Avengers: Infinity War II (Not the real II) SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

10 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm hoping the heroes directly involved will remember though as otherwise the whole thing feels like a cheat.

This will likely happen, but limited to folks like Dr. Strange, Thor, Captain Marvel...

57 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

If Cap and Tony don't make it, I don't want everyone to forget them or their sacrifice :(

Although those are the greatest types of sacrifice when no one knows you make them. I think the avengers (or most of them) will remember if this happens. Although having the likes of cap and tony go through some time/gem thingy always makes it easier to bring back recast iterations several years later. Although I'd really like to see the films take on a legacy approach with other characters assuming the mantel of superhero identities.

15 minutes ago, red snow said:

Although I'd really like to see the films take on a legacy approach with other characters assuming the mantel of superhero identities.

I like legacy characters to interact with the originals - so my great hope is the first one we get in the MCU is Kamala.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Although those are the greatest types of sacrifice when no one knows you make them. I think the avengers (or most of them) will remember if this happens. Although having the likes of cap and tony go through some time/gem thingy always makes it easier to bring back recast iterations several years later. Although I'd really like to see the films take on a legacy approach with other characters assuming the mantel of superhero identities.

My suspicion is that the supposed time jumping in Avengers 4 will get things back to that Battle in Wakanda before the snap...that's when Cap and Tony could die in a blaze of glory sacrafice...people, except for some big guns, won't remember that there had been a snap...

8 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I like legacy characters to interact with the originals - so my great hope is the first one we get in the MCU is Kamala.

If that's the first one we may have to wait a while as Captain marvel hasn't even debuted in the films yet. I see what you mean about legacy characters interacting with their mentor first but it feels too soon to have a character emulating a hero who doesn't exist yet. We do already have winter soldier, falcon, war machine, valkyrie and (within MCU logic) Spiderman/iron spider as candidates where the original hero has had sufficient time to inspire legacy characters.

I guess "young avengers" would be another route they could take and ms marvel could be added to that roster. I think marvel had a "champions" comic recently that was an updated take on "young avengers"

Just wondering, can we expect that whole "half the heroes are gone" spiel from the end of the film to be reversed, partially or completely? Still feels unlikely to me that so many of the major names would now be gone for film 4.

10 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Just wondering, can we expect that whole "half the heroes are gone" spiel from the end of the film to be reversed, partially or completely? Still feels unlikely to me that so many of the major names would now be gone for film 4.

If they are trapped in the crystal rather than just dead the film could be as much about the "snapped" avengers as the survivors. Maybe winding up in a gem was part of Dr Strange's 1 in a billion success plans?

14 hours ago, red snow said:

If that's the first one we may have to wait a while as Captain marvel hasn't even debuted in the films yet. I see what you mean about legacy characters interacting with their mentor first but it feels too soon to have a character emulating a hero who doesn't exist yet. We do already have winter soldier, falcon, war machine, valkyrie and (within MCU logic) Spiderman/iron spider as candidates where the original hero has had sufficient time to inspire legacy characters.

As soon as I posted that I realised that the first legacy character we're mostly likely going to get is Bucky-as-Cap!

I can see whatever happens in Avengers 4 inspiring a whole new generation of heroes, maybe Kamala and Miles will be among them.

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Not sure if this counts but I assume we'll have Shuri as Black Panther pretty early in A4. 

Shuri will have a lot to do in A4!

She could be Queen and Black Panther (or M'Baku could be King and Black Panther) and she will have to help Rocket, Bruce and Tony figure out how to get everyone UnSnapped.

3 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

As soon as I posted that I realised that the first legacy character we're mostly likely going to get is Bucky-as-Cap!

I can see whatever happens in Avengers 4 inspiring a whole new generation of heroes, maybe Kamala and Miles will be among them.

Yeah, I think there's at least a loose plan for Bucky as the next captain America given how he's had an arc play out over several films by now.

I'm curious as to where Miles will fit in with the MCU. Hints were dropped about his dad/uncle in homecoming (played by David Glover) but I wonder whether Sony wants to keep Miles for themselves especially as he's the star of the upcoming animated film.

