Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

Went to see the demolition of the remaining towers of the old Didcot power station today (UK) and got a bit more excitement than we had bargained for when it caused a pylon near us to blow and left a swathe of South Oxfordshire without power.

Fortunately nobody was seriously hurt and we were unscathed.

This slightly shaky video (not by us) gives a good impression of what happened (see about 2 minutes in).

22 hours ago, Raja said:

On my end of Small things - My favourite pair of shoes are on their last legs, I've had them for about 9 years, so I am loathe to part with them but a random person told me I need new shoes today so they must *really* be showing their age.

Edit - I am almost tempted to post a picture of aforementioned shoes

How??? My favorite pair of shoes bit the dust yesterday when I realized I had worn an actual hole through the sole, and they're less than a year old. And almost- hiking boots (North Face!). I mean, I like walking, but I also wasn't like scaling the Alps in them. Aaaans they don't seem to have them in stock anywhere Ive looked anymore. 

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

How??? My favorite pair of shoes bit the dust yesterday when I realized I had worn an actual hole through the sole, and they're less than a year old. And almost- hiking boots (North Face!). I mean, I like walking, but I also wasn't like scaling the Alps in them. Aaaans they don't seem to have them in stock anywhere Ive looked anymore. 

Hah - I dunno? To be fair, I had two of these exact same pairs ( different colours) that I wore all the time, and they both pretty much gave out within 1/2 months of each other ( also, I'm totally looking them up on amazon right now to see if I can snag another pair)

Less than a year is impressive though. Maybe you just walk *way* more than me.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Even my best quality shoes don’t seem to last more than 6 months (and like Datepalm, i’m talking about holes in the sole etc. Not just looking a bit worn out). 9 years seems incredible to me!

Gonna quit my job & start a youtube series about how to make shoes last a decade. Y'all better subscribe.

How much walking do you all do, I've never had a pair of shoes worn through the sole before the uppers were fucked.  My work shoes normally last about 5-6 years.  Though come to think of it my wife always wears her soles though, do women walk differently or something?

15 hours ago, Datepalm said:

TBH if they have worn through in a year, you might want to try some different ones?

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How much walking do you all do, I've never had a pair of shoes worn through the sole before the uppers were fucked.  My work shoes normally last about 5-6 years.  Though come to think of it my wife always wears her soles though, do women walk differently or something?

TBH if they have worn through in a year, you might want to try some different ones?

Yeah that's a good point...

Usually the uppers go for me too, but these have been really great in all conditions in that regard and held on really well, until this. 

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Even my best quality shoes don’t seem to last more than 6 months (and like Datepalm, i’m talking about holes in the sole etc. Not just looking a bit worn out). 9 years seems incredible to me!

The black work dress shoes I have on atm are at least six years old and look pretty good. Their replacement, however, was purchased a few weeks back. They're not long for this household anymore (I donate all my good dress cloths and shoes to a local charity).

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Seems to me we need to address the vast gender gap in how long shoes last, cuz yeah, the last pair of sneakers I had lasted maybe a dozen years.  I mean, they were literally falling apart by the end, but still.  Since those literally were destroyed, I haven't gotten any new sneakers - just have a couple pairs of dress shoes and a pair of sandals - but this smacks of grave misogyny going on.  If a pair of any footwear lasted me less than a year I'd be outraged!

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Im not even talking heels/women’s shoes here! Just pretty standard unisex casual/every shoes.

Maybe your feet are just more powerful than mine.  Don't go near Quentin Tarantino!

As a guy I wear out my shoes all the time. Admittedly they're almost exclusively running shoes which I've put 600-800km on roads or trails first, but after another 6months - year of daily use I tend to go through the sole. The bloody things generally don't wear fast enough tbh. Have a big back log of potential walking shoes I need to get to.

Archived