Danys campaign

On 5/15/2018 at 4:53 PM, Ylath's Snout said:

Tyrion had made mistakes before.

I suspect that Slaver Bay is a big problem for Martine. Ending slavery in a way that will endure Dany leaving for Westeros is going to take a lot of time and hard work. Meaning the Dany will have to miss the finale in T7K. Or she can just haul ass and leave the whole Meereen story kinda hollow.

I'd rather not, I like sleeping from time to time.

Has he? He thinks with his dick sometimes and is an alcoholic, but when it comes to the game, his decisions have always been flawless.

GRRM will figure it out, in sure

Lol

I really don't agree with your take on this. The fact that they reverted to slavery show that despite Dany being in neighborhood with her three dragon failed to make her reforms lasting.

Interesting, agree to disagree.

Not after she wins and if they go full Dothraki on a already wartorn country Dany will earn everyone's hate as she tries to rule a smoldering charnel house. Keep in mind that the Dothraki have wiped out whole cities in the past. That makes the Rains of Castamere look pretty quaint.

I'm saying that Dany won't let the Dothraki go full on after the war. After Khal Ogos defeat in the lamb man land, Dany stopped Drogos men from their rape/murder sport. If Dany can stop them as the wife of a khal, no reason to think she can't stop it as a khal/queen (with an army and dragons)

As far as hate, the Dothraki are feared and disliked. However Westerosi have ancient hated enemies like Ironborn or Wildlings, or current hated enemies like Frey and Bolton. There's always a bigger fish.

I am doubtful of Illyrio and Varys evaluation seeing as the Dany-Drogo match might have been nothing but a smokescreen to hide Aegon while the T7K rips itself apart. Also AFAIK now of them are military men so ehhh.

Jorah has some credibility seeing as he has fought in both Westeros and Essos. But plenty of characters seem to overestimate the fighting prowes of whoever they are fighting alongside.

From GoT Arya III: "So they do, but every northerner is worth ten of these southron swords, so you can sleep easy."

In the end I think she would bring along Dothraki if she could but I think in the end they would cost her much more than what they could win her in the field.

They're not military commanders. But the GC are, and they did expect to meet with Dothraki.

"The fat man's plan? The one that changes every time the moon turns? First Viserys Targaryen was to join us with fifty thousand Dothraki screamers at his back. Then the Beggar King was dead, and...

Jorahs quote(   They are better riders than any knight, utterly fearless, and their bows outrange ours. In the Seven Kingdoms, most archers fight on foot, from behind a shieldwall or a barricade of sharpened stakes. The Dothraki fire from horseback, charging or retreating, it makes no matter, they are full as deadly . . . and there are so many of them, my lady. Your lord husband alone counts forty thousand mounted warriors in his khalasar."

"Is that truly so many?"

"Your brother Rhaegar brought as many men to the Trident," Ser Jorah admitted, "but of that number, no more than a tenth were knights. The rest were archers, freeriders, and foot soldiers armed with spears and pikes. When Rhaegar fell, many threw down their weapons and fled the field. How long do you imagine such a rabble would stand against the charge of forty thousand screamers howling for blood? How well would boiled leather jerkins and mailed shirts protect them when the arrows fall like rain?" ) is an in depth analysis on the Dothraki. Jorys was a cute story to comfort a scared nine year old.

I'm in awe of the power of the Dothraki, like the Mongols, Magyars or any other "steppe barbarians", I think theyre coming to stay

5 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Has he? He thinks with his dick sometimes and is an alcoholic, but when it comes to the game, his decisions have always been flawless.

The Trystane-Myrcella match hasn't stopped the Martells from wishing death on House Lannister and they are still scheming to achieve that. It was a short term stop-gap that resulted in his niece getting maimed. After the Purple Wedding he was totally outplayed by Cersei and would have died if it wasn't for Varys.

Not saying he is dumb but he isn't flawless.

6 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

If Dany can stop them as the wife of a khal, no reason to think she can't stop it as a khal/queen (with an army and dragons)

It's a problem of scale. If she unites all the Dothraki she would have to put a lot of effort and gold into keeping them happy. Gold and effort that the rest of her realm would also be in dire need of. If in a post-Dany conquest the Dothraki spread tough out all of T7K policing them, to make sure there are no problems would be a huge undertaking.  She and her dragons can't be everywhere and she would have to deal with other problems as well.

