Why did Gendry...

JaneSnow

In ASTOS, after they get to this one village that appeared to have been burned awhile ago, which Notch claims was done by Hoster Tully, Gendry gave Arya "a queer look." Why? I'm not very good at understanding stuff like that sometimes thanks to my autism.

This is where it happened, I'm just posting a quote, for that sentence to be in a context, of what was happening:

The village was just where Notch had promised it would be. They took shelter in a grey stone stable. Only half a roof remained, but that was half a roof more than any other building in the village. It’s not a village, it’s only black stones and old bones. “Did the Lannisters kill the people who lived here?” Arya asked as she helped Anguy dry the horses.

“No.” He pointed. “Look at how thick the moss grows on the stones. No one’s moved them for a long time. And there’s a tree growing out of the wall there, see? This place was put to the torch a long time ago.”

“Who did it, then?” asked Gendry.

“Hoster Tully.” Notch was a stooped thin grey-haired man, born in these parts. “This was Lord Goodbrook’s village. When Riverrun declared for Robert, Goodbrook stayed loyal to the king, so Lord Tully came down on him with fire and sword. After the Trident, Goodbrook’s son made his peace with Robert and Lord Hoster, but that didn’t help the dead none.”

A silence fell. Gendry gave Arya a queer look, then turned away to brush his horse.

I think, that that look could mean one of this things:

1. either Gendry was sort of surprised, or couldn't believe, that Arya doesn't know about past of her own family, and what they did. That Arya is sort of ignorant of Tully's actions of the past;

2. or he didn't expected, that Arya's relatives, Tullys, did the same sort of thing, as Lannisters do now. That they were not any different, than current bad guys, that were causing wreck and havoc in Riverlands. Tullys burned entire village, because people that lived there, didn't wanted to rebel against their King, and didn't joined Robert's Rebellion. For their defiance, Hoster Tully killed them, and burned their village. So maybe Gendry was surprised, that Arya's relatives, that he though to be a good guys, did a thing like that.   

That's my interpretation.

56 minutes ago, JaneSnow said:

In ASTOS, after they get to this one village that appeared to have been burned awhile ago, which Notch claims was done by Hoster Tully, Gendry gave Arya "a queer look." Why? I'm not very good at understanding stuff like that sometimes thanks to my autism.

I see you have two good answers here already. I agree that it could be because Arya is half Tully, but who knows :dunno:

Also, use this with caution because with great power comes great responsibility ^_^, but the search of ice and fire site is a great help whenever you need to add a book quote to a post.  https://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q=queer+look+&povs[]=Arya

All through ACoK, Gendry and others tell Arya that Clegane's men ("lions") are not that much worse than the "wolves" - the smallfolk are being victimized by people fighting for both sides. So Gendry may consider this another good example for Arya, to illustrate that the world is not divided into "good guys" and "bad guys," and that war crimes can be committed by any one of the parties to a war.

I was interested to read recently that GRRM considers the book Ivanhoe to be one of the principal inspirations for ASOIAF. I haven't read the book, but I read the summary online after learning of the link to ASOIAF. Robin Hood is a character in Ivanhoe, along with his Merry Men. Although Robin Hood was an old character from legend, this was the first time he was clearly portrayed as a champion of the downtrodden, apparently. GRRM might be setting up Gendry to become the Robin Hood of ASOIAF, leading the Brotherhood Without Banners and restoring justice to the Riverlands.

10 hours ago, Seams said:

All through ACoK, Gendry and others tell Arya that Clegane's men ("lions") are not that much worse than the "wolves" - the smallfolk are being victimized by people fighting for both sides. So Gendry may consider this another good example for Arya, to illustrate that the world is not divided into "good guys" and "bad guys," and that war crimes can be committed by any one of the parties to a war.

I like this interpretation. It shows Arya having real growth and stepping away from a black and white mentally on war. 

10 hours ago, Seams said:

I was interested to read recently that GRRM considers the book Ivanhoe to be one of the principal inspirations for ASOIAF. I haven't read the book, but I read the summary online after learning of the link to ASOIAF. Robin Hood is a character in Ivanhoe, along with his Merry Men. Although Robin Hood was an old character from legend, this was the first time he was clearly portrayed as a champion of the downtrodden, apparently. GRRM might be setting up Gendry to become the Robin Hood of ASOIAF, leading the Brotherhood Without Banners and restoring justice to the Riverlands.

I don't know if hero is what Gendry is destined for. Or that the brotherhood can find its identity. Or if it ever really had one. It always came off as confused to me. "King's men who actively work against the king out of duty to follow the orders of a confessed traitor" ? The whole group has been a mass of contradictions since the beginning. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

I see you have two good answers here already. I agree that it could be because Arya is half Tully, but who knows :dunno:

Also, use this with caution because with great power comes great responsibility ^_^, but the search of ice and fire site is a great help whenever you need to add a book quote to a post.  https://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q=queer+look+&povs[]=Arya

Oh, I've used that before. I was just feeling too lazy to even do that.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:59 PM, JaneSnow said:

I've been puzzling at this as well, "a queer look" is pretty special. When Gendry thinks it looks like his head hurts. When arguing he gets a stubborn look. When people are confused they "mess their face up". So he isn't puzzling, its not about any argument and its not confusion. 

I'm thinking Gendry by this point might suspect who his dad is - and feels guilty for the village himself. Its the only thing I can come up with thats in line with what we know about Gendry's facial expressions. :D 

Archived