Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

I frankly loathe and despise how the government has been inserting itself into the doctor/patient relationship.  The overreaction to the opioid crisis, to be specific.  All the primary care docs have shipped their patients over to "pain clinics" which are essentially an assembly line of nerve block injections which, in my experience and my husband's, have done little to nothing for chronic pain.

They seem to be very happy to overprescribe Gabapentin, Baclofen, and other drugs, but woe betide you if you need anything that actually helps.  You're immediately labeled, essentially, an addict.  Never mind that you've functioned quite well for 20+ years using, not abusing, pain meds when needed.  

Currently, I've resorted to blowing out my liver on Aleve (Naproxen.)   

This is sad, romantic, and honestly, kinda funny all at the same time:

Just minutes after fulfilling his wife’s final wish – scattering her ashes in Stone Lake – Ralph Seichi Miyata collapsed in the water and later died, joining her first into the lake and then into the afterlife.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/opinion/ct-ptb-davich-ralph-miyata-death-stone-lake-st-0617-story.html

Bought an AC for the dorm where I live, suddenly window mount AC's are banned, for some pant's on head reason floor AC's are fine. This is a rule that, as far as I can tell, is written down nowhere and people had had window AC's for years prior to this point with no issue. So I'm out $80 and have to deal with stupid temperature and humidity until I can decide whether I'm gonna plop down money I do not have on a floor AC.

In the late 1980s, an Inuit subsistence hunter named Jens Larsen killed a trio of very strange whales off the western coast of Greenland.

He and his fellow subsistence hunters would regularly catch two species: narwhals, whose males famously have long, helical tusks protruding from their snouts; and belugas, with their distinctive white skin. But Larsen’s new kills were neither. Their skin wasn’t white, nor mottled like a narwhal’s, but uniformly grey. The flippers were beluga-like, but the tails were narwhal-esque. In all his years of hunting, Larsen had never seen anything like them. He was so struck that he kept one of their skulls on the roof of his toolshed.

In 1990, it caught the attention of Mads Peter Heide-Jørgensen, a scientist who studies marine mammals. With Larsen’s permission, he took it to the Greenland Fisheries Research Institute in Copenhagen for study. And after comparing it to the skulls of known belugas and narwhals, he suggested that it might have been a hybrid between the two species—a narluga.

It was a reasonable idea. Belugas and narwhals are the same size, share the same Arctic waters, and are more closely related to each other than to any other species. Individuals from both species have been found swimming among each other’s pods. But no one had ever found a narluga before, and at the time, Heide-Jørgensen had no way of confirming his hypothesis.

That changed in the intervening decades, as researchers developed more and more powerful ways of yanking minuscule amounts of DNA from bones. These techniques have typically been used to study ancient creatures such as Neanderthals and mammoths. And now they have helped to prove that the narluga is indeed a narluga, supplying the first genetic evidence that such creatures even exist.

Narlugas Are Real
A very strange hybrid whale was the offspring of a narwhal mother and a beluga father.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/06/narluga-very-strange-hybrid-whale/592057/

I'm looking for a roommate for the upcoming lease term of my apartment. Someone I spoke to about the apartment today was pretty out there. She was like "you seem like an empath" and "I connect with people's souls". She was quite open and blunt, to an extent that I wondered if it was socially appropriate... She seemed like new age-y, abstract sort of person. I felt weird while I was talking to her lol.

well im a month into my second (and seasonal) job. only 3 months to go but they asked me to do some extra conservation work alongside my visitor services stuff so i'm gonna have paid conservation work on my CV after this summer which is fucking lusshhhhh. i'm really tired these days, working 6 day weeks, 2 jobs and a masters degree but i'm also probably a LOT healthier 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

well im a month into my second (and seasonal) job. only 3 months to go but they asked me to do some extra conservation work alongside my visitor services stuff so i'm gonna have paid conservation work on my CV after this summer which is fucking lusshhhhh. i'm really tired these days, working 6 day weeks, 2 jobs and a masters degree but i'm also probably a LOT healthier 

I am glad for you Theda.  Just remember to take some time for yourself. You are worth it. 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

This job looks fucking awesome by the way!   Very happy for you!

_-----_--------

Ok, gonna gripe a bit.  Was recently, due to the ephemeral nature of life, working out possible epitaphs and and tombstone designs for a recently departed friend, when I started wondering about what we leave behind.  This ended up in an internet hole scouring this board for my 'greatest hits', and I have to say, I kinda feel a little bit like whatever all-powerful algorithms are at work, here, they are working against me.  Pretty much all of my parody threads are eaten by the Boardobouros, yet their inspiration remains (comedy gets NO LOVE!)

For example, Ser Scot's "is monogamy a failure as an idea" remains well preserved and intact, while my "is monotony a failure as an idea?" thread has vanished into the aether.  Anecdotal, I know, but the overall ledger of threads follows this pattern of wiping my greatest works from the face of the Earth while crystallizing the mundane.  I suppose even that which is writ in stone goes all Ozymandias in the end.  Was just hoping they'd at least wait for me to be gone before they start knocking down statues and wiping threads.