Also this is GRRM and nothing is ever easy in his world.

6 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

As far as hate, the Dothraki are feared and disliked. However Westerosi have ancient hated enemies like Ironborn or Wildlings, or current hated enemies like Frey and Bolton. There's always a bigger fish.

But wouldn't the Dothraki be the big fish in this case? The Frey might be scum but they are Andal scum.

----------

Regarding Jorah, sure they are impressive in the field but his information regarding the quality of Westeros fighting men is years out of date. Every army that played a part in tWo5K might be battered but they are battle hardened men that would be fighting to defend their land against people that commit one of the worst crimes imaginable.  Rhaegar's army was fighting for the son of mad king right to kidnap women that were traveling to a wedding. I feel pretty confident in saying that there is a difference in moral there.

If the dothraki actually are invincible in the field then most armies will just retract inside their castles and keeps.  Trying to siege a castle during winter would be miserable, even more so when considering that Danys supply lines are likely to be a complete mess.

Unleashing her dragons could crack the castles but is probable to take out everyone inside including non-combatants and all the food. Not really a great plan for establishing a solid government or to avoid starving to death in what is bound to be a completely horrific winter.

On a side note. I don't think Dany should rely to much on her dragons during any conquest that takes place during winter. The cold is dangerous as is but add the extra strain that flying at high speed completely unshielded would and you have a pretty dangerous recipe. Dany dying of pneumonia a few weeks into her conquest would be pretty goofy.

38 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

While I can see the Dothraki may not have the patience to wait out a siege, bear in mind that they will not be alone in a siege.  The Unsullied have the patience of Job and the discipline to maintain the pressure on any lord who chooses to hide behind his castle walls.  And of course, they have three dragons on their side.  No castle can defend against a dragon, much less three.  Just ask Harren and his sons.

Actually, the people of Westeros would welcome a conqueror like Daenerys Targaryen.  She is a much better ruler and leader than what they had in Robert, Joffrey, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, and Roose Bolton.  I do not think there will be much resistance at all.  The situation is already pretty bad in Westeros, the ironborn are on the raid, the wildlings crossed the wall and about to raid the warden of the north, KL is bankrupt.  Dany will have had a victory over the evil slavers under her belt by the time she arrives, and the Westeros smallfolk will certainly see that as a positive for a woman so royal, so god-like to bother caring about the welfare of the lowliest of the low, slaves, when their own Baratheon/Lannister/Tully/Stark leaders have proven themselves to the contrary.  Volantis will be in Dany's pocket before she leaves for Westeros and very likely a few more of the Free Cities.  Westeros will need help from these cities because it will not be able to feed itself during the winter.  Food will have to come from somewhere and east is the only source.  The slaves of Volantis will win their freedom, Benerro and his church practically worship Dany.  They will help Westeros if Dany asks, they won't do it for Aegon and absolutely not for Tommen.  Jon's fans and Dany haters find it hard to admit, but Westeros needs Daenerys Targaryen.  Jorah believes in Dany.  Barristan, who has seen and served his many share of rulers, believes in Dany.  Tyrion, if he has any brain cells left after the alcohol, will also believe in Dany.  And if Gilly somehow makes it to Meereen, like some here hope she does, will meet Dany and be impressed.  

17 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

While I can see the Dothraki may not have the patience to wait out a siege, bear in mind that they will not be alone in a siege.  The Unsullied have the patience of Job and the discipline to maintain the pressure on any lord who chooses to hide behind his castle walls. 

Besieging a castle requires skills (building siege towers and projectile launchers, searching for a weak point of a wall, digging mines, etc.) that the Unsullieds do not master.

Anyway if Winter is on Westeros no one will besiege anyone. Medieval wars were paused during winter for a reason…

2 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

While I can see the Dothraki may not have the patience to wait out a siege, bear in mind that they will not be alone in a siege.  The Unsullied have the patience of Job and the discipline to maintain the pressure on any lord who chooses to hide behind his castle walls.

