Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

23 hours ago, Triskele said:

I continue to be baffled by people's inability to exercise proper etiquette with elevators.  Not just with people who try to get on right away before seeing if anyone's getting off.  Another one that shocks me anew every time someone does it is the person who doesn't think to look if the arrow is pointing in the way they're headed.  It's like "I'm headed down, so obviously this elevator that just arrived must be headed that way."  Uh, no.  It doesn't quite work that way.  

Elevator etiquette is trickier than you might think. For example, I always thought letting women off first was the gentlemanly thing to do, but I've run into a ton of women over the years who actually want the men to get off first so they don't feel like they're being followed,

One particular grad student is the bane of my existence at the moment. I work in a molecular biology lab and spent a couple days planning an experiment with him.   Was helping him finish up a couple things and we'd penciled in to get the major part of it sorted today. Was down in the lab from 9-9:30 waiting for him before heading back to my office. Emailed and told him we'd need to put it off for another day unless we could start soon.

Anyway 2:30pm I get a frantic text from him saying he'd just got everything set up and started the ultra centrifuge spin. This is past the point of no return for an expensive experiment which takes minimum 8hrs, and has a couple days set up time. He knows this. We've done this before. The fuck is he thinking (he wasn't). Fuck! This guy is really really nice, but I swear he's just a fucking idiot.

Have finally managed to get out a couple hours late, am pissed. Have left him with detailed instructions. I really doubt he'll be out before midnight, and more than likely he'll completely screw it up. Hopefully he doesn't destroy anything else too expensive along the way.

Why did it take so many years to realize I can buy chow mein noodles and a bag of stir fry vegetables and cut some pre- seasoned chicken into strips and do my own stir fry at home?  Good god!   And the sauces!   An entire aisle of marinades & stir fry sauces.  The Mongolian one pours like water, you can go through a bottle of it like an alcoholic.   The Szechuan one I respect but as an Away Sauce to be experienced as a taste bud tourist.  It's not a Home Team sauce I feel at home with.   Next on the sauce journey I will seek an audience with.... The General.   Or that Panda Express one, sweet chili something.   Fuck!

Oh, and for jury duty, just raise your hand and ask the lawyers a question as if you're legit interested in how things work.  That scares them more than anything.   They'll answer real polite, just as you were polite, but you'll be booted off that jury.   If I'm on a jury, it's because I'm there for the sex.

I avoided jury duty for years by just ignoring the summons.  I got into some minor trouble with that as they noticed and sent me a threat of a warrant.  I called in and they laughed and told me to forget it and they would 'take me off the list'.  Next summons I received I went in and landed a three week trial.  It was far more interesting than I would have thought.  It's much more theatrical than I assumed it would be in real life as opposed to legal/crime fiction.  My most recent summons was cancelled about a week after I received it.

Theda Baratheon, while you may have to show up on your day, you can get out of being on an actual jury pretty easily during voir dire.  You might not even get that far.  Many people just show up and read in the jury pool room and then go home at the end of the day.  Will your job pay you to go?  If not you can claim financial hardship and get out of it I think. 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:44 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I’ve been summoned to do Jury Service...dunno how to feel about it really 

9 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Oh, and for jury duty, just raise your hand and ask the lawyers a question as if you're legit interested in how things work.  That scares them more than anything.   They'll answer real polite, just as you were polite, but you'll be booted off that jury.   If I'm on a jury, it's because I'm there for the sex.

2 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I avoided jury duty for years by just ignoring the summons.  I got into some minor trouble with that as they noticed and sent me a threat of a warrant.  I called in and they laughed and told me to forget it and they would 'take me off the list'.  Next summons I received I went in and landed a three week trial.  It was far more interesting than I would have thought.  It's much more theatrical than I assumed it would be in real life as opposed to legal/crime fiction.  My most recent summons was cancelled about a week after I received it.

Theda Baratheon, while you may have to show up on your day, you can get out of being on an actual jury pretty easily during voir dire.  You might not even get that far.  Many people just show up and read in the jury pool room and then go home at the end of the day.  Will your job pay you to go?  If not you can claim financial hardship and get out of it I think. 

Ya'll be overthinking this:

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I kind of want to go to it now. At first I couldn’t be bothered even though I know I legally have to. Now I think it will be an interesting experience. I’m not like...excited, but I’m not trying to elaborately plan how to get out of it...better to just...turn up and do it I guess. 

Not sure if Inkdaub is from the UK but that doesnt seem terribly accurate for this country (in terms of getting out of it i mean. Not actually getting called for a trial, yeah that is very possible)

I was summoned for jury duty a few months after I graduated high school and was 18. A part of me had been like, "really? I just started life, come on..." Thankfully because I was a student (college), I got out. I was summoned again about 3 years later. Was living in a different town and still a student, so I got out again and changed my license address to my university town. Haven't been summoned since and it's been awhile -- maybe having lived in bigger cities has helped? I think I recall my parents being summoned every few years in our small town... whatever.

I hope whatever you have to sit through is interesting, Theda! Sounds like you're going to find it (interesting stuff) anyway.

It doesn’t work like that in the UK, they don’t use voir dire for jury selection.  It’s more to do with randomisation than vetting.  

You just have to turn up and wait until they call your number.  If they call yours first you get to be foreperson (yay!). You can be challenged but they’d only do that if you were ineligible or connected to the case.  Even then you can then be assigned to a different case.

Good luck anyway Theda! :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I kind of want to go to it now. At first I couldn’t be bothered even though I know I legally have to. Now I think it will be an interesting experience. I’m not like...excited, but I’m not trying to elaborately plan how to get out of it...better to just...turn up and do it I guess. 

That's how I felt about it as well.  It was a good experience and I'm glad I got a trial.  That said, once was enough and I have no real interest in going back.  A coworker was picked for the grand jury and that would be interesting. 

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not sure if Inkdaub is from the UK but that doesnt seem terribly accurate for this country (in terms of getting out of it i mean. Not actually getting called for a trial, yeah that is very possible)

No I'm in the States and I'm probably forgetting more than a few details. 

I didn't know the UK didn't use voir dire.  We spent almost two days on it.

So about 10 days ago I lost my wallet here in the tube in London, it had a bunch of stuff that was quite important ( debit card, driver's license), and they've found it! I'm super relieved.

This trip has been more taxing than I thought it was going to be.

Archived