Are insects capable of committing suicide?

Was sitting on the can 20 minutes ago, and this centipede runs into the bathroom.  Figured it was going to make a beeline for some crevice under my sink or something, but runs up to it, stops, then turns around.  That's when I killed it with some TP.  But it was just weird.  Lived in the same apartment for five years now.  Every summer I have to kill a lot of centipedes.  That's the first time it's been so easy.  It was like the bug equivalent of death-by-cop.  

So, are there any insect..ologists out there, whatever that is?  Please tell me I'm crazy for thinking that centipede wanted me to kill it.

19 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

This job looks fucking awesome by the way!   Very happy for you!

_-----_--------

Ok, gonna gripe a bit.  Was recently, due to the ephemeral nature of life, working out possible epitaphs and and tombstone designs for a recently departed friend, when I started wondering about what we leave behind.  This ended up in an internet hole scouring this board for my 'greatest hits', and I have to say, I kinda feel a little bit like whatever all-powerful algorithms are at work, here, they are working against me.  Pretty much all of my parody threads are eaten by the Boardobouros, yet their inspiration remains (comedy gets NO LOVE!)

For example, Ser Scot's "is monogamy a failure as an idea" remains well preserved and intact, while my "is monotony a failure as an idea?" thread has vanished into the aether.  Anecdotal, I know, but the overall ledger of threads follows this pattern of wiping my greatest works from the face of the Earth while crystallizing the mundane.  I suppose even that which is writ in stone goes all Ozymandias in the end.  Was just hoping they'd at least wait for me to be gone before they start knocking down statues and wiping threads.

I hope there’s a beautiful old cobwebbed part of the Internet somewhere that will be found by some young up and coming studious type that will uncover all your glorious best hits one day. 

Also yeah the job is cool and the place is rad, right?! definitely an interesting place to work. 

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Are insects capable of committing suicide?

Was sitting on the can 20 minutes ago, and this centipede runs into the bathroom.  Figured it was going to make a beeline for some crevice under my sink or something, but runs up to it, stops, then turns around.  That's when I killed it with some TP.  But it was just weird.  Lived in the same apartment for five years now.  Every summer I have to kill a lot of centipedes.  That's the first time it's been so easy.  It was like the bug equivalent of death-by-cop.  

So, are there any insect..ologists out there, whatever that is?  Please tell me I'm crazy for thinking that centipede wanted me to kill it.

A woodlouse flung itself at me from a tree earlier when I got a bit too up close and personal for a little peek and o remember exclaiming to my friend: “it just suicided right off the tree and AT me!!” So maybe this IS a thing...evidently we need to provide better mental support for our bugs and wildlife...

On 6/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, maarsen said:

I am glad for you Theda.  Just remember to take some time for yourself. You are worth it. 

Thank you x 

15 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^Oh you really would love a bug zapper. 

I used to have one hanging in a breezeway and would always feel a little sadistic joy zapping all those trespassing insects.

LOL.  I live on the 5th (top) floor of a very old apartment with no balcony - this is why there's the centipede problem in the first place (and it's got better each summer, I think my brother and I are slowly killing off whatever colonies they were developing between the walls before we moved in).  So, a zapper doesn't seem appropriate, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No idea, but I think the word is entomologist. But I don't think centipedes are insects.

I think you're right on both counts.  I even googled centipedes to see if there was another accessible term to call them.  "Predatory arthropods" is a little much.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

A woodlouse flung itself at me from a tree earlier when I got a bit too up close and personal for a little peek and o remember exclaiming to my friend: “it just suicided right off the tree and AT me!!” So maybe this IS a thing...evidently we need to provide better mental support for our bugs and wildlife...

Ha!  That reminds me of this time years ago I was showering with my ex, and a "spider monkey" (that's what we called them, they were big spiders that jumped a lot, dunno their actual name but google suggests they're just "jumping spiders") jumped on her.  She had me inspect the shower before she went in for like a month after that.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, DMC said:

LOL.  I live on the 5th (top) floor of a very old apartment with no balcony - this is why there's the centipede problem in the first place (and it's got better each summer, I think my brother and I are slowly killing off whatever colonies they were developing between the walls before we moved in).  So, a zapper doesn't seem appropriate, unfortunately.

I think you're right on both counts.  I even googled centipedes to see if there was another accessible term to call them.  "Predatory arthropods" is a little much.

Ha!  That reminds me of this time years ago I was showering with my ex, and a "spider monkey" (that's what we called them, they were big spiders that jumped a lot, dunno their actual name but google suggests they're just "jumping spiders") jumped on her.  She had me inspect the shower before she went in for like a month after that.

Centipedes need a food source. Once that dwindles, so do they. Let them be. You may find out the hard way what they were keeping in check. 

9 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Centipedes need a food source. Once that dwindles, so do they. Let them be. You may find out the hard way what they were keeping in check. 

I have thought about, but thus far I've yet to see an increase in anything else as I've killed them off.  Plus they just gross me out.  I'm usually fine with most other critters, but if I see  a centipede on my wall I gotta kill it to feel comfortable.

Archived