Sure Dany's army can take down castles if well supplied. But I am assuming that she will invade during winter and that changes things lot. It is in no way a 1-1o-1 comparison but just look at the Winter War. Finland punched way above its weight-class because of troops accustomed to the climate and terrain while Stalin intentionally use troops from the south of the Soviet Union it reduce the risk of troops deserting. Lots of other factors play into that war but still, fighting a war in winter when you aren't accustomed suck real bad. Siege war can suck real bad too. Seems like Dany is in for some double suck.

9 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

And of course, they have three dragons on their side.  No castle can defend against a dragon, much less three.  Just ask Harren and his sons.

Balerion did that, the largest dragon ever mention under Targ control that had about 100 year on Dany's dragons. So I'm unsure of whether they could do a repeat of Harrenhal.

Any way I feel that there are plenty of logistical and PR reason not to use your dragons for keep-busting. You risk destroying all the food leaving the local to starve and people are unlikely to forget about her father is she is seen to be going fire-mad to. 

17 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Actually, the people of Westeros would welcome a conqueror like Daenerys Targaryen.  She is a much better ruler and leader than what they had in Robert, Joffrey, Jon Snow, Robb Stark, and Roose Bolton...

Sure if she gets her PR right she might be able to waltz right in without as much resistance but only if her PR is flawless. That is why I don't think she should bring the Dothraki, they are a huge PR liability. 

However I am very certain that is not how things will go: GRRM seems to have written this book series as a deconstruction of overly simplistic Tolkie-style fantasy. Tearing down tropes like "the monarch as the chosen one", "kights are heroic and just" and "war is glorious" just for "a chosen one monarch" to claim the throne based on her special blood while everyone is just super happy to see a return to absolute monarchy would be pretty weird.

Dany might win but it won't be clean, easy or nice.

34 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

While I can see the Dothraki may not have the patience to wait out a siege, bear in mind that they will not be alone in a siege.  The Unsullied have the patience of Job and the discipline to maintain the pressure on any lord who chooses to hide behind his castle walls.  And of course, they have three dragons on their side.  No castle can defend against a dragon, much less three.  Just ask Harren and his sons.

Very true.  The Dothraki will get bored and high tail it back home to their grasslands.  The support of the dragons and the unsullied changes the game though.  Agreed.

7 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Sure if she gets her PR right she might be able to waltz right in without as much resistance but only if her PR is flawless. That is why I don't think she should bring the Dothraki, they are a huge PR liability. 

I can see that too.  Just like letting the wildlings into the north will be a big negative PR for Stannis.  The Dothraki might do the same for Dany.  But you know, the hardest thing in preparing for war is getting enough faithful soldiers to follow you into battle.  So maybe Illyrio, Drogo, Viserys, and Varys considered the positive outweighed the bad.  Perception can always be changed.  The Dothraki are not going to take up permanent residence in Westeros.  That was never the plan.  The plan was to give back a gift to King Viserys III from the khalasar.  The gift is Westeros, tied up in a neat bow.   I don't think Dany has to have the Dothraki to take back Westeros.  The logistics of taking that many men and horses on a boat across the ocean is too difficult.  

17 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

The Dothraki are not going to take up permanent residence in Westeros.  That was never the plan.

But why would they fight for Dany now if not the promise of plunder and/or land? Both of those brings with them a lot of long term problems for Dany.

19 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

The logistics of taking that many men and horses on a boat across the ocean is too difficult.

Yep, more so considering the winter storms that seems to be a thing along Westeros' coasts.

35 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

The logistics of taking that many men and horses on a boat across the ocean is too difficult.  

This has been debated in deep in an old thread. Taking 8000+ Unsullieds, plus ?0000 Dothrakis warriors, each with 2 or 3 horses (minimum!) would take thousands of ships – based on the Mongol invasions of Japan (about 30 warriors with their horses in one boat).

Logistics is simply out of Danaerys' reach.

41 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

This has been debated in deep in an old thread. Taking 8000+ Unsullieds, plus ?0000 Dothrakis warriors, each with 2 or 3 horses (minimum!) would take thousands of ships – based on the Mongol invasions of Japan (about 30 warriors with their horses in one boat).

Logistics is simply out of Danaerys' reach.

