Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

17 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I couldn't stand the score.  Saxophone overload!  But in Scorsese's defense, he was doing a lot of cocaine at the time.

Legendary composer Bernard Herrmann did the score, and it was nominated for an Oscar. Just sayin...

6 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Never knew that was unpopular. I always thought Goblet of Fire was the best HP book as well. 

Actually, I think GoF is considered the worst HP movie. I think people were just "OK" with it. No one really loved it.

That said, in comparison to Yates' work, I think GoF was rather successful adaptation. The introduction of corporeal Voldemort was nicely done, IMO. Not as haunting as in books, but Fiennes did a great job.

But, I think people disliked Gambon's performance in this one. Dumbledore was too hysterical at times. And when I remember how the smackdown with Crouch Jr was done in the books, the way Dumbledore's eyes were described, the realization why Voldemort was afraid of Dumbledore, that all missed from Gambon's performance.

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

You’re dead to me. 

But seriously, not a classic? That’s just pure craziness. Maybe not to you, but it’s rightfully considered one of the best movies ever made by most cinephiles. 

It’s just not a classic to me is what I meant. I have no problem with Taxi Driver being considered an all-time classic.

Some unpopular opinions:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is imminently superior to the first Guardians movie, mainly because it has way more heart and emotional depth to it. The first Guardians is mostly just a bunch of funny jokes strung together around a bit of character stuff, some standard Marvel plotting, and a paper-thin villain.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is a pretty enjoyable movie in a silly, campy way. Into Darkness is easily the worst of the lot, by far.

The Lord of the Rings movies were completely right to leave out the Scouring and don't lose much by not including it.

Despite the fact that Westeros has, apparently, been reduced to the size of Rhode Island, the latest season of Game of Thrones was really, really enjoyable. Sure, you can feel the writers and showrunners fast-tracking right to the endgame, but gone is some of the nonsense they created to pad out the narrative in prior seasons. The plotting can be pretty dumb sometimes though, but that's not that big of a change, honestly.

Bladerunner 2049 is superior to the original film in almost every way except (weirdly) maybe visually. For as much as I love the original film, the pacing just absolutely grinds to a halt at points.

"Dad rock" is really a meaningless, bullshit term when used to describe older music. Basically, shorthand for "I want to be derogatory about older music but I don't want to go into the specifics as to why."

The Sex Pistol's legacy and the bands they helped inspire are far, far greater than their actual skill as songwriters and musicians.

"The Wall" would be a great album... if you cut out the filler and reduced it down to a single album worth of songs. As it is, it's about a mid-tier Pink Floyd album.

I fucking love, both ironically and unironically, 80's synthy pop music. It hits that sweet spot between happy and utterly campy.

Radiohead released The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, along with a couple of other albums that really aren't that great. A couple of good songs but nothing as cohesively good as those three albums.

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Never knew that was unpopular. I always thought Goblet of Fire was the best HP book as well. 

I could certainly be off on that. I always hear people say PoA is their favorite. Good book, but GoF is the only standalone book in the series imo. Nice transition from 1-3 into 5-7 which I think you can label as Part 1 and Part 2. 

Ooh, since Harry Potter is the current discussion right now...

I think PoA is really overrated, both as a movie and a book. I think it gets so much acclaim because, in both the book and movie, there is such a stylistic shift towards more adult plotting and themes. Especially in the movie, which is much more cinematically interesting than the rather boring and safe Chamber of Secrets and Sorcerer's Stone. But man, that bullshit time-travel deus ex machina plot device just ruins the whole thing for me, especially with the way it's never ever brought up again.

It would be a great story were it not for that one thing, but I just can't get over it.

4 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Ooh, since Harry Potter is the current discussion right now...

I think PoA is really overrated, both as a movie and a book. I think it gets so much acclaim because, in both the book and movie, there is such a stylistic shift towards more adult plotting and themes. Especially in the movie, which is much more cinematically interesting than the rather boring and safe Chamber of Secrets and Sorcerer's Stone. But man, that bullshit time-travel deus ex machina plot device just ruins the whole thing for me, especially with the way it's never ever brought up again.

It would be a great story were it not for that one thing, but I just can't get over it.

I have to agree with the time travel, although IIRC, Hermione at one point says that during the Battle of Ministry, they destroyed all the Time Turners. It always bugged me how Hermione got it. It is, after all, extremely powerful device and to give it to the student for class attendance is ludicrous. 

I found The Wolf of Wall Street to be tedious.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Big Lebowski is funny but it’s so overrated and isn’t as good as everyone says.

I think I'd agree with that, it's a decent film but I feel it didn't live up to its reputation. Out of the Coen's films I thought Fargo and Raising Arizona were much better than Lebowski.

24 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The hype that horseracing gets this time of year is nauseating. 

I always hate when a horse wins the first two races. Now we have to hear about a potential triple crown winner for a few weeks as if it’s the biggest accomplishment in human history!!!! Then the interviews with the rich assholes after the races with their huge hats and everyone is crying because they put so much effort into making an animal run faster. It’s all so absurd. 

