S John

Small, unworthy things: part whatever

49 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But it's the water on your head that wakes you up? 

No, I usually shower in the evening. In the morning, just the water to wash my face and brushing my hair are enough to wake me up.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

But it's the water on your head that wakes you up? 

THis is probably more of a female/long-hair thing, but avoiding getting the hair wet if possible (i.e. you arent washing your hair) is a pretty big deal. Drying long hair can be a real drag

Posted (edited)

On showering in the evening and not in the morning. I just can't do that.

Too much of a sweater.

If I don't take a shower in the morning before facing the day, I just feel disgusting.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

THis is probably more of a female/long-hair thing, but avoiding getting the hair wet if possible (i.e. you arent washing your hair) is a pretty big deal. Drying long hair can be a real drag

Yup, that is the logic. I cut my hair significantly last year, but it still takes a long time to dry. If I were to make it wet in the morning, I would not be able to leave the house for the next few hours.

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

On showering in the evening and not in the morning. I just can't do that.

Too much of a sweater.

If I don't take a shower in the morning before facing the day, I just feel disgusting.

For me, it is the opposite. I feel disgusting if I go to bed (which is usually clean) after a day of activities without showering.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, Buckwheat said:

I don't really like showers with a showerhead fixed above my head on the wall. I much prefer showers with the showerhead on this ... cord or whatever you call it, that you cab move around - I don't want to wash my hair every time I take a shower!

It's all about the angles. I need water falling on me and I also need to not get my hair wet. Its a skill but its a perfectable one.

Went for a walk around my neighborhood this morning. I noticed a house that had a "No Soliciting" sign on the front window. I like to imagine that that person is from the UK and really hates lawyers...

I continue to be baffled by people's inability to exercise proper etiquette with elevators.  Not just with people who try to get on right away before seeing if anyone's getting off.  Another one that shocks me anew every time someone does it is the person who doesn't think to look if the arrow is pointing in the way they're headed.  It's like "I'm headed down, so obviously this elevator that just arrived must be headed that way."  Uh, no.  It doesn't quite work that way.  

23 hours ago, Triskele said:

I continue to be baffled by people's inability to exercise proper etiquette with elevators.  Not just with people who try to get on right away before seeing if anyone's getting off.  Another one that shocks me anew every time someone does it is the person who doesn't think to look if the arrow is pointing in the way they're headed.  It's like "I'm headed down, so obviously this elevator that just arrived must be headed that way."  Uh, no.  It doesn't quite work that way.  

Elevator etiquette is trickier than you might think. For example, I always thought letting women off first was the gentlemanly thing to do, but I've run into a ton of women over the years who actually want the men to get off first so they don't feel like they're being followed,

Whoever is nearest the door should get off first

47 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Not surprised at all.

Nicolas Cage apparently once went searching for the Holy Grail
(No, this isn't a synopsis for 'National Treasure 3')

https://ew.com/celebrity/2019/08/07/nicolas-cage-grail-quest/

Is anyone else capable of succeeding in such a quest?  This is our last, best chance to find it, and Mr. Cage deserves our support.

51 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Is anyone else capable of succeeding in such a quest?  This is our last, best chance to find it, and Mr. Cage deserves our support.

Well, I think Harrison Ford might have a change, if he was not busy crashing airplanes.

One particular grad student is the bane of my existence at the moment. I work in a molecular biology lab and spent a couple days planning an experiment with him.   Was helping him finish up a couple things and we'd penciled in to get the major part of it sorted today. Was down in the lab from 9-9:30 waiting for him before heading back to my office. Emailed and told him we'd need to put it off for another day unless we could start soon.

Anyway 2:30pm I get a frantic text from him saying he'd just got everything set up and started the ultra centrifuge spin. This is past the point of no return for an expensive experiment which takes minimum 8hrs, and has a couple days set up time. He knows this. We've done this before. The fuck is he thinking (he wasn't). Fuck! This guy is really really nice, but I swear he's just a fucking idiot.

Have finally managed to get out a couple hours late, am pissed. Have left him with detailed instructions. I really doubt he'll be out before midnight, and more than likely he'll completely screw it up. Hopefully he doesn't destroy anything else too expensive along the way.

Why do sky keep changing channel numbers? It's the most frustrating thing in the world. 

Why did it take so many years to realize I can buy chow mein noodles and a bag of stir fry vegetables and cut some pre- seasoned chicken into strips and do my own stir fry at home?  Good god!   And the sauces!   An entire aisle of marinades & stir fry sauces.  The Mongolian one pours like water, you can go through a bottle of it like an alcoholic.   The Szechuan one I respect but as an Away Sauce to be experienced as a taste bud tourist.  It's not a Home Team sauce I feel at home with.   Next on the sauce journey I will seek an audience with.... The General.   Or that Panda Express one, sweet chili something.   Fuck!

Oh, and for jury duty, just raise your hand and ask the lawyers a question as if you're legit interested in how things work.  That scares them more than anything.   They'll answer real polite, just as you were polite, but you'll be booted off that jury.   If I'm on a jury, it's because I'm there for the sex.

I avoided jury duty for years by just ignoring the summons.  I got into some minor trouble with that as they noticed and sent me a threat of a warrant.  I called in and they laughed and told me to forget it and they would 'take me off the list'.  Next summons I received I went in and landed a three week trial.  It was far more interesting than I would have thought.  It's much more theatrical than I assumed it would be in real life as opposed to legal/crime fiction.  My most recent summons was cancelled about a week after I received it.

Theda Baratheon, while you may have to show up on your day, you can get out of being on an actual jury pretty easily during voir dire.  You might not even get that far.  Many people just show up and read in the jury pool room and then go home at the end of the day.  Will your job pay you to go?  If not you can claim financial hardship and get out of it I think.