Small, unworthy things: part whatever

S John

I was getting really sad because summer was over and I wasn’t going to get to do all the things I was telling myself I should do more of in summer because this is the first summer where I’ve totally really loved the heat and tanned a bit and loved the long warm days and wore summer clothes. 

So now it’s raining a lot and is grey and the days are getting shorter and I was getting soooooo sad and complaining about how quickly winter comes about when my friend turns to me and is like SIÂN...ITS THE SEASON OF THE PUMPKIN SPICE COMING UP and I can’t BELIEVE my GOTH ASS FORGOT THAT AUTUMN EXISTS!!!! 

Pretty orange leaves on the ground!!! Days that aren’t too hot so I can now go for my 4/5 hour walks again, PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!!!!! And...HALLOWEEN!!!!! 

And now I’m feeling super excited for Autumn and now have to figure out my Autumn clothes which def suit my aesthetic more than summer. But you know what? I loved this summer and am pretty happy about that. 

Oh man I’m so excited about pumpkin spice lattes - ugh. Wrapped up in a nice coat, with a nice scarf, visiting my fave city to see friends and walking in the evening where it’s dark and the street lights are all pretty and up and getting a PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE!!!!! uuuuuuughhhhh. I forgot how dreeeeeeeeamy the night + streetlights can be 

Man... I wish summer was over.  We have more in store.  I heard on the radio this morning that we've had 48 100+ degree days so far this summer (that's ~ 38C for the Euros) with today looking likely to be the 49th.  The real bummer about that is that on the days where it doesn't top 100, it's still like 99 degrees outside so its pretty small consolation.  I sometimes find myself daydreaming about weather where you need a light jacket to go outside.  It'll start to cool down in a few weeks. but probably won't be seeing jacket weather until November.

I was recently in a very minor traffic collision. No injuries, minor damage, the other party was 100% at fault. Sorting out repair and a replacement vehicle through insurance has been generally fine. One thing that's made me pretty uncomfortable though; my insurance company keeps pressing me to make a personal injury claim. They keep saying I don't need to have an actual diagnosed injury, just "general discomfort," and they seem very surprised and taken aback when I say that I'm absolutely fine and have no need for personal injury compensation. Is it just the done thing now that people claim for injury whether they were actually injured or not?

12 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I was recently in a very minor traffic collision. No injuries, minor damage, the other party was 100% at fault. Sorting out repair and a replacement vehicle through insurance has been generally fine. One thing that's made me pretty uncomfortable though; my insurance company keeps pressing me to make a personal injury claim. They keep saying I don't need to have an actual diagnosed injury, just "general discomfort," and they seem very surprised and taken aback when I say that I'm absolutely fine and have no need for personal injury compensation. Is it just the done thing now that people claim for injury whether they were actually injured or not?

Injuries don't always show up right away. I was rear ended at a stop light a few years back and felt fine. About a month later my back started to hurt. Best to make the claim, get a doctor's trip on the house and call it a day if they don't see anything.  

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Injuries don't always show up right away. I was rear ended at a stop light a few years back and felt fine. About a month later my back started to hurt. Best to make the claim, get a doctor's trip on the house and call it a day if they don't see anything.  

I'm in the UK, so even if I wanted to get checked out there aren't any medical bills to cover. And it's been a pretty well-covered phenomenon that more and more people claiming compensation for undiagnosed whiplash, or similar claims, are driving up the cost of insurance. Not sure I really want to be a part of that.

21 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Is it just the done thing now that people claim for injury whether they were actually injured or not?

Pretty much. It's shitty but I don't see the point of giving up free money that will just go to someone else. You taking a stand isn't going to make insurance prices stop going up.

6 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I'm in the UK, so even if I wanted to get checked out there aren't any medical bills to cover. And it's been a pretty well-covered phenomenon that more and more people claiming compensation for undiagnosed whiplash, or similar claims, are driving up the cost of insurance. Not sure I really want to be a part of that.

Godless Eurocommie! 