I’m no math nerd like Scully is, but I just fiddled with the numbers, allowing for 1.5 horses for each Dothraki, and 25 crewmen per ship, in addition to 8,000 unsullied and 10,000 Dothraki themselves, and that is minimum 1,834 ships (maybe 2016?) That’s a lot of trees and fabric sails... and horse poop :blink:

5 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The Trystane-Myrcella match hasn't stopped the Martells from wishing death on House Lannister and they are still scheming to achieve that. It was a short term stop-gap that resulted in his niece getting maimed. After the Purple Wedding he was totally outplayed by Cersei and would have died if it wasn't for Varys.

Not saying he is dumb but he isn't flawless.

Tywin approved. But sending Myrcella away was really to weaken Cersei so he can take full command at Blackwater, which he did and won.He was pretty powerless as a prisoner, still went through all options.

It's a problem of scale. If she unites all the Dothraki she would have to put a lot of effort and gold into keeping them happy. Gold and effort that the rest of her realm would also be in dire need of. If in a post-Dany conquest the Dothraki spread tough out all of T7K policing them, to make sure there are no problems would be a huge undertaking.  She and her dragons can't be everywhere and she would have to deal with other problems as well.

Also this is GRRM and nothing is ever easy in his world.

But wouldn't the Dothraki be the big fish in this case? The Frey might be scum but they are Andal scum.

Dany knows about mouths to feed. Her people follow her army to the frustration of her generals. She figures it out.

Not just Dothraki but the Ghiscari too (and wildlings). They'll be fine, they're human like Westerosi and have similar feudal overloards. Dany won't have to govern them all, that's why the 7 kingdoms are split.

I don't see why not being an andal has anything to do with it(especially since northerners aren't andal). But nah, Freys are the worst. The Dothraki are no friend but no enemy either.

Regarding Jorah, sure they are impressive in the field but his information regarding the quality of Westeros fighting men is years out of date. Every army that played a part in tWo5K might be battered but they are battle hardened men that would be fighting to defend their land against people that commit one of the worst crimes imaginable.  Rhaegar's army was fighting for the son of mad king right to kidnap women that were traveling to a wedding. I feel pretty confident in saying that there is a difference in moral there.

If the dothraki actually are invincible in the field then most armies will just retract inside their castles and keeps.  Trying to siege a castle during winter would be miserable, even more so when considering that Danys supply lines are likely to be a complete mess.

Unleashing her dragons could crack the castles but is probable to take out everyone inside including non-combatants and all the food. Not really a great plan for establishing a solid government or to avoid starving to death in what is bound to be a completely horrific winter.

On a side note. I don't think Dany should rely to much on her dragons during any conquest that takes place during winter. The cold is dangerous as is but add the extra strain that flying at high speed completely unshielded would and you have a pretty dangerous recipe. Dany dying of pneumonia a few weeks into her conquest would be pretty goofy.

Rheagars army was probably weaker then a modern one, maybe not, either way it doesn't diminish the Dothraki.

Siegeing a castle in the snow sucks, but it can still happen. Stannis is looking fearsome (though I think he'll lose) and Selmy knows his way around castles, Jorah, Tyrion and Marwyn too.

Targaryens can't get sick (except for all the ones that did) lol ya, needs something more then Dothraki drab and one sandal.

Logistics, how fun. How narrow is this sea? It took Tyrion only a few days I think. The ships can make multiple voyages, stretching out the landing for a week or two

7 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

I can see that too.  Just like letting the wildlings into the north will be a big negative PR for Stannis.  The Dothraki might do the same for Dany.  But you know, the hardest thing in preparing for war is getting enough faithful soldiers to follow you into battle.  So maybe Illyrio, Drogo, Viserys, and Varys considered the positive outweighed the bad.  Perception can always be changed.  The Dothraki are not going to take up permanent residence in Westeros.  That was never the plan.  The plan was to give back a gift to King Viserys III from the khalasar.  The gift is Westeros, tied up in a neat bow.   I don't think Dany has to have the Dothraki to take back Westeros.  The logistics of taking that many men and horses on a boat across the ocean is too difficult.  

