. treated Thailand…..

Archived