S John

Small, unworthy things: part whatever

15 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^Oh you really would love a bug zapper. 

I used to have one hanging in a breezeway and would always feel a little sadistic joy zapping all those trespassing insects.

LOL.  I live on the 5th (top) floor of a very old apartment with no balcony - this is why there's the centipede problem in the first place (and it's got better each summer, I think my brother and I are slowly killing off whatever colonies they were developing between the walls before we moved in).  So, a zapper doesn't seem appropriate, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No idea, but I think the word is entomologist. But I don't think centipedes are insects.

I think you're right on both counts.  I even googled centipedes to see if there was another accessible term to call them.  "Predatory arthropods" is a little much.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

A woodlouse flung itself at me from a tree earlier when I got a bit too up close and personal for a little peek and o remember exclaiming to my friend: “it just suicided right off the tree and AT me!!” So maybe this IS a thing...evidently we need to provide better mental support for our bugs and wildlife...

Ha!  That reminds me of this time years ago I was showering with my ex, and a "spider monkey" (that's what we called them, they were big spiders that jumped a lot, dunno their actual name but google suggests they're just "jumping spiders") jumped on her.  She had me inspect the shower before she went in for like a month after that.

Centipedes

Die-Sect/Pen

Yep, hidden in the name. Centipedes are a cult that try to find weird ways to die while getting people to write about it. 

On 6/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, DMC said:

LOL.  I live on the 5th (top) floor of a very old apartment with no balcony - this is why there's the centipede problem in the first place (and it's got better each summer, I think my brother and I are slowly killing off whatever colonies they were developing between the walls before we moved in).  So, a zapper doesn't seem appropriate, unfortunately.

I think you're right on both counts.  I even googled centipedes to see if there was another accessible term to call them.  "Predatory arthropods" is a little much.

Ha!  That reminds me of this time years ago I was showering with my ex, and a "spider monkey" (that's what we called them, they were big spiders that jumped a lot, dunno their actual name but google suggests they're just "jumping spiders") jumped on her.  She had me inspect the shower before she went in for like a month after that.

Centipedes need a food source. Once that dwindles, so do they. Let them be. You may find out the hard way what they were keeping in check. 

9 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Centipedes need a food source. Once that dwindles, so do they. Let them be. You may find out the hard way what they were keeping in check. 

I have thought about, but thus far I've yet to see an increase in anything else as I've killed them off.  Plus they just gross me out.  I'm usually fine with most other critters, but if I see  a centipede on my wall I gotta kill it to feel comfortable.

Websites that make me pause my adblocker can get in the bin.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Websites that make me pause my adblocker can get in the bin.

For example this forum?

I cannot use the search function on this forum, for example, if the adblocker is on.

9 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

For example this forum?

I cannot use the search function on this forum, for example, if the adblocker is on.

Hmm - I've never had any trouble on this forum. Which adblocker & browser do you use?

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Hmm - I've never had any trouble on this forum. Which adblocker & browser do you use?

Mozilla Firefox and uBlock Origin. I think I read in the Help forum at some point that using an adblocker might present problems with this site, but for me, it is mainly just the search function that doesn't work with a blocker, everything else works fine, so I don't really care.

Just now, Buckwheat said:

Mozilla Firefox and uBlock Origin. I think I read in the Help forum at some point that using an adblocker might present problems with this site, but for me, it is mainly just the search function that doesn't work with a blocker, everything else works fine, so I don't really care.

I also use firefox but I use Adblock, though ublock origin is good too from what I've heard! I haven't had to turn it off for the search function, if you're looking to make a change :)

In my case, I was trying to look at the weather here but the local weather website keeps telling me to turn it off!

If you're in the merge lane and gun it to try and get ahead of the person in front of you as they merge, you're a bad person and require an a** whooping. 

Yeah I said it!

49 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Man Flips Out at NY Bagel Shop Over Woman's Rejection in Viral Video | NBC New York

If I was Randy Newman I would file a preemptive restraining order against that guy.

This is my first weekend of summer vacation, and I'm celebrating by doing some Diablo II campaigning.

Why are the men I know basketcases? Why do they all have PhDs? Is that the connection? There are only so many bits to the male brain, and add a thing, something else has to go? Why do they all remind me of my dad?

I had to *call* my dad, like on the *phone*, to find out what's going on with my mom. And he said talking seemed too complicated. Meanwhile, a fairly close friend from a few years ago, who was an academic mentor, shoulder to cry and general, you know, friend, is apparently in town (town being major African city where neither of us live and both here by rather opportune and cool coincidence) and I only found about it through other mutual contact and when I texted him, I got condescending, 'good luck' and 'no thanks' to meeting up in a really, like, schoolyard kind of way. I have no idea what I did, seriously. I mean, I moved, he moved, it hasn't even been that long. I saw him last summer. And meanwhile Mad Econ guy is also not responding to me, but he's starting to seem like the explicable one at this point. Why do I have drama? I am not a drama person. I'm not. Really.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Why are the men I know basketcases? Why do they all have PhDs? Is that the connection? There are only so many bits to the male brain, and add a thing, something else has to go? Why do they all remind me of my dad?

I had to *call* my dad, like on the *phone*, to find out what's going on with my mom. And he said talking seemed too complicated. Meanwhile, a fairly close friend from a few years ago, who was an academic mentor, shoulder to cry and general, you know, friend, is apparently in town (town being major African city where neither of us live and both here by rather opportune and cool coincidence) and I only found about it through other mutual contact and when I texted him, I got condescending, 'good luck' and 'no thanks' to meeting up in a really, like, schoolyard kind of way. I have no idea what I did, seriously. I mean, I moved, he moved, it hasn't even been that long. I saw him last summer. And meanwhile Mad Econ guy is also not responding to me, but he's starting to seem like the explicable one at this point. Why do I have drama? I am not a drama person. I'm not. Really.

Now you are just inviting them!

Edited by HelenaExMachina

10 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Why are the men I know basketcases? Why do they all have PhDs? Is that the connection?

Because we are all little boys.  Probably because of your social circle.  I don't think so, really, but maybe more so.

I'm sorry, I don't even know where to post this but what is going on. I have questions.