Queen Daenerys has no plans to take the Dothraki across the Narrow Sea.  The Unsullied are her main troops.  There will be no sacking.  As far as logistics, if it comes down to that (and I don't think it will), there are enough ships in Essos to take The Unsullied and her dragons to Westeros.  I suppose her armies will have increased by then.  Many of the men she rescued from slavery are dedicated and training for military duties.  They will be experienced in the art of warfare by the time the Battle of Fire concludes.   That is all Daenerys needs and her dragons.  

Daenerys will use the Dothraki to take control of Essos.  Their purpose has nothing to do with Westeros.  

7 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

But why would they fight for Dany now if not the promise of plunder and/or land? Both of those brings with them a lot of long term problems for Dany.

Yep, more so considering the winter storms that seems to be a thing along Westeros' coasts.

Like I said in the above, I don't believe the purpose of the Dothraki has anything to do with Westeros.  But let's examine the logistics for the sake of this talk.  Just because there are 40K Dothraki riders does not mean they will all accompany Daenerys on her return to Westeros.  It's not take all or take nothing.  She may take a few thousand to add a cavalry element to her armies.  She most certainly can take some of them with her.  The bulk of the Dothraki forces will remain behind.  In terms of dealing with with logistics, do not forget that this young girl led a khalasar to the safety of Vaes Tolorro, outsmarted the warlocks of Qarth, and rescued the eunuch infantrymen from their masters.  Logistics might overwhelm someone like Robert Baratheon and Jon  Snow but if anyone can deal with the problems of getting armies halfway across the world, I will put my money on Khaleesi. 

Look what Stannis did, march an army through the winter snows to attack a fortifed castle, brought his own men to the point of desperation that they had to resort to cannibalism to survive.  Is that smart logistics?  Bringing in more mouths to feed, mouths whose loyalties are questionable at best, from across the wall was not smart logistics.  Bowen Marsh actually had the right of it in terms of supply logistics.  And don't even get me started on the logistics of the mission to Hardhome.  I think Daenerys will do much better than those boys.

7 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Dany knows about mouths to feed. Her people follow her army to the frustration of her generals. She figures it out.

That is very optimistic to put it mildly.

I don't see why not being an andal has anything to do with it(especially since northerners aren't andal). But nah, Freys are the worst. The Dothraki are no friend but no enemy either.

Maybe I should have used the word foreigners. The Freys have a horrifically bad reputation but just because someone hates them doesn't mean they would find the Dothraki likeable. "Better the devil you know" is a saying for a reason.

Not just Dothraki but the Ghiscari too (and wildlings). They'll be fine, they're human like Westerosi and have similar feudal overloards. Dany won't have to govern them all, that's why the 7 kingdoms are split.

The Targs had occasional problems ruling of just T7K. Dany "ruling" all or even some of Essos as well is a pipe dream.

Logistics, how fun. How narrow is this sea? It took Tyrion only a few days I think. The ships can make multiple voyages, stretching out the landing for a week or two

Spending weeks building up a beachhead is just asking for trouble. If you only land a part of your army then you risk it getting wiped out by a counter-attack. Not to mention the extra time you spend getting the army across the sea will be used by your enemies to get ready by entering new alliances and so on. Going back and forth several times could allow for several attack on your navy by hostile fleets. Not to mention how bad the weather is during winter. 

Losing a ship for a one time landing is bad, losing it when you plan on on it going back and forth several times mean you whole time-table is thrown out of whack and the remaining ship are at risk for longer.

Sure you'd need fewer ship but you risk a lot by using such a plan.

Siegeing a castle in the snow sucks, but it can still happen. Stannis is looking fearsome (though I think he'll lose)

It doesn't "suck" unless you are properly equipped and well supplied. It is suicide that will decimate your army because of starvation and exposure. Stannis is committing a army wide suicide if he plans on using convention siege tactics at Winterfell.

4 hours ago, Son of Man said:

Look what Stannis did, march an army through the winter snows to attack a fortifed castle, brought his own men to the point of desperation that they had to resort to cannibalism to survive.  Is that smart logistics?  Bringing in more mouths to feed, mouths whose loyalties are questionable at best, from across the wall was not smart logistics. 

Seems like we are on the same page. The Dothraki will cause Dany a lot of problems if she brings along any more outside of lats say her own khalasar.