The Witch was really boring, and not even close to being one of the better horror movies in recent years. If it was made by a major studio and wasn’t an arthouse film by A24 it wouldn’t have got anywhere near the praise it did by critics. 

I don't particularly like Quentin Tarantino movies, and hesitate to watch every time he makes a new movie. That being said, I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained

Having re-watched the original Blade Runner ahead of 2049's release last year, I realized that it's not as good as it's commonly rated. 2049 is better.

I don't care for Stanley Kubrik films. Granted I think I've seen only a couple, but I don't see what's so amazing about his style. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is ridiculously overrated. That film is 1 part good (the journey to Jupiter and the conflict between the humans and Hal), 1 part ok (the guys that are on the space station and go to the Moon, but it really doesn't seem to go anywhere), and 2 parts shite.  

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I don't care for Stanley Kubrik films. Granted I think I've seen only a couple, but I don't see what's so amazing about his style. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is ridiculously overrated. That film is 1 part good (the journey to Jupiter and the conflict between the humans and Hal), 1 part ok (the guys that are on the space station and go to the Moon, but it really doesn't seem to go anywhere), and 2 parts shite.  

Booooooooo.  I knew it was only a matter of time before Kubrick came up.  But I can definitely see how someone would consider 2001 overrated.  I wasn't a huge fan of the narrative.  However, you must take into account the fact that the film was released in 1968 and it still holds up better than most space films (Star Wars prequels).  

Have you given A Clockwork Orange a chance?  Also Lolita is fantastic but the humor is lost on some.  The Killing is very underrated, a great fantastic heist film.

22 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I always hate when a horse wins the first two races. Now we have to hear about a potential triple crown winner for a few weeks as if it’s the biggest accomplishment in human history!!!! Then the interviews with the rich assholes after the races with their huge hats and everyone is crying because they put so much effort into making an animal run faster. It’s all so absurd. 

Agreed completely. From coverage of rich royals to rich horse owners... Fucking gagging over here.

Oh, great that someone else brought up Harry Potter. I love the Prisoner of Azkaban as a book (not an unpopular opinion) but I fucking loathe the movie (very unpopular opinion). Everything about it is shite, only the sixth film is worse but that doesn't count because it's barely a movie.

There is just so much to despise in that film. It's barely lit, Gary Oldman is a poor Sirius Black, Draco gets an emo haircut, the dementors are lame, they just shit all over continuity (compare Hagrid's house in the Philosopher's stone with his house in this one), completely do away with what made this series magical (why the fuck is everyone wearing muggle clothes all the time), nerved Ron and worst of all - it created fetus wolf, which is just an afront to every piece of werewolf fiction ever. 

EDIT1: And yes I include Twilight under that banner
EDIT2: And yes, I know Taylor Lautner is technically not a werewolf
EDIT3: And yes, I am ashamed that I know that much about the series

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I generally agree here. I can see his (visual and other) brilliance but all his really famous films are way to emotionally distant for me to really enjoy. There is this clinical detachment that I just don't care for. That's why I love Paths of Glory because it's the one Kubrick film that in my opinion has heart. It's also one of the reasons why Full Metal Jacket is such a waste, because the first part of the film also has a lot of emotion in it. A shame he ruined it by tacking on an entire second half.

57 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

You’re dead to me. 

But seriously, not a classic? That’s just pure craziness. Maybe not to you, but it’s rightfully considered one of the best movies ever made by most cinephiles. 

That’s why I feel bad because I’m def a cinephile in my own way and I work in a movie store ahahahahha. But I just...think it’s OK. I like the mirror scene. But other than that I’m not hugely fussed. I thought Nightcrawler was way better. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s one of those movies I just don’t get either. I figured it was because I originally watched it when I was younger so I gave it another go a few months ago, and still think the same. It’s not a bad movie but just not a classic IMO. De Niro didn’t blow me away with his performance either and I’m a big fan of his(Don’t hate me, Nictarion). 

Agreed totally!

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Of course YOU, my dearest, don't hate it. You are the sweetest of the sweet people around here :D 

That said, Twilight is a piece of ...

I’m not sure if you have me mixed up with someone else but this made me smile nonetheless so I’ll take it :lol:

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The first one already hurt enough... :(

I’m sorry friend :P I sort of feel bad about not loving them more if that’s any consolation ahahah 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

But seriously I've heard other people say the same thing or worse. It's better with a crowd but it's still one of my favorites. 

I started watching Preacher and one of the characters said it and I was like OMG YES THANK YOU. I felt validated lol 

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The Witch was really boring, and not even close to being one of the better horror movies in recent years. If it was made by a major studio and wasn’t an arthouse film by A24 it wouldn’t have got anywhere near the praise it did by critics. 

It’s a very polarizing film. People seem to either really like it or hate it because it’s slow. I love it but absolutely get why it’s not a movie for everyone.

I also think all the hype and rave reviews it gets actually hurts its cause. I think some people are expecting a classic type horror movie and it’s not that at all. Reading up on the lore and hearing the directors take on everything helps out a lot but not everyone wants to put that much effort into a film and that’s very understandable.

Archived