Jump to content
S John

Small, unworthy things: part whatever

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Raja said:

Took 3 flights yesterday, all 3 had no one sitting beside me. If I ever complain about anything again, put me in the bin.

You've peaked now though. That's as good as your life will ever be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raja said:

Took 3 flights yesterday, all 3 had no one sitting beside me. If I ever complain about anything again, put me in the bin.

Was it on JetBlue?  Last time I flew from Minneapolis to Boston it was on JetBlue.  After years of Delta and SunCountry JetBlue felt like 1st class.  Nobody next to me aaaannd like pre '90s leg room!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Was it on JetBlue?  Last time I flew from Minneapolis to Boston it was on JetBlue.  After years of Delta and SunCountry JetBlue felt like 1st class.  Nobody next to me aaaannd like pre '90s leg room!

Nah - twas United & Aer Lingus. 7 hour flight with no one next to me? Yes, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Nah - twas United & Aer Lingus. 7 hour flight with no one next to me? Yes, please.

Last month I flew from Dallas to Paris on a 9 hour flight with a whole row to myself, I know exactly what you're feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This little guy leaves me speechless... 

https://abcn.ws/30ScQ7f

Oh, man.  That could have been much worse than a broken(sprained?) arm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 2:15 PM, BigFatCoward said:

You've peaked now though. That's as good as your life will ever be. 

I knew this luck wouldn't last - took a train from Manchester to London - they had canceled the previous train out of Manchester so my train was filled with passengers from both trains & it also didn't have working AC. In addition, we arrived an hour late even though we started on time from Piccadilly.

Traveling is cruel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raja said:

I knew this luck wouldn't last - took a train from Manchester to London - they had canceled the previous train out of Manchester so my train was filled with passengers from both trains & it also didn't have working AC. In addition, we arrived an hour late even though we started on time from Piccadilly.

Traveling is cruel.

I had to read this a few times before i remembered Manchester has a Piccadilly too. :rolleyes: i blame the heat.

And count yourself lucky again, loads of people ended up stranded. My friend ended up sat in Biggleswade for i dont even know how long because trains were no longer running to her station

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels refreshing when I get a haircut. I had one this morning, ( I got a low fade but kept my goatee) and I've been feeling like a million bucks all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I had to read this a few times before i remembered Manchester has a Piccadilly too. :rolleyes: i blame the heat.

And count yourself lucky again, loads of people ended up stranded. My friend ended up sat in Biggleswade for i dont even know how long because trains were no longer running to her station

Yeah, tbh once I got off the train I was like 'That could have been worse'! Euston & Manchester Piccadilly were both teeming with people. I've never seen a station that crowded before. They initially told us our train down to Euston was cancelled, but then 10 minutes later they opened all the gates and let us in. There was much confusion.

I left one heat wave in the US, and I've seemingly brought one to the UK. At least the rest of the week looks like it's going to be cooler :) I hope it is where you are too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This needs to be a bigger deal:

Quote

The Federal Trade Commission announced a $5 billion settlement with Facebook (FB) on Wednesday, resolving a sweeping investigation by regulators into how the company lost control over massive troves of personal data and mishandled its communications with users. It is the largest fine in FTC history — and yet still only about a month's worth of revenue for Facebook.

The deal comes amid growing calls in Washington for greater transparency and accountability for technology companies, whose power over social movements as well as personal information has increasingly come to be seen as dangerous by politicians, users, and even one of Facebook's co-founders.
 
Facebook agreed to the deal following years of damaging admissions about the company's privacy practices, such as the inadvertent exposure of up to 87 million users' information to the political analysis firm Cambridge Analytica.
 
The settlement resolves a formal complaint by the FTC alleging that Facebook "used deceptive disclosures and settings" that eroded user privacy, violating a prior agreement Facebook signed with the commission in 2012. Facebook also broke the law, the FTC alleged, by misusing phone numbers obtained for account security purposes to also target advertisements to its users. And the company allegedly deceived "tens of millions of users" by implying that a facial recognition feature on the service had not been enabled by default, when in fact it had.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/24/tech/facebook-ftc-settlement/index.html

This is a joke. It should have been $100b, at the least. Their stock went up after this news came out because their earnings were strong. Facebook has become a sick joke, and if we don’t act fast, social media will be what Orwell warned us about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilarious. Check out this podcast discussing how the NYC mob helped create recycling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 7:30 AM, Raja said:

Took 3 flights yesterday, all 3 had no one sitting beside me. If I ever complain about anything again, put me in the bin.

Lucky........

I just finished booking a flight for September. I'm going into it expecting a middle seat with people on either side of me who constantly get up.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Thursday was the hottest day in Western Europe since the records exist. Unfortunatelly, it was the very day of my move to a new city, implying a 6 hours travel by car. It was packed with a lot of delicate or precious stuff I did not want to put in the moving truck, including several plants. Even with the AC, one of them died, and another was partly burned (with leaves becoming brown).

I don't know were you are everyone but I hope you survived this heatwave!

@Raja: you did not peaked: others flights with nobody but you in the row await you, especially when you fly off-season, along with the surprise of being upgraded in business class...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a 4.5 hour train yesterday that was packed...but several adjacent blocks of seats, inc. mine, were a large extended family with loads of small kids...on the one hand, it was pretty roomy because they were constantly rushing about and, well, are small. On the other hand... toddlers on a train. I think you could have stuck them in a hamster wheel and gotten there faster by the end of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, turns out my brother is now a Jordan Peterson fanboy. Which on the one hand is in no way surprising, and yet on the other is still very disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With my wife recently back at work, my 10 month old daughter in nursery, and this being a day off work, this is the first day in almost a year that I have to myself (until 1630 anyway).

What do I do?? Spend all day writing? Half the day writing and go see Spiderman?

Turn on my PS4 after months of it gathering dust?

OH GOD, THE FREEDOM!!!

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really like showers with a showerhead fixed above my head on the wall. I much prefer showers with the showerhead on this ... cord or whatever you call it, that you cab move around - I don't want to wash my hair every time I take a shower!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't really like showers with a showerhead fixed above my head on the wall. I much prefer showers with the showerhead on this ... cord or whatever you call it, that you cab move around - I don't want to wash my hair every time I take a shower!

But it's the water on your head that wakes you up? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×