S John

Small, unworthy things: part whatever

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You guys know the Holy Grail is fictional right?

Not the Monty Python version. Also, I'm pretty sure Nick Cage is fictional. 

Edited by Martell Spy

On 8/4/2019 at 2:44 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I’ve been summoned to do Jury Service...dunno how to feel about it really 

9 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Oh, and for jury duty, just raise your hand and ask the lawyers a question as if you're legit interested in how things work.  That scares them more than anything.   They'll answer real polite, just as you were polite, but you'll be booted off that jury.   If I'm on a jury, it's because I'm there for the sex.

2 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I avoided jury duty for years by just ignoring the summons.  I got into some minor trouble with that as they noticed and sent me a threat of a warrant.  I called in and they laughed and told me to forget it and they would 'take me off the list'.  Next summons I received I went in and landed a three week trial.  It was far more interesting than I would have thought.  It's much more theatrical than I assumed it would be in real life as opposed to legal/crime fiction.  My most recent summons was cancelled about a week after I received it.

Theda Baratheon, while you may have to show up on your day, you can get out of being on an actual jury pretty easily during voir dire.  You might not even get that far.  Many people just show up and read in the jury pool room and then go home at the end of the day.  Will your job pay you to go?  If not you can claim financial hardship and get out of it I think. 

Ya'll be overthinking this:

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I avoided jury duty for years by just ignoring the summons.  I got into some minor trouble with that as they noticed and sent me a threat of a warrant.  I called in and they laughed and told me to forget it and they would 'take me off the list'.  Next summons I received I went in and landed a three week trial.  It was far more interesting than I would have thought.  It's much more theatrical than I assumed it would be in real life as opposed to legal/crime fiction.  My most recent summons was cancelled about a week after I received it.

Theda Baratheon, while you may have to show up on your day, you can get out of being on an actual jury pretty easily during voir dire.  You might not even get that far.  Many people just show up and read in the jury pool room and then go home at the end of the day.  Will your job pay you to go?  If not you can claim financial hardship and get out of it I think. 

I kind of want to go to it now. At first I couldn’t be bothered even though I know I legally have to. Now I think it will be an interesting experience. I’m not like...excited, but I’m not trying to elaborately plan how to get out of it...better to just...turn up and do it I guess. 

Not sure if Inkdaub is from the UK but that doesnt seem terribly accurate for this country (in terms of getting out of it i mean. Not actually getting called for a trial, yeah that is very possible)

Posted (edited)

I was summoned for jury duty a few months after I graduated high school and was 18. A part of me had been like, "really? I just started life, come on..." Thankfully because I was a student (college), I got out. I was summoned again about 3 years later. Was living in a different town and still a student, so I got out again and changed my license address to my university town. Haven't been summoned since and it's been awhile -- maybe having lived in bigger cities has helped? I think I recall my parents being summoned every few years in our small town... whatever.

I hope whatever you have to sit through is interesting, Theda! Sounds like you're going to find it (interesting stuff) anyway.

Edited by Lizard Queen

It doesn’t work like that in the UK, they don’t use voir dire for jury selection.  It’s more to do with randomisation than vetting.  

You just have to turn up and wait until they call your number.  If they call yours first you get to be foreperson (yay!). You can be challenged but they’d only do that if you were ineligible or connected to the case.  Even then you can then be assigned to a different case.

Good luck anyway Theda! :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I kind of want to go to it now. At first I couldn’t be bothered even though I know I legally have to. Now I think it will be an interesting experience. I’m not like...excited, but I’m not trying to elaborately plan how to get out of it...better to just...turn up and do it I guess. 

That's how I felt about it as well.  It was a good experience and I'm glad I got a trial.  That said, once was enough and I have no real interest in going back.  A coworker was picked for the grand jury and that would be interesting. 

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not sure if Inkdaub is from the UK but that doesnt seem terribly accurate for this country (in terms of getting out of it i mean. Not actually getting called for a trial, yeah that is very possible)

No I'm in the States and I'm probably forgetting more than a few details. 

I didn't know the UK didn't use voir dire.  We spent almost two days on it.