7 hours ago, Liffguard said:

When I got knocked off my bike I asked their insurance company to just cover my physio bills. They said no so I had to sue. I got 4 grand. 

I have had it with sandwich inflation.

Back in my day, a sandwich was something that you might realistically put in your mouth.  Nowadays sandwiches are at least 4" tall, more likely 6".

Dagnabbit!  I'm no gluten-phobe but recently I find myself discarding the bun so I can just eat the filling with knife and fork. 

Maybe I look odd doing this but it's also pretty odd to smash the living shit out of one's burger before attempting to eat it.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, litechick said:

I have had it with sandwich inflation.

Back in my day, a sandwich was something that you might realistically put in your mouth.  Nowadays sandwiches are at least 4" tall, more likely 6".

Dagnabbit!  I'm no gluten-phobe but recently I find myself discarding the bun so I can just eat the filling with knife and fork. 

Maybe I look odd doing this but it's also pretty odd to smash the living shit out of one's burger before attempting to eat it.

I'm with you 100% on this. My fix has been to get rid of the top bun/bread, and make it an open faced sandwich. I am not a snake, I can't just disconnect my jaw to eat!

I just came back from a summer course I attended yesterday, and in that place it was still 100 % summery weather, only the evenings slightly colder. I feared I was coming home to a cold gloomy foggy autumn and am happy that it is still sunny and warm and summery here too.

Autumn is so rainy and foggy and sunless. Also summer clothes are so much easier and more convenient and lighter.

Just sharing these photos that were compiled of some of the worlds most beautiful libraries. Each of these are magnificent, ornate, temples of knowledge, holy ground I like to consider them.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/photographer-travels-globe-capture-worlds-slideshow-wp-151728478/photo-p-biblioteca-comunale-fermo-italy-photo-151728216.html

I buried our cat yesterday, it sucked.......yesterday my wife was walking around the block with the neighbor and our 7 month old son.  They encountered 2 loose dogs on their walk, but didn't think much of them at the time.  By the time they made it back to our house they saw the dogs again, this time in our/our neighbors yards and with something in their mouths.  My wife quickly realized it was our cat and her and our neighbor she was walking with began yelling at the dogs, they dropped the cat and came towards my wife aggressively, onto our property, onto our driveway and even followed her into the garage as she ran inside with our son while the neighbor got the cat.  The vet is a 3min walk from our house or a 30second drive, they got the kid in the car ASAP and drove over but by the time they got there she was gone.

She was my first and only cat, and she absolutely drove me nuts on many occasions, but she was apart of our family and we loved her dearly.

RIP Meeka, you were a good cat and you're already missed very much

55 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

I buried our cat yesterday, it sucked.......yesterday my wife was walking around the block with the neighbor and our 7 month old son.  They encountered 2 loose dogs on their walk, but didn't think much of them at the time.  By the time they made it back to our house they saw the dogs again, this time in our/our neighbors yards and with something in their mouths.  My wife quickly realized it was our cat and her and our neighbor she was walking with began yelling at the dogs, they dropped the cat and came towards my wife aggressively, onto our property, onto our driveway and even followed her into the garage as she ran inside with our son while the neighbor got the cat.  The vet is a 3min walk from our house or a 30second drive, they got the kid in the car ASAP and drove over but by the time they got there she was gone.

She was my first and only cat, and she absolutely drove me nuts on many occasions, but she was apart of our family and we loved her dearly.

RIP Meeka, you were a good cat and you're already missed very much

Damn, that's rough.  You have my sincerest sympathies. 

Had our Drs Appt and we're having a boy!  Now just need to finish the basement, get new furniture, and redecorate the baby's room how mama wants (she wants it to be Star Wars themed.... glad I locked that one down).  4 months of weekends and I think I got it.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:21 PM, aceluby said:

Had our Drs Appt and we're having a boy!  Now just need to finish the basement, get new furniture, and redecorate the baby's room how mama wants (she wants it to be Star Wars themed.... glad I locked that one down).  4 months of weekends and I think I got it.

Congrats. I foresee a child who will be getting a baseball glove for his fifth birthday.

Archived