S John

Small, unworthy things: part whatever

Second car this year that’s a write off - I have the worst fucking luck - crashes this morning into a wall because the tire went - wasn’t even going fast around the bend, just must have hit something at just the wrong angle 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Second car this year that’s a write off - I have the worst fucking luck - crashes this morning into a wall because the tire went - wasn’t even going fast around the bend, just must have hit something at just the wrong angle 

Jesus, friend. I'm glad you're okay! That sounds rough. Sorry about your car though - car trouble/ repairs are my worst nightmares given that I know nothing about cars and it is expensive as fuck :grouphug:

On my end of Small things - My favourite pair of shoes are on their last legs, I've had them for about 9 years, so I am loathe to part with them but a random person told me I need new shoes today so they must *really* be showing their age.

Edit - I am almost tempted to post a picture of aforementioned shoes

Edited by Raja

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

In the Slovene edition, Neville's toad was inexplicably renamed Hilary (Hillary?). Which is also a pretty awful-sounding name.

Trevor-Hilary the gender bending toad :P did she wear a pantsuit?

Not putting on your blinker is a thing that deserves more shaming than it gets.  Extremely rude.  

Who among ye is guilty of this crime?  

5 hours ago, Triskele said:

Not putting on your blinker is a thing that deserves more shaming than it gets.  Extremely rude.  

Who among ye is guilty of this crime?  

I'm not guilty of this crime, Your Honor! I admit I had an accident in a roundabout because I did not put on the blinker... But read the story before throwing rotten tomatoes at me: I did not intend to leave the roundabout at the first exit but the exit immediatly following, so I did not put on the blinker. I was on the outer lane. My car was hit by the car behind me that was in the inner lane and wanted to take the first exit. The other driver thought that I forgot to put on my blinker and that I was about to exit! Hopefully we were driving slowly and there was only damages to the bumpers and the wheel covers. But as I wanted to leave only at the second exit, I did not need to put on the left blinker (just the right blinker at the second exit), nor going on the inner lane.

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Trevor-Hilary the gender bending toad :P did she wear a pantsuit?

I ... don't think so? :blink: But that's a pictionary sentence right there. "Hilary steals Harry's pants and chases him in circles around the quidditch court."

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Raise the Red Lantern is one of my alltime favorite movies. 

If that's the movie I'm thinking of then I watched it years ago in my Mandarin class. First time I could watch a Chinese movie without subtitles and actually follow the story. From what I remember it was excellent.

10 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

I'm not guilty of this crime, Your Honor! I admit I had an accident in a roundabout because I did not put on the blinker... But read the story before throwing rotten tomatoes at me: I did not intend to leave the roundabout at the first exit but the exit immediatly following, so I did not put on the blinker. I was on the outer lane. My car was hit by the car behind me that was in the inner lane and wanted to take the first exit. The other driver thought that I forgot to put on my blinker and that I was about to exit! Hopefully we were driving slowly and there was only damages to the bumpers and the wheel covers. But as I wanted to leave only at the second exit, I did not need to put on the left blinker (just the right blinker at the second exit), nor going on the inner lane.

I use a roundabout on my commute and I never use a blinker unless I'm turning at the first option, since I take the 2nd 9 times out of 10, it's no blinker for me as I feel a blinker would likely cause the guys waiting at the first left to dart in front of me.

Anyways I just go aggressive in these things, I look left and then haul ass into the circle if noones too close, if someone's lollygagging on my right it's probably gonna be bumpers one day, but so far it's been over a year without crushing a subcompact. I treat the whole situation like roller derby:D

3 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

If that's the movie I'm thinking of then I watched it years ago in my Mandarin class. First time I could watch a Chinese movie without subtitles and actually follow the story. From what I remember it was excellent.

I try to watch all of Gong Li movies. There was a time when she was so cool to me I couldn't get enough of her. She's in Singapore and half a billionaire now like a lot of other people there. Anyways the post about floating lanterns made me think of that movie.

Went to see the demolition of the remaining towers of the old Didcot power station today (UK) and got a bit more excitement than we had bargained for when it caused a pylon near us to blow and left a swathe of South Oxfordshire without power.

Fortunately nobody was seriously hurt and we were unscathed.

This slightly shaky video (not by us) gives a good impression of what happened (see about 2 minutes in).

22 hours ago, Raja said:

On my end of Small things - My favourite pair of shoes are on their last legs, I've had them for about 9 years, so I am loathe to part with them but a random person told me I need new shoes today so they must *really* be showing their age.

Edit - I am almost tempted to post a picture of aforementioned shoes

How??? My favorite pair of shoes bit the dust yesterday when I realized I had worn an actual hole through the sole, and they're less than a year old. And almost- hiking boots (North Face!). I mean, I like walking, but I also wasn't like scaling the Alps in them. Aaaans they don't seem to have them in stock anywhere Ive looked anymore. 

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

How??? My favorite pair of shoes bit the dust yesterday when I realized I had worn an actual hole through the sole, and they're less than a year old. And almost- hiking boots (North Face!). I mean, I like walking, but I also wasn't like scaling the Alps in them. Aaaans they don't seem to have them in stock anywhere Ive looked anymore. 

Hah - I dunno? To be fair, I had two of these exact same pairs ( different colours) that I wore all the time, and they both pretty much gave out within 1/2 months of each other ( also, I'm totally looking them up on amazon right now to see if I can snag another pair)

Less than a year is impressive though. Maybe you just walk *way* more than me.

Even my best quality shoes don’t seem to last more than 6 months (and like Datepalm, i’m talking about holes in the sole etc. Not just looking a bit worn out). 9 years seems incredible to me!

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Even my best quality shoes don’t seem to last more than 6 months (and like Datepalm, i’m talking about holes in the sole etc. Not just looking a bit worn out). 9 years seems incredible to me!

Gonna quit my job & start a youtube series about how to make shoes last a decade. Y'all better subscribe.

Posted (edited)

How much walking do you all do, I've never had a pair of shoes worn through the sole before the uppers were fucked.  My work shoes normally last about 5-6 years.  Though come to think of it my wife always wears her soles though, do women walk differently or something?

15 hours ago, Datepalm said:

TBH if they have worn through in a year, you might want to try some different ones?

Edited by BigFatCoward

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How much walking do you all do, I've never had a pair of shoes worn through the sole before the uppers were fucked.  My work shoes normally last about 5-6 years.  Though come to think of it my wife always wears her soles though, do women walk differently or something?

TBH if they have worn through in a year, you might want to try some different ones?

Yeah that's a good point...

Usually the uppers go for me too, but these have been really great in all conditions in that regard and held on really well, until this. 

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The black work dress shoes I have on atm are at least six years old and look pretty good. Their replacement, however, was purchased a few weeks back. They're not long for this household anymore (I donate all my good dress cloths and shoes to a local charity).

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Seems to me we need to address the vast gender gap in how long shoes last, cuz yeah, the last pair of sneakers I had lasted maybe a dozen years.  I mean, they were literally falling apart by the end, but still.  Since those literally were destroyed, I haven't gotten any new sneakers - just have a couple pairs of dress shoes and a pair of sandals - but this smacks of grave misogyny going on.  If a pair of any footwear lasted me less than a year I'd be outraged!