I think it's otherwise a great time to introduce some younger heroes as phase 4 rolls out. I'm hoping for some of Vision's family to appear but that's mainly because I want to see Paul Bettany do a Disney stream special on the Tom King Vision maxi-series. Forget Loki and Scarlet witch, that's what they want to adapt if they want to be taken seriously.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah, I think there's at least a loose plan for Bucky as the next captain America given how he's had an arc play out over several films by now.

I'm curious as to where Miles will fit in with the MCU. Hints were dropped about his dad/uncle in homecoming (played by David Glover) but I wonder whether Sony wants to keep Miles for themselves especially as he's the star of the upcoming animated film.

I think it's otherwise a great time to introduce some younger heroes as phase 4 rolls out. I'm hoping for some of Vision's family to appear but that's mainly because I want to see Paul Bettany do a Disney stream special on the Tom King Vision maxi-series. Forget Loki and Scarlet witch, that's what they want to adapt if they want to be taken seriously.

I think Bucky is the most likely.  Sam is already Falcon, and if he takes up the shield it will just be a 21st century version of Steve - whereas Bucky gives us a more angsty Cap, which we haven't had yet. 

Fitting into your third great idea, they could introduce a really young Miles, as Peter is still at school.  And maybe use this as a way to introduce younger characters like the Power Pack and Franklin Richards - which would be a new direction for the MCU!

And I would love to see a domesticated Vision - he rocks those cardigans!

2 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I think Bucky is the most likely.  Sam is already Falcon, and if he takes up the shield it will just be a 21st century version of Steve - whereas Bucky gives us a more angsty Cap, which we haven't had yet. 

Fitting into your third great idea, they could introduce a really young Miles, as Peter is still at school.  And maybe use this as a way to introduce younger characters like the Power Pack and Franklin Richards - which would be a new direction for the MCU!

And I would love to see a domesticated Vision - he rocks those cardigans!

It'll be really interesting to see how they introduce the FF to the MCU. Will they go with really young characters so they can get more films out of them or will they embrace the family element and have Ben, Sue and Reed as Tony stark intro old with a younger Johnny Storm? The latter allows them to have the FF kids around from the get go. To me the family aspect is central to the FF but I can see them wanting an origin film where they come together if only to help cement the distance from fant4stic.

Falcon is sort of "just there" as a character which is fine in the sense he seems well-adjusted but that doesn't necessarily translate to interesting to watch/hang a film from. Hopefully they'd keep him involved in a Bucky Cap film as it'd make for an interesting dynamic.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It'll be really interesting to see how they introduce the FF to the MCU. Will they go with really young characters so they can get more films out of them or will they embrace the family element and have Ben, Sue and Reed as Tony stark intro old with a younger Johnny Storm? The latter allows them to have the FF kids around from the get go. To me the family aspect is central to the FF but I can see them wanting an origin film where they come together if only to help cement the distance from fant4stic.

The family dynamic is one we don't have in the MCU yet - so I hope they go that way.  

There are loads of ways to get the FF in now that they've opened up the galaxy.  Maybe they are already out there and Captain Marvel and/or the Snappening brings them back to Earth?

Johnny could be at school with Peter!

Falcon is sort of "just there" as a character which is fine in the sense he seems well-adjusted but that doesn't necessarily translate to interesting to watch/hang a film from. Hopefully they'd keep him involved in a Bucky Cap film as it'd make for an interesting dynamic.

I don't think we need a Falcon film, but I do like him in the Cap films.  And I agree that he and Bucky-as-Cap would be a great dynamic, as they go forward and try to honour their friend.

I’m less convinced than everyone else here that Marvel have immediate plans for F4. They have plenty of other heroes to be getting on with, they’ve proved they can launch lesser known heroes ... F4 had two mediocre films and a recent unsuccessful relaunch. I just don’t see what the urgency is with it.

Yeah. Fantastic 4 also doesn't have the nostalgia factor for the 30 and 40 year olds that XMen and Avengers and Spidey all do. No one really cares that much. The biggest 'get' is Dr. Doom, who can be a phenomenal villain. 

I've seen some fans get quite excited at the Marvel getting FF back, they feel they can do the family right - finally -as they have proven they aren't afraid to go full-on trippy (Doctor Strange and Guardians).  As mentioned above, Marvel have had huge success with lesser known characters.  I think Marvel can do whatever they want at this point and the fans will gladly go with them.

The Fantastic Four can tell different stories to The Avengers and The Guardians, if Marvel want to go that way.

Archived