Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

18 hours ago, Raja said:

Also, people who put queen sized beds in rooms that are *way* too small for queen sized beds. Why would you do this? ( Admittedly, I always go for a smaller bed & a larger desk, but that's just me)

You say this as though a desk is mandatory in a bedroom, I've never been in a bedroom with a desk in my whole life. 

Also, queen size in the UK is a small double (120cm wide), is that the same elsewhere? 

6 hours ago, Datepalm said:

You are wrong! I mean, ideally it's well balanced

I *need* big desks ( okay, not big, but decent sized )

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You say this as though a desk is mandatory in a bedroom, I've never been in a bedroom with a desk in my whole life. 

Also, queen size in the UK is a small double (120cm wide), is that the same elsewhere? 

I think it's personal experience - I've always had a desk in my room, and I feel like I've always needed one through uni & work, especially as I've always had to do work on a computer. I also both like working at home & like working on a desk, as opposed to working in cafes etc.

I guess I've never lived in a house where I could afford to put a desk in a separate room.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I *need* big desks ( okay, not big, but decent sized )

I think it's personal experience - I've always had a desk in my room, and I feel like I've always needed one through uni & work, especially as I've always had to do work on a computer. I also both like working at home & like working on a desk, as opposed to working in cafes etc.

I guess I've never lived in a house where I could afford to put a desk in a separate room.

I'm in the same boat, but i've always preferred either working outside my bedroom (the further the better - if I can't work in a cafe, I'll work in the library, then the living room, then the kitchen, etc. I've sat on my building staircase for work in a few places.) but then if I'm in the bedroom, I'm going to be working on the bed anyway. Desk superflous in any event.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, Raja said:

Also, people who put queen sized beds in rooms that are *way* too small for queen sized beds. Why would you do this? ( Admittedly, I always go for a smaller bed & a larger desk, but that's just me)

I've always wanted to have a house containing a room containing only mattresses on the floor. Small space cut out for entry and exit, but otherwise all mattress all the time. One day you'll see. One day you'll all see...

;) 

8 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

I've always wanted to have a house containing a room containing only mattresses on the floor. Small space cut out for entry and exit, but otherwise all mattress all the time. One day you'll see. One day you'll all see...

;) 

Been there, done that. It gets, uh, grotty fast.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:37 AM, Datepalm said:

This makes me feel so much better about my life this morning...

So many questions! How did this last ten years? Does the husband have a mouse persona? Has he been hiding it from her and now feels it's the moment to reveal his true self? How did this start? 

I actually laughed harder at the "poop knife" story. 

They don’t always look to see if you are chewing? I’m sure you’d be even more perturbed if you glanced up from your food to see me squinting across the restaurant at you trying to see if you are chewing. 

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

Why do servers in restaurants only ask how the food is or "How is everything tasting?" when you have a mouth full of food and cannot answer.  The consistency of this is astounding.  Is it some industry secret I'm not privy to or does seeing the person chewing trigger them to ask or something?

Eh. I just smile and nod whenever this happens. While making the Mmmmm Hmmmm sound.

My 20 year old car needed a repair job that would have cost $753... I would have paid almost $3000 in repairs since January. So today I traded it in for a two year old car. I'm pretty frugal and more anxious about money than the average bear, so this big purchase has come with a slight unease and a lack of excitement, but I'm happy about everything. 

This actually isn't small at all, or at least the future implications aren't, but I'm not sure if it's ready for its own thread. Everyday people sacrifice their privacy for minor improvements in security. And the government, the police and large tech firms are more than happy to help. Big Brother is watching you, and now it's trying to make it so you are the ones that help them do so.

43 minutes ago, Raja said:

Took 3 flights yesterday, all 3 had no one sitting beside me. If I ever complain about anything again, put me in the bin.

You've peaked now though. That's as good as your life will ever be. 

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Took 3 flights yesterday, all 3 had no one sitting beside me. If I ever complain about anything again, put me in the bin.

Was it on JetBlue?  Last time I flew from Minneapolis to Boston it was on JetBlue.  After years of Delta and SunCountry JetBlue felt like 1st class.  Nobody next to me aaaannd like pre '90s leg room!

5 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Was it on JetBlue?  Last time I flew from Minneapolis to Boston it was on JetBlue.  After years of Delta and SunCountry JetBlue felt like 1st class.  Nobody next to me aaaannd like pre '90s leg room!

Nah - twas United & Aer Lingus. 7 hour flight with no one next to me? Yes, please.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Nah - twas United & Aer Lingus. 7 hour flight with no one next to me? Yes, please.

Last month I flew from Dallas to Paris on a 9 hour flight with a whole row to myself, I know exactly what you're feeling.

Archived