Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

So uhhh...where’s this screening then 

It's in London :), at the prince charles cinema, it's a nice little space. Calling themselves that is certainly a choice though.

And I guess you call it a double feature, as opposed to a marathon, though the run time is like 300 minutes! I missed both of these when they first came out, so it'll be nice to see em on a big screen.

@Raja: this is definitly a marathon and I'm sure you will enjoy 2049 on big screen (a wonderful experience in theater: perfect photo, perfect colors, perfect framing...even if personnaly I prefer the first Blade Runner, that, at least, has a genuine story to tell...) .

By the way, Trevor is the worst name. Remember, this is the name of Neville's toad in HP.

Once the neck valve becomes a reality we'll never poo again as a species, nor get fat.   All the flavor of the food, none of the consequences.   

Another million dollar diet fad idea i'm giving away for free---stock only survival rations in your snack cabinet for a week, then for weight loss switch to eating them full time.    Ironically, they make one not want to survive.   Daily food intake will go way down.   Then for the exercise part of this life changing health regimen, you'll need to acquire a donkey.    (I'll wait.)

22 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Settle an argument for me, which name is shitter, Barry or Trevor?

Trevor. For the simple fact that the HBO show with Bill Hader called Barry is amazing. 

Also, I've know one Trevor and one Barry in my life. Neither was awesome, but I'll let you decide which you like better:

The first time I met Barry he was walking down a dirt road, barefoot, with his jeans rolled up to his knees. I said, "I'm with Nick. Are you Barry?" and he said, "Yeah. Have you seen a pickle bucket anywhere?"

The first time I met Trevor he wa...just kidding. I've never actually met anyone named Trevor because that is a terrible fucking name.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, Yet another Arya ! said:

By the way, Trevor is the worst name. Remember, this is the name of Neville's toad in HP.

In the Slovene edition, Neville's toad was inexplicably renamed Hilary (Hillary?). Which is also a pretty awful-sounding name.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Trevor is the sweet and dependable old man who likes to tend his garden come rain or shine.

Barry is the alcoholic racist who props up the bar at the local

When I think of Trevor, I think of Trevor Noah, or maybe a pair of white MLB pitchers - Trevor Hoffman and Trevor Bauer.  Bauer is a pretty huge dick but the other two are pretty cool.  Don't think I've ever met a Trevor in real life.

As for Barry, I think of Bonds and, well, Barack Obama.  That's a pretty wide spread.  I have known one Barry irl - he was my roommate my second semester of college.  While he could probably be classified as an alcoholic, I'd say he was more a coke head in the 4 months I knew him.

All in all, if I had to, like, name one of kids one of the these, I think I'd go with Barry, but I agree both are definitely not names I'd choose.  Oh, Barry is also Henry Winkler's name in Arrested Development, so it's got that going for it.

23 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Second car this year that’s a write off - I have the worst fucking luck - crashes this morning into a wall because the tire went - wasn’t even going fast around the bend, just must have hit something at just the wrong angle 

Jesus, friend. I'm glad you're okay! That sounds rough. Sorry about your car though - car trouble/ repairs are my worst nightmares given that I know nothing about cars and it is expensive as fuck :grouphug:

On my end of Small things - My favourite pair of shoes are on their last legs, I've had them for about 9 years, so I am loathe to part with them but a random person told me I need new shoes today so they must *really* be showing their age.

Edit - I am almost tempted to post a picture of aforementioned shoes

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

In the Slovene edition, Neville's toad was inexplicably renamed Hilary (Hillary?). Which is also a pretty awful-sounding name.

Trevor-Hilary the gender bending toad :P did she wear a pantsuit?

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Not putting on your blinker is a thing that deserves more shaming than it gets.  Extremely rude.  

Who among ye is guilty of this crime?  

I'm not guilty of this crime, Your Honor! I admit I had an accident in a roundabout because I did not put on the blinker... But read the story before throwing rotten tomatoes at me: I did not intend to leave the roundabout at the first exit but the exit immediatly following, so I did not put on the blinker. I was on the outer lane. My car was hit by the car behind me that was in the inner lane and wanted to take the first exit. The other driver thought that I forgot to put on my blinker and that I was about to exit! Hopefully we were driving slowly and there was only damages to the bumpers and the wheel covers. But as I wanted to leave only at the second exit, I did not need to put on the left blinker (just the right blinker at the second exit), nor going on the inner lane.

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Trevor-Hilary the gender bending toad :P did she wear a pantsuit?

I ... don't think so? :blink: But that's a pictionary sentence right there. "Hilary steals Harry's pants and chases him in circles around the quidditch court."

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Raise the Red Lantern is one of my alltime favorite movies. 

If that's the movie I'm thinking of then I watched it years ago in my Mandarin class. First time I could watch a Chinese movie without subtitles and actually follow the story. From what I remember it was excellent.

10 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

I'm not guilty of this crime, Your Honor! I admit I had an accident in a roundabout because I did not put on the blinker... But read the story before throwing rotten tomatoes at me: I did not intend to leave the roundabout at the first exit but the exit immediatly following, so I did not put on the blinker. I was on the outer lane. My car was hit by the car behind me that was in the inner lane and wanted to take the first exit. The other driver thought that I forgot to put on my blinker and that I was about to exit! Hopefully we were driving slowly and there was only damages to the bumpers and the wheel covers. But as I wanted to leave only at the second exit, I did not need to put on the left blinker (just the right blinker at the second exit), nor going on the inner lane.

I use a roundabout on my commute and I never use a blinker unless I'm turning at the first option, since I take the 2nd 9 times out of 10, it's no blinker for me as I feel a blinker would likely cause the guys waiting at the first left to dart in front of me.

Anyways I just go aggressive in these things, I look left and then haul ass into the circle if noones too close, if someone's lollygagging on my right it's probably gonna be bumpers one day, but so far it's been over a year without crushing a subcompact. I treat the whole situation like roller derby:D

3 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

If that's the movie I'm thinking of then I watched it years ago in my Mandarin class. First time I could watch a Chinese movie without subtitles and actually follow the story. From what I remember it was excellent.

I try to watch all of Gong Li movies. There was a time when she was so cool to me I couldn't get enough of her. She's in Singapore and half a billionaire now like a lot of other people there. Anyways the post about floating lanterns made me think of that movie.

Archived