2 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

That is very optimistic to put it mildly.

Maybe I should have used the word foreigners. The Freys have a horrifically bad reputation but just because someone hates them doesn't mean they would find the Dothraki likeable. "Better the devil you know" is a saying for a reason.

The Targs had occasional problems ruling of just T7K. Dany "ruling" all or even some of Essos as well is a pipe dream.

It is what it is, Dany won't let her children starve. Feeding her people is always on the forefront of her thoughts.

Wartime make queer bedfolks. The Westerosi never struck me as racist, being foreign shouldn't be a deal breaker.  And I think the average northerners would  make a deal with the devil if it meant fighting Frey.

I don't think it's unrealistic. Especially with dragons loyal lords and glass candals

Spending weeks building up a beachhead is just asking for trouble. If you only land a part of your army then you risk it getting wiped out by a counter-attack. Not to mention the extra time you spend getting the army across the sea will be used by your enemies to get ready by entering new alliances and so on. Going back and forth several times could allow for several attack on your navy by hostile fleets. Not to mention how bad the weather is during winter. 

Losing a ship for a one time landing is bad, losing it when you plan on on it going back and forth several times mean you whole time-table is thrown out of whack and the remaining ship are at risk for longer.

Sure you'd need fewer ship but you risk a lot by using such a plan.

It's a risk, but Griff takes three castles when the GC lands and waits for his whole army to be assembled before heading to storms end. Then again Griff's army isnt as big as Danny's.

It doesn't "suck" unless you are properly equipped and well supplied. It is suicide that will decimate your army because of starvation and exposure. Stannis is committing a army wide suicide if he plans on using convention siege tactics at Winterfell.

They'll figure it out, castles get sieged all the time. Dany will have wise men with her, and if they can't figure it out, Drogon can. I know that hurts her pr campaign, but public relations don't build thrones. Fire and blood does

11 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

The ships can make multiple voyages, stretching out the landing for a week or two

And it would take MONTHS to get her army gathered… Anyway I suggest you take a look to the Crusades history: you'll learn that medieval navigation (before invention of the magnetic compass) wasn't exactly reliable; delays and forced landings far from the original goal were commonplace.

Not to mention that each small contingent landed would be in an extremely vulnerable position…

39 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Dany won't let her children starve. Feeding her people is always on the forefront of her thoughts.

Feed your followers and make sure that the people you intend to conquer don't starve or invade during a winter. It is one ot the other.

40 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Wartime make queer bedfolks. The Westerosi never struck me as racist, being foreign shouldn't be a deal breaker.  And I think the average northerners would  make a deal with the devil if it meant fighting Frey

It might work out but it give Dany's opponens more ammunition in a PR war. BoB shows the effectiveness of guerrilla warfare, Dany getting a bad rap would only fuel that sort of thing.

If you wanna talk about "strange bedfellows" then the Northerner might as well ally with the Frey (after Walder and some more get punished for the RW) to help keep those nut bag Targs and their fire-fetish out of the North. Doubly so if Dany become associated the Red God, aka that one faith that spits of westeros religious tolerances and bruns septs and Hearth Trees with glee.

51 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I don't think it's unrealistic. Especially with dragons loyal lords and glass candals

Dany keep control of all three dragons and their riders is not a given. -cough cough- The Dance of the Dragons -cough cough-

54 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

They'll figure it out, castles get sieged all the time. Dany will have wise men with her,

... not really a great argument there. 

14 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Not to mention that each small contingent landed would be in an extremely vulnerable position…

Yeps, that is what we EU4 players like to call a stack-wipe.

1 hour ago, Nowy Tends said:

And it would take MONTHS to get her army gathered… Anyway I suggest you take a look to the Crusades history: you'll learn that medieval navigation (before invention of the magnetic compass) wasn't exactly reliable; delays and forced landings far from the original goal were commonplace.

Dothraki? If the prophecy is true then all Dothraki have to come to her. It took Dany what, around 6 months, to reach vaes dothrak. Then again she was in pentos and pentos isn't in the dothraki sea, so that's probably not so bad. Her other armies in Merren. Should take a while to sail to Westeros from there. Then again to go west you must go east, it's all very confusing.

