Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

6 hours ago, Raja said:

So about 10 days ago I lost my wallet here in the tube in London, it had a bunch of stuff that was quite important ( debit card, driver's license), and they've found it! I'm super relieved.

This trip has been more taxing than I thought it was going to be.

Holy hell, i’m shocked! I once left my purse on the self check-out in London, realised before i even left the shop and it was gone by the time i got back.

But seriously, 10 days after leaving it on the tube of all places...you have really been exceedingly lucky!

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Holy hell, i’m shocked! I once left my purse on the self check-out in London, realised before i even left the shop and it was gone by the time i got back. 

But seriously, 10 days after leaving it on the tube of all places...you have really been exceedingly lucky!

I know!  I left it on one of those seats on the platform - I was back there in like 5 minutes but twas gone! I filled out the online form for lost property on the same day  thinking there's no way I'll find it but I suppose someone turned it in. It's funny, on the TfL website they state that they find 1/3 things lost on the tube, and I totally didn't buy that! I'm just glad I locked my card and didn't cancel it.

Sorry about your purse though :(

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, Inkdaub said:

No I'm in the States and I'm probably forgetting more than a few details. 

I didn't know the UK didn't use voir dire.  We spent almost two days on it.

I'm a court reporter and recall vividly how much I hated reporting voir dire.  People are generally unaccustomed to speaking about themselves in front of large groups and they tend to clam up and mumble, making the court reporter's job a living nightmare.

Speaking of voir dire, interesting factoid: Jury selection in the O.J. Simpson case took over 300 DAYS.  The folks who made it onto the jury were sequestered during the trial under the watchful eyes of bailiffs (one of which was a good friend of mine.  Fun guy.)  

They should probably be sequestered again.  Like tell them it's for a reunion show on BET, but it'd really be so university level researchers can study them.  Let's get more of a look at how that bunch functions in a variety of situations.

The Summer is dumb for doing stuff outside.   It's not the Pepsi party in the street that Summer tries to make us think it is.  Can we skip seasons?   Or would you miss too much and not know what was going on if we jumped ahead to Autumn tomorrow.   I say pull the lever.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I'm a court reporter and recall vividly how much I hated reporting voir dire.  People are generally unaccustomed to speaking about themselves in front of large groups and they tend to clam up and mumble, making the court reporter's job a living nightmare.

Speaking of voir dire, interesting factoid: Jury selection in the O.J. Simpson case took over 300 DAYS.  The folks who made it onto the jury were sequestered during the trial under the watchful eyes of bailiffs (one of which was a good friend of mine.  Fun guy.)  

Going to use this as a springboard for a nostalgic riff.

The OJ trial was the most vivid part of my childhood.  I remember being home pretending to be sick so I could watch it on TV with my grandfather.  Then the next week I was suspended from school and got to watch more live.  I remember watching Rosa Lopez testify, had read a couple John Grisham books, and loved being able to point out who was who.  I remember listening to a lot of foofighters, smashing pumpkins, and Alanis morrisette on my headphones at night thinking about it.   Wondering what it meant when jurors were replaced (at least one i remember)

Then at the end of the trial, they wheeled TV's into our classrooms (I was in 7th grade math) when the verdict was announced.  

This is what made me want to get into mock trial in highschool.  

Eta: at somepoint during that time my little brother won this pog slammer (wow has that phrase changed meanings over time) playing pingpong.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Trevor is definitely shitter than Barry.

Just Barry Chuckle on his own brings Barry right up there with the coolest names, like Megatron, Hannibal and Quincy.

And Barry from Eastenders. 

On 8/12/2019 at 8:43 PM, Tears of Lys said:

That's a cool job.  The court reporter at my trial was pretty great.  She'd yell if she couldn't understand what was said and the lawyers, or whomever, would stop talking instantly.  Also to sit there in the middle with the trial going on takes confidence I likely don't have.

Archived