So about 10 days ago I lost my wallet here in the tube in London, it had a bunch of stuff that was quite important ( debit card, driver's license), and they've found it! I'm super relieved.

This trip has been more taxing than I thought it was going to be.

Not sold in Europe it seems... :-(

BTW I remember having seen Doritos flavor "Russian roulette" (I don't remember the very name): most are simply classic cheese Doritos, but some are higly spiced...

6 hours ago, Raja said:

So about 10 days ago I lost my wallet here in the tube in London, it had a bunch of stuff that was quite important ( debit card, driver's license), and they've found it! I'm super relieved.

This trip has been more taxing than I thought it was going to be.

Holy hell, i’m shocked! I once left my purse on the self check-out in London, realised before i even left the shop and it was gone by the time i got back.

But seriously, 10 days after leaving it on the tube of all places...you have really been exceedingly lucky!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Holy hell, i’m shocked! I once left my purse on the self check-out in London, realised before i even left the shop and it was gone by the time i got back. 

But seriously, 10 days after leaving it on the tube of all places...you have really been exceedingly lucky!

I know!  I left it on one of those seats on the platform - I was back there in like 5 minutes but twas gone! I filled out the online form for lost property on the same day  thinking there's no way I'll find it but I suppose someone turned it in. It's funny, on the TfL website they state that they find 1/3 things lost on the tube, and I totally didn't buy that! I'm just glad I locked my card and didn't cancel it.

Sorry about your purse though :(

Edited by Raja

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, Inkdaub said:

No I'm in the States and I'm probably forgetting more than a few details. 

I didn't know the UK didn't use voir dire.  We spent almost two days on it.

I'm a court reporter and recall vividly how much I hated reporting voir dire.  People are generally unaccustomed to speaking about themselves in front of large groups and they tend to clam up and mumble, making the court reporter's job a living nightmare.

Speaking of voir dire, interesting factoid: Jury selection in the O.J. Simpson case took over 300 DAYS.  The folks who made it onto the jury were sequestered during the trial under the watchful eyes of bailiffs (one of which was a good friend of mine.  Fun guy.)  

They should probably be sequestered again.  Like tell them it's for a reunion show on BET, but it'd really be so university level researchers can study them.  Let's get more of a look at how that bunch functions in a variety of situations.

The Summer is dumb for doing stuff outside.   It's not the Pepsi party in the street that Summer tries to make us think it is.  Can we skip seasons?   Or would you miss too much and not know what was going on if we jumped ahead to Autumn tomorrow.   I say pull the lever.

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I'm a court reporter and recall vividly how much I hated reporting voir dire.  People are generally unaccustomed to speaking about themselves in front of large groups and they tend to clam up and mumble, making the court reporter's job a living nightmare.

Speaking of voir dire, interesting factoid: Jury selection in the O.J. Simpson case took over 300 DAYS.  The folks who made it onto the jury were sequestered during the trial under the watchful eyes of bailiffs (one of which was a good friend of mine.  Fun guy.)  

Going to use this as a springboard for a nostalgic riff.

The OJ trial was the most vivid part of my childhood.  I remember being home pretending to be sick so I could watch it on TV with my grandfather.  Then the next week I was suspended from school and got to watch more live.  I remember watching Rosa Lopez testify, had read a couple John Grisham books, and loved being able to point out who was who.  I remember listening to a lot of foofighters, smashing pumpkins, and Alanis morrisette on my headphones at night thinking about it.   Wondering what it meant when jurors were replaced (at least one i remember)

Then at the end of the trial, they wheeled TV's into our classrooms (I was in 7th grade math) when the verdict was announced.  

This is what made me want to get into mock trial in highschool.  

Eta: at somepoint during that time my little brother won this pog slammer (wow has that phrase changed meanings over time) playing pingpong.

Edited by larrytheimp
Eta

There's a blade runner marathon screening in the first week of september close-ish to where I live and I am much excite.

28 minutes ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

You just live in a perfect place. ^_^

I didn't get to see 2049 on the big screen, so it should be fun :)