Griff did well for himself when he landed with a fraction of his men.

59 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Feed your followers and make sure that the people you intend to conquer don't starve or invade during a winter. It is one ot the other.

It's Dany. She will not abando her people. It's very Liu Bei of her (whom I think she was based on. Dragon, waking a dragon, bloodriders, etc) You'll have just as much of a chance to convince her Westeros isnt her birth right. I don't know how she'll feed everyone, I don't know how Jon will either, or Stannis, or Roose. 

But the idea that she'll let her children starve or let a usurpers dog hold her land is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Ylath's Snout said:

It might work out but it give Dany's opponens more ammunition in a PR war. BoB shows the effectiveness of guerrilla warfare, Dany getting a bad rap would only fuel that sort of thing.

There are always outlaws in the forest. We're going in circles. Her pr is at bottom. Mad king, monsters, imp. Adding a disciplined calvery will not be why they resist Dany. 

If you wanna talk about "strange bedfellows" then the Northerner might as well ally with the Frey (after Walder and some more get punished for the RW) to help keep those nut bag Targs and their fire-fetish out of the North. 

What are you crazy? I'm not getting into this line of discussion unless you come with pertaining quotes

Doubly so if Dany become associated the Red God, aka that one faith that spits of westeros religious tolerances and bruns septs and Hearth Trees with glee.

Dude, the north is fighting for fucking Stannis. The red gods chosen,. Do you think anyone doubts what will happen when he reaches Winterfells Godswood?

Dany keep control of all three dragons and their riders is not a given. -cough cough- The Dance of the Dragons -cough cough-

... not really a great argument there. 

Your probably right, but that's too much speculation for me. Although even so Drogon is plenty

What's not great, that Tyrion and Drogon aren't fucking awesome? Well, that's my argument

24 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

If the prophecy is true then all Dothraki have to come to her.

(Assuming that prophecy isn't a bunch of hogwash.) No, that would have been Rhago. Dany isn't The Stallion That Mounts The World, she was going to give birth to him. One could stretch and say that one of Dany's dragons are TSTMTW but going by that logic Drogon would rule everything not Dany.

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

But the idea that she'll let her children starve or let a usurpers dog hold her land is ludicrous.

She can't do both during a winter.  GRRM has put a lot of effort into describing how much of a problem getting enough food and fire-wood to a army in the field during winter is. As you seem to be suggesting Dany would bring, all Dothraki, her Unsullied and any other sellwords or freed slaves willing to fight Dany, a much larger army than Stannis meaning larger supply demands. Her going "screw the established world building, I have a dragon" to magically not have starvation be a problem would be bizarre.

What's not great, that Tyrion and Drogon aren't fucking awesome? Well, that's my argument

They aren't miracle workers. If Tyrion was the kind of Solar-tier exalted you seem to think he is he wouldn't have gotten nabbed by Cat, his nose hacked off or chased from his homeland for a crime he didn't commit.

Dude, the north is fighting for fucking Stannis. The red gods chosen,. Do you think anyone doubts what will happen when he reaches Winterfells Godswood?

More likely the North is fighting for the North and Stannis is a useful idiot. Brunning the WF Gods Wood is a great way for Stannis to get himself super-killed.

Griff did well for himself when he landed with a fraction of his men.

Griff was a complete surprise. Dany isn't a going to have that advantage.

Her other armies in Merren. Should take a while to sail to Westeros from there.

That is another problem. Traveling by ship back then, more so is tightly packed ships transporting troops, was pretty dangerous. Bad food & water, transmittable diseases and scurvy can kill or weaken anyone. To minimise that problem Dany would have to use a western port of Essos, like Braavos, Myr or Pentos, as a staging ground but that would make her next move "pretty" apparent.

What are you crazy? I'm not getting into this line of discussion unless you come with pertaining quotes

Can you give me any quotes were a Northerner says "Aww man I'd love to team up with the last Targ and her army of slaves and slavers to take down the Frey"? No because that would have to happen in tWoW, at the earliest.

I don't think a Frey + the victims of the RW team-up is going to happen but you brought up the idea of "strange bedfellows" and I think that there is as much support for a Frey+RW alliance ans there is one for Dany+Northern one. That is to